Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Would someone please come take my scale away? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=91561)

blatla Mon, Mar-10-03 10:10

Would someone please come take my scale away?

I think the blasted thing is broken...it seems stuck in one place (up a few pounds from last week). I have resolved to stay OFF of it until next Sunday. I only write down my weight/measurements on a weekly basis anyway...so why obsess over every little up and down in between, right? I'm not going to weigh...I'm not going to measure. I'm just going to eat right, keep up the exercise (4x/wk), drink all the water I can hold and know that eventually, something will change.

My kids and I are on spring break this week but I'm not going to let that sidetrack me. I got up (granted, a little later than usual) and did my TaeBo tape...even though I really felt like staying in bed. I won't give up.

Just needed the accountability of posting it for all the board to see. Have a great week!

Tricia

Teuthis Mon, Mar-10-03 10:15

Patience

I wouldn't be weighing so often. It just makes you crazy. For a while, focus on whether your clothes are looser, you feel better, you can move more easily and you are more flexible. And then weigh every couple of weeks if you must. I weigh once a month, and I look in the mirror on occasion. You may see the difference before the scale does.

Good Luck!

SAHM2one Mon, Mar-10-03 10:20

I know what you mean, I have been addicted to the scale before. It is irritating because then you see every fluctuation. The best thing is to stay off and only weigh yourself once a week or less. Which is what you are planning to do! :)

Keep up the good work!

Alina Mon, Mar-10-03 10:31

Patience

Please check this out:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=91369

There are so many positive effects of lowcarbing, the weight loss is what we have to wait for, feeling good comes in no time.
Surely it's worth it?

Alina

blatla Mon, Mar-10-03 10:43

Wow, Alina! Thanks for that link. It really helps to keep things into perspective. I AM experiencing lots of other great benifits aside from weight loss. I need to start being grateful for those changes, rather than frumping around and grumbling about what *hasn't* changed.

Tricia

bigguyjonc Mon, Mar-10-03 10:44

I know what u mean..

I have been stuck for 2 wks at the same weight. I have been weighing every day for 3 days. up a pound down a pound up a pound down a pound. I am thinking about weighing once every 2 wks ,but i might just kill myself if only weighed once every 2 wks and had gained. i think i will stick to once a wk.. bye bye..

Jon

Laura-Lyn Mon, Mar-10-03 10:55

Scale away from home

I stopped my DH from buying a scale. Instead I weigh myself on a GNC scale once a week at the mall (sometimes every two weeks if I'm too busy). Having to go out keeps me from over-weighing myself. It costs a dollar and you get a little printout of your current weight, accurate to the ounce, and your ideal weight based on the body stats you input. I like to pin them to my fridge for inspiration. For entertainment value it also prints out your horoscope and lucky lotto numbers. If I win the lottery while losing weight I'll let you all know. :D

Frederick Mon, Mar-10-03 10:57

Hi Blatla,

I've never had owned a scale before. Even now, I still don't have one.

I used to never weigh myself (I'm sure we can all remember a time in our youth where we can just about eat anything without restriction and never gain a pound) but I have started to especially after the last couple of years when I ballooned up in weight. Sometimes, when I'm curious about my weight, I'd walk around looking for a place where I can get on a scale--like a gym, a fitness center, or some kind of health clinic.

Being the quintessential opportunist that I am, wouldn't it be ideal if you can give your scale to me? LOL Kill two birds with a single stone. I'd have a scale, and you would no longer be haunted by one. Perfect!

Have a great one!

csj Mon, Mar-10-03 10:57

Don't despair, Tricia, change will come. Your body is changing, even if that silly scale doesn't measure consistently. They don't, you know. Especially those things we have at home -- very inaccurate. Also, you really didn't/don't have much to lose so weight loss in pounds may be slow. I agree, just concentrate on the good stuff and let the pounds take care of themselves.

Cindy

Alina Mon, Mar-10-03 10:59

Tricia,

glad it did help..... :sunny:
You've got it! Forgetting everything else and concentrating only on numbers and pounds will only have the opposite effect. It's hard, I know...
Good luck!

Alina

Puggy Mon, Mar-10-03 16:27

I got rid of my scale about the same time I started wearing bi-focals. To save 4 or 5 ounces, I would take my glasses off and as a result, couldn't read the numbers. After falling over buck naked once or twice while getting as close as I could to the dial trying to read the dang thing, I finally said "To Hell with it" and have been scale free ever since.
I now stop in at the local Rite Aid every other month to use thier scale with a vocal read and large print flashing bright red digital numer indicator. I do have to wear clothes, but at least I can take my glasses off.