Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Let's talk about Oatmeal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175897)

armywife3 Tue, Mar-30-04 19:01

Let's talk about Oatmeal

I love oatmeal. I have tried flax o meal and I am still having nightmares about it. I want the real deal. Is there any low carb version of oatmeal that actually tastes like oatmeal? How bad is the real deal? I am to the point where I may have to just break down, save up some carbs and eat a bowl of the real thing. I have heard some people say soemthing about steel oats. Can anyone help? I miss my oatmeal.

Kathy54 Tue, Mar-30-04 19:09

I re-introduced real oatmeal during OWL almost at my goal.

This is my mix.

1/4 rolled oats.
1/4 cup of Ground flax meal
3 Tbsp of Wheat germ.

Water to cover, Microwave at power 6, for 2:30 min
Add berries, nuts, Divinci sweeter if needed, cream, cream cheese, what ever you can.

I can't see how doing this will do any harm, eating a big honking bowl of just oatmeal, yep it could do some harm :)

I eat this at least 4 times a week.

Enjoy Kathy

CindyG Tue, Mar-30-04 19:14

I'm eating the Keto Oatmeal almost everyday. It does NOT taste exactly like oatmeal. The first time I had it, I thought Ick! But now I add about 1/2 tblsp of butter and a dash of cinnamon and I really enjoy it. It might not be the real deal, but I have come to really enjoy the hot cereal! It also only has 3 net carbs, no sugar alcohols, so it's a pretty good thing.

fridayeyes Tue, Mar-30-04 19:15

Steel cut oats are the least refined version of oatmeal that I am aware of. They can be hard to find. They are pretty good on the glycemic scale, although I don't know the exact number. I eat them and I am still losing. My suggestion would be to start with a very small amount - maybe 1/2 cup dry, and eat other LC things at the same time. I sometimes mix whey protein in with mine, but I prefer the taste of the plain oats.

Let us know how it goes. I believe they are a good food, despite being a dreaded grain. ;)

Cheers,

Friday

LadyBelle Tue, Mar-30-04 19:26

I make my own hot cereal. I love it and I'm not an oatmeal fan.

2 tbsp ground flax seeds
2 tbsp unprocessed wheat bran
1 scoop designer whey protien powder
Flavorings (usually just cinnimon and maybe a sweetner like stevia)

I put in enough water to make it wet, then microwave for 1 min. When it cmoes out I add more liquid, such as LC milk, cream, or some DaVincci syrup for flavor. I found the peach was amazing in this,

Cindy007 Tue, Mar-30-04 19:30

This tastes exactly like oatmeal! At least to someone who hasn't had oatmeal in a while? Mix 1/3 cup TVP (texturized vegetable protein...available in bulk bins at health food stores) w/ 1 tbsp ground flax. Add hot water until you get the consistency you like. Flavor as you would oatmeal. I like to add davinci syrup, cinnamon, butter or splenda. Yum!! And TVP is low calorie and low carb and high in protein. Bon apetit.

--Cindy

Elsah Tue, Mar-30-04 20:53

I use the steel cut oats and LOVE them! 1/4 cup of dry oats to 1 cup water then top with heavy cream, walnuts and sugarfree maple syrup. YUM! It usually keeps me full for hours too. I just bought some oat bran which is higher fiber and less carbs but I haven't tried it yet. Not sure where on the GI it rates when compaired to the steel cut oats though.

Jenn

Katie_K Wed, Mar-31-04 06:57

I was also going to suggest steel cut oats. I've found them in our grocery store in the cereal aisle with the organic/healthy cereals. The brand I found is McCann's Irish Oatmeal. It's in a metal tin. It takes a long time to cook them but you can make a big batch at the beginning of the week, refrigerate and microwave your smaller portions each morning.

I can understand your frustration with eggs. I can't stomach them in the morning and I've just about had it with Mock Danish. Can't wait for OWL so I can start eating things like the steel cut oats.

Fridaylove Wed, Mar-31-04 07:23

wow...I make a flax meal oatmeal with wheat bran...it's really good....
A lot of people say to microwave it...that makes it taste like paste in my eyes, I like to boil the water, add in the ingrediants and cook it, just like oatmeal :-)

Paris Wed, Mar-31-04 07:35

I also love oatmeal! I have not added it back in to my plan yet, but I cannot wait to do so. My favorite "recipe" is 1/4 cup steel-cut oats with 2 tbsp wheat bran and 2 tbsp almond butter made with hot water and a bit of cream and DV syrup to sweeten... best stuff in the world. :D

yvonne326 Wed, Mar-31-04 07:44

I eat plain - not quick - oatmeal 1-2X a week and I did this thru OWL with no adverse affects...actually never fell out of ketosis after eating this. I eat FLAX cereal too...and actually like it as long as you doctor it up with cream, splenda and some fruit or syrup.

Rosie Real Wed, Mar-31-04 07:47

The TVP "fauxtmeal" really does have the taste and texture of oatmeal. It's worth a shot, TVP is really cheap. :)