Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I hate eating vegetables! What to do? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=50038)

do21little Tue, Jul-09-02 18:52

I hate eating vegetables! What to do?

1 Attachment(s)
I know that you have to eat your carbs through veggies but I hate them and truly can't stand to eat them. It is not a mental choice but a physical one. when I try to consume them I get nauseous and gag on them. Is there anyother way to eat simple carbs?

Cinderella Tue, Jul-09-02 19:24

I use to hated veggies too....Now I cook them in tons of butter and garlic. I also dab on the sour cream or melt cheese on them...veggies don't need to be eatten all plain and blah....what would you put on a baked potato??....put it on your veggies!!

Give it a try!!

cin

penelope Tue, Jul-09-02 21:17

I also have off days with the greens so yesterday after a staring match with the spinash
I opened a jar of chicken broth boiled it added the spinash then pureed it in the pan with a hand blender and served it with a dollop of sour cream.
I often punish my v.g.`s that way.Good luck

Sephy Tue, Jul-09-02 22:59

I have that problem with veggies too. I don't like leafy veggies(except cooked spinach), or crunchy veggies :(
On the other hand, I love tomatoes, and all beans(chickpeas included). Most green vegetables I don't like much either

Misty Wed, Jul-10-02 06:36

I have the exact same problem. No matter how much butter and cheese I put on my vegetables, I still know they're there. I don't like to ruin my yummy meat dishes with vegetables in them.
What I do, is cook them and eat them with butter and eat them FIRST. Then as my reward (almost like dessert), I eat my meat plain. I still feel like I'm doing low-fat when I eat vegetables. I just can't find a way to disquise them.

vbrowne Wed, Jul-10-02 06:42

Try making a wrap, use turkey breast or roast beef - slather on mayo with a little blue cheese dressing, then add some shredded lettuce, mushrooms, celery, cheese (or whatever you'd like) then roll it up, use some sour cream and guacamole to dip (I use some salsa too, but watch the carbs). This should help you with your veggie problem.

klaus74 Wed, Jul-10-02 06:44

I cant stand veggies either.. but here is what I found..

Slices of cucumber make for a passable snack "chip" with a french onion dip..

Outback ceasar salads are like crack.... you might (like I) end up now having a salad a day.. (granted all it is ..is romane lettuce and parm cheese.. with dressing).

I still cant stand most veggies... but I have quantities of others that kinda sort of make up for it.. But I did notice that for a few weeks when I did not have any.. I didnt feel as good.. and the weight was slower....

sometimes we suffer for results... if his was easy.. this forum would not exist..

tofi Wed, Jul-10-02 07:47

You might want to check out a health food store and look at that supplement called Greens+ I gather from its commercials that it is supposed to be a veggie substitute. But I have NOT read the labels and am not endorsing it.

The suggestions above are really good and may change your ideas and feelings. One's tastes change on this way of eating.

Another suggestion: cook up a bunch of veggies, then puree them into soup & drink them.

Or try 'faux tatoes'. Cook fresh or frozen cauliflower until quite soft & mash. Add cream cheese, onion flakes and a bit of cream and blend (electric beater works well.) Tastes like fantastic potatoes.

:wave:

Sephy Wed, Jul-10-02 10:20

Cucumbers are the only crunchy veggie I like, save for carrots, which are OK. Onions, peppers, and lettuce are the worst. I have never in my life eaten a real salad. Just can't stand it.