Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   3 Days smoke-free MAJOR withdrawl! HELP (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173208)

meltinaway Tue, Mar-16-04 20:22

3 Days smoke-free MAJOR withdrawl! HELP

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been smoke free for 3 days now and I feel much better physically, however, my nerves on a scale of 1-10 are ZERO! I have been fighting with my husband all day long and got into an arguement at work as well. I NEVER argue and I cannot figure out how to get control over this. My boss looked at me today and said, "Mona, please go smoke!"

Does anyone know how long the withdrawl symptoms will last? I am beginning to hate the way I sound. I remind myself of Roseanne on CRACK!

Any suggestions?

By the way, I had gained 1.5 pounds but lost it this morning and I am back at 313. I am hoping I will not gain any more.

newme2b Tue, Mar-16-04 20:51

Okay...take deep breaths. Go sit by yourself in a quiet room and close your eyes and relax...go have a long hot soap in the tub...do something for YOU.

But do NOT...and I repeat...DO NOT give in to temptation. The only way out is to tough it through the hard times and KNOW that one day (maybe not as soon as you'd like) it gets sooo much better.

Quitting is tough. YOU have to be tougher (and I KNOW you are!)

I used Kava Kava when I quit smoking (but now they have banned it in Canada), but it worked wonders for anxiety. I used it when things were really tense and it was wonderful.

hummelda Tue, Mar-16-04 22:37

Mona, Hang in there. I don't remember how long it took for the pain to go away but however long it takes, you and your health are worth it. I wouldn't think it would be that bad for more than a week or two --- you are strong -- you can do it!!!

I'm supporting you all the way!

diemde Tue, Mar-16-04 22:40

It takes about 72 hours, so you should be getting close to the end. Just go think about something else, clean house, take a bath, whatever you can do to keep busy. Good luck.

ValerieL Wed, Mar-17-04 08:04

Look at it this way, if you give up now, you just have to do this all over again at some other date in the future. It's almost over (the worst part) so stick it out and it will be done forever.

And shame on your boss for telling you to go smoke!

Congrats on doing so well!

Valerie

teresamay Wed, Mar-17-04 08:59

I wish I could offer advice, but I have never been a smoker - but, I will keep you in my prayers, and send postiive "no smoking" messages your way :)

itsgottago Wed, Mar-17-04 09:58

You are succeeding! You are almost through the worst! There is an accupressure point on your ear. Put your finger on the inside of your earlope on the top. Move it forward until it hits the ridge and then push for a few seconds. This will release seritonin. Smoking releases seritonin, so your brain is waiting for a signal to release it, and its not getting one. Pressing on that spot on your ear should help. You are powerful, you can get through this! Winston Churhill said, "If you're going through hell, Keep Going!!

Rocky_Cdn Wed, Mar-17-04 10:22

Hi Mona,

I don't smoke, but my fingers are crossed for you. I was grouchy when I stopped drinking iced tea for this WOL (probably the caffeine?) and I tried to keep myself busier, like diemde suggested. I know it's not at the same level, but I hope it helps you. Maybe at work instead of a smoke break, you can take a 15-minute walk break?

Good luck!!! :thup:

Rocky

meltinaway Wed, Mar-17-04 13:09

Wow, today is much better. I feel great this morning and the withdrawl symptoms seem to have almost disappeared. Thanks everyone for all of your support.

Ellen-mom Wed, Mar-17-04 14:36

Good for you. I quit 7 1/2 years ago, and I have never been sorry I did.

memaw O5 Thu, Mar-18-04 08:37

My mother died in 2001 from cpo caused by a life of smoking. I sat with her in the hospital the last week sleeping in her room so if she woke up at night she would not be afraid. You are doing the right thing not only for yourself but for your children as well. What ever the discomfort you suffer now you save yourself from worse in the end. And you spare your children the pain of seeing you suffer as well.