Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Emotional Issues & Body Image (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   aspartame linked to depression (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181)

doreen T Mon, Nov-20-00 10:51

Psychiatry 1993 Jul 1-15;34(1-2):13-7

Adverse reactions to aspartame: double-blind challenge in patients from a vulnerable population.

Walton RG, Hudak R, Green-Waite RJ

This study was designed to ascertain whether individuals with mood disorders are particularly vulnerable to adverse effects of aspartame. Although the protocol required the recruitment of 40 patients with unipolar depression and a similar number of individuals without a psychiatric history, the project was halted by the Institutional Review Board after a total of 13 individuals had completed the study because of the severity of reactions within the group of patients with a history of depression. In a crossover design, subjects received aspartame 30 mg/kg/day or placebo for 7 days. Despite the small n, there was a significant difference between aspartame and placebo in number and severity of symptoms for patients with a history of depression, whereas for individuals without such a history there was not. We conclude that individuals with mood disorders are particularly sensitive to this artificial sweetener and its use in this population should be discouraged.

:eek: N.B. - it's worth noting that although this study was done in 1993, the current Nutrasweet (brand name of aspartame) website recommendeds the "safe" dose for adults at 50mg/kg/per day. Hmmmmmm.......

[Edited by doreen T on 20-11-00 at 12:20]

tamarian Mon, Nov-20-00 18:13

I wonder if similar studies have been done on sugar and/or other sugar substitutes? I have a "feeling" there might be some similarities.

Wa'il

MysticAnkh Wed, Oct-22-03 11:45

WOW this is interesting. Thanks for the info. I know I'm having some major depression issues and mood swings... I know it's related to sugar intake because I've been paying attention to my body a lot lately and I seem to get moody when I sneak in some carbs or sweets. . and I drink a diet soda a day with aspartame ..hmm I need to stop and see how the moods go.

paty Wed, Oct-29-03 23:21

OMG!

This article floored me! I've been drinking so much diet mt. dew lately (for the caffeine boost - not a fan of coffee) & have also had the worst depressive spells. I never even thought of correlating the two. I fwded the article to my dr. Wonder what she'll say. Thanks for the thread!

Paty

Sterlina Sun, Nov-09-03 09:54

Damn it, Diet Coke is my life.. :( Oh well... Ive always had a problem with depression until I started this WOE.. since April or so, Ive been feeling relatively normal with very few depressive spells.... I'd rather be depressed and full of caffeine than happy with excrutiating withdrawal headaches.. :D

ItaliaGirl Sat, Dec-20-03 10:19

Thats most fantastic information.

Very thought provoking indeed.

I was addicted to Diet Coke until recently and my mood has lifted.

Very thought provoking.

xxx