Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Had a one day planned carb cheat (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123576)

debmarjs Thu, Jul-17-03 14:27

Had a one day planned carb cheat

I went away to a family members birthday party and I planned on enjoying all the food that was offered. So I had a slice of wheat bread,some high fiber cerel,baked ziti,and 2 slices of birthday cake. I enjoyed the food but wasnt over powered by them either. I dont feel guilty either because I did plan the cheat. Well now that I am back on plan I was wondering if I should go real low carb like 20 grams a day or should I just go back to my normal 50 grams a day?

Jennifer7 Thu, Jul-17-03 14:32

Sorry that I don't have an answer to your question, but I am curious. Why did you do a planned cheatday? Were you just really craving carbs or did you do it as a reward or was there some other reason? I have seen a few threads with topics about planned cheats but I have never really read them before.

atiaran Thu, Jul-17-03 14:45

I always do 1-2 days of lower carbs after I have a day with higher than normal carb intake - especially if it was sugars and refined carbs. Generally though, I try not to eat that stuff cause I feel so bad the next day.

debmarjs Thu, Jul-17-03 14:46

I planned a cheat day because I new that at the party I wouldnt have much to eat if I didnt. I also wanted to see if I could shock my system into losing again. I heard of people that would have a cheat day and then resume lowcarbing and getting a whoosh. No I didnt have craving and I still dont. Just tasted like food to me lol I was hungry. I didnt gain any weight from it I also didnt bloat so thats good. I will wait and see if I lose in the next couple days.

acwelch Thu, Jul-17-03 14:46

You are a better person than I. I am on day 3 this time, but have tried to get back on the wagon countless times. I eat one bad meal, and by the time I figure it has thrown me out of ketosis, I cheat for 3 more days, then if I want to get back on, I am a week behind, as it will be 3 more til I'm in ketosis again.

Does anyone else check their ketosis?? I havent seen any posts about that yet.

monogram Thu, Jul-17-03 14:47

Whenever I've cheated, I've gone back to induction for two weeks before returning to my CCL. I don't know that it's necessary, though.

For anyone else planning a cheat, the old, un-revised Atkins book suggested a 1-hour cheat. The idea was to only do this once or twice a year, but if you just can't stand to miss Mom's sweet potato pie at Christmas, eat all you want within a 1 hour window.

The science behind it was that if you keep all the carbs to 60 minutes while you're strictly following a LC plan, your blood sugar won't be thrown out of whack like it will if you binge on carbs for a whole day.

I went home to Mississippi last fall and I just wanted to eat a Po Boy so bad. I hadn't had one since moving out to Los Angeles. So I planned a 1 hour cheat, and ate two Po Boys plus gravy fries plus a Barq's root beer.

Sure enough, by keeping it to 1 hour, I didn't get any wild cravings, I didn't go out of ketosis and I didn't see any damage on the scale.

But I'll only use it for emergencies. I've been on Atkins for a year (this week!) and that's the only time I've used it.

Jeff

acwelch Thu, Jul-17-03 14:49

That is the neatest thing I have ever heard... a 1 hr cheat!! Next time I fall off, I will try to get back on within an hour. That reminds me of the 10 second rule about food hitting the floor :)

Thanks for the insite. I guess I am my worst enemy

scorpio381 Thu, Jul-17-03 15:05

Thanks for that little tidbit, Jeff! I'd never heard that before....but I like it!!!

:-)

hippygal Thu, Jul-17-03 15:06

Even with the 1 hour cheat you will be knocked out of ketosis. You just shouldn't have terrible cravings because your insulin doesn't spike as high. Be careful with that.

mammoth Thu, Jul-17-03 17:39

ONE HOUR CHEAT.

Do you realize the damage I could do in one simple hour, if you let me lose in an Italian Pastry Shop? OMG...The thought is simply staggering!

I suppose I will have crazy dreams tonight now! :lol:

Best to all;
Happy Jake

potatofree Thu, Jul-17-03 18:09

I dunno.....

I've found the times I've cheated, I have a really hard time being "good" again. Thankfully, the times I did cheat, I got kind of sick from it. Kind of like gastrointestinal Catholic guilt....

KristyC Thu, Jul-17-03 20:12

LOL Jake!!!

joe_ Thu, Jul-17-03 22:04

just go do a hard workout and you will burn all those carbs right off, store them as glucose in your muscles and be back in ketosis in no time... that 1 day "cheat" is the same thing as a cyclonic keto diet... not gonna effect ya unless you don't burn it off, but if you don't exercise hard right after it(within 12-24 hours)...yeah its probably going to go straight to fat.

BillyGoatB Fri, Jul-18-03 01:46

I do a cheat hour every week. It keeps me happy and I have been losing weight as well.

c_cat Fri, Jul-18-03 04:33

how about - a cheat hour once a day? once an hour?

mmmm