Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Do YOU only count carbs? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169386)

4beans4me Thu, Feb-26-04 11:18

Do YOU only count carbs?

I recently have been trying to only count the carbs, as I was becoming a slave to fitday, pie charts/ratios, calories, fat, numbers in general. I keep worrying about the cals in the back of my head. (out of curiosity, I plugged in my foods for yesterday, and I ate almost 2000 calories!:eek: My fat/cal/carb ratios were right on, YAY!, but I used to stay between 1500-1600 cals) I am looking for stories from people who have succeeded by only counting carbs and who are eating high fat with no worries.

TIA!

AFwife Thu, Feb-26-04 11:24

You know me! I don't count a thing. I use to and therefore now know how much I need to eat to stay at just bellow 20g's. I only worry about eating alot of FAT and it takes care of the rest.

Averaging 10 pounds a month without the headache of counting calories or carbs.

Lily :yay:

Alopex Thu, Feb-26-04 11:29

I have to count a bunch of things because I'm TKDing, so my protein counts have to be decent and I have to count workout-related carbs too. I let fat take care of itself, and try to keep my net calories (total cal-cal exercised) within a certain range. No trouble for me, though, and it helps me to find things that are helping and hindering my progress.

Demi Thu, Feb-26-04 12:22

I only count carbs, and then only fairly loosely. Like Lily, I find that I can easily 'eyeball' the amount I'm eating.

The only time I had a problem was when I decided to use Fitday - I became such a slave to it, that in the end I totally blew my woe, and ended up putting a lot of weight back on.

Now I steer well clear - though I know that a lot of other people find it helpful.

ndhulst Thu, Feb-26-04 12:27

Not that I am a big loser yet hehe...
but I don't really count anything either...I eyeball the carbs and make sure I am getting enough fat...I can tell if I haven't eaten enough fat and calories ( I always seem to be on the low end of calories and such)

since I know which foods have more and such if I know I am eating a lot of carbs at a meal...then I try and make the next meal less...

its just easier for me then I don't feel like I am on a diet persay..just watching what I eat:)

maggieb Thu, Feb-26-04 12:37

I don't eat any LC frankenfood or dairy so most of my carbs only come from veggies and the odd treat of some berries I know my carbs are around 20. I always cook with olive oil and add butter to cooked veggies I don't worry about my fat content. So for me this is a worry free diet.

Tho I have been in a bit of a stall :cry: (three weeks) I just joined our local health club so I am sure the scale will start moving again or the clothes will start sloshing around me :dazzle: I hope!!

Shannonp Thu, Feb-26-04 12:39

I don't count either -- more vague guess-timates. When I over analyzed everthing I ate, my loss was actually slower. Now that I'm more relaxed about it I'm moving down at a reasonable steady rate. But, of course, everyone's different.

maggieb Thu, Feb-26-04 12:41

Okay that was weird there were words there...honest!

Because I don't eat any LC frankenfood or dairy I don't count carbs cause the only carbs I get are veggies and the odd treat of some berries.....
My fat content is always high as I cook with olive oil and add butter to any cooked veggies (YUM)

I am in a three week stall :cry: but have joined the local gym :yay: so hope that will make the clothes start sloshing around me real soon!!

AFwife Thu, Feb-26-04 12:46

MaggieB, I saw your words don't worry I just highlighted it.

:lol:

You could always go back and edit it and change the color instead of redoing it. HINT!

Lily

pd Rydia Thu, Feb-26-04 13:04

I'm too lazy to count anything but carbs.

maggieb Thu, Feb-26-04 13:10

Hi Lily...That is just tooo weird !!! When I highlighted them I saw them too!!! What did I do......format them in white or what?????

RD64 Thu, Feb-26-04 13:44

carbs only here. keep it simple

paradise Thu, Feb-26-04 14:16

I used to use FitDay, but what I ate and how much was starting to take over me (much like with pre-LCing and what landed me here in the first place). So, I stopped counting. I have a pretty good handle on how many carbs I'm taking in. I haven't had problem with keeping my fat % up, but now, if I "know" something is very caloric, I go easy on it because in maintenance, it's not just the carbs, I find too many calories makes me gain weight.

ashley1 Thu, Feb-26-04 14:32

Carbs only - but I also "eyeball" it as I have been doing this long enough to know. I have a frankenfood treat per week and once the ones in my house are gone, there will be no more. I eat WAY too many nuts, butI love them, know they add up the cals tho..

AFwife Thu, Feb-26-04 14:39

Hi MaggieB,

It looks like you may have accidently chosen the color white in your format.

:lol:

You got it straight now.

Lily