Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   CAD/CALP (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Do you watch your fat intake? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173451)

ndelacourt Wed, Mar-17-04 23:07

Do you watch your fat intake?

I am so confused about so many different diets...it's making me crazy.

I have been following Atkins faithfully for 3 months now...and have lost 5 lbs....yes that is only 5 lbs.

CALP is making sense to me, about the artificial sweeteners causing insulin surges (which I know is a problem)....I had a 3 hour glucose test in January and am borderline diabetic. My fasting blood sugar is normal, but when I have sweets, especially liquid sweets (pop), I go just slightly above normal...but at 3 hours I crashed and was hypoglycemic.

Anyway...tonight I decided to have a RM. After having only eggs with cheddar for breakfast. Turkey with vegetables for lunch, a small handful of peanuts for snack, then veal chop and caesar salad no croutons for dinner, then an apple fritter donut for dessert.

Anyway...my curiosity is fat. Do you watch your fat intake as well? As Dr Atkins said high saturated fat is ok as long as you don't have carbs, but with the RM idea, should you have low sat fat all day?

Thanks!
Natascha

Vel Thu, Mar-18-04 04:42

The nice thing is...

That you only have to worry about sticking strictly to the list of CM-acceptable foods, the Hellers have already done the work for us of figuring out what works. I believe that most of the foods on that list would work out to be lower in fat, but not necessarily (like bacon, for instance). So long as you stick to that list of foods, your insulin should not rise and you can then enjoy a nice reward meal.

You probably already realize.. peanuts aren't on CAD for anytime other than reward meals. And be careful that the veggies you use are CM approved too, since Atkins has lots that are RM only for us.

Good luck with CAD if you decide to try it. It really is a simple program once you get into the swing of it :)

adukart Thu, Apr-29-04 08:30

But, is it ok to eat high fat and carbs at the RM? I don't remember reading about this in the CAD book.

Vel Thu, Apr-29-04 10:13

Yup

You can eat any level of fat you wish at the reward meal. You don't have to worry about the fat, only about balancing the protein, carbs and low-carb veggies. Sometimes it will be high fat, sometimes lower.

AL2105 Thu, Apr-29-04 19:24

Al2105

I monitor my fat intake, but mostly to ensure that I get about 60% of my calories from fat. :)

Carny Fri, Apr-30-04 06:13

I have losing at a snails pace so I decided to reduce my fat intake at CM's and using lower fat butter at RM's. It seems to be helping, I am starting to see numbers on the scale that I haven't seen in a long time. I think lowering the fat helps. In the CAD book I have they do suggest keeping the fat lower at CM's.