Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   How did you figure out your goal weight? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178724)

loserbaby Thu, Apr-15-04 10:12

How did you figure out your goal weight?

I was just wondering how everyone determined their goal weights. If I went by the BMI, and my doctor, my goal weight should be 160. However, when I was a hardcore competitive swimmer, I weighed 179 to 182 and felt great. I also have the bone structure of an ox(Never broke a bone which is good because I am the world's biggest clutz ;) ). So I split the difference and made it 170. How did everyone else figure it out? Has your goal weight changed?

Rocky_Cdn Thu, Apr-15-04 10:37

I did every BMI calculator I could find, including the ones that had personal preferences. The top weight for my height was usually about 128 so I added 7 lbs to that. I'm in my 40's, and I keep reading that it's important for peri-menopausal women to have a bit of body fat. Plus I remember (way back when!) being comfortable even at 160, so I know I'll feel good at 135.

I still may adjust it when I get close, but I think it's reasonable.

Great question!

teresamay Thu, Apr-15-04 11:02

I always felt my very best at about 150 pounds - that is a good weight for me - not too skinny, not fat - just right. I have 130 as my goal weight, but 150 is perfectly fine as well.

SarahBinLA Thu, Apr-15-04 11:30

I went with the weight that I felt I looked and felt best at. Even I make it to 180, I still be happy. Just seeing myself well below 200 will make me cry with joy!

UpTheHill Thu, Apr-15-04 11:57

I used info on this site:

http://www.nutribase.com/fwchartf.shtml

After looking at all of the possibilities, I set my goal at 22% body fat and then back calculated my goal based on my lean mass. Lean mass is calculated using my 7 day average body fat and weight from my Tanita scale. (BTW - I am 5'9" if you want to see where my goal weight lies on the other tables.)

Lynda

CindyG Thu, Apr-15-04 14:03

I'm gonna wait until after I get under 200 and have my body fat tested. Once I have a good idea of my lean muscle mass, I'll figure out a goal weight. I want to have a healty amount of bodyfat on me for a change. It's set at 150 now, cause last time I weighed that I looked pretty darn good :)

charleez Thu, Apr-15-04 14:17

I really didn't go for anything too complicated as BMI though I would gather that I'd probably still arrive at the same weight. Basically I went by a weight where I looked and felt my best that I could remember. Going below that would be too skinny but I could afford to go to 135.

Maybe I should look up BMI and try it for weight but I don't want to be disappointed!!!

Charlie Girl

lizwhip Thu, Apr-15-04 15:43

I used an internet BMI calculation for the most I could weigh and still fall into the "healthy weight" zone for my height. Once I get to that number I will see what I think.

Liz

Rosie Real Thu, Apr-15-04 15:53

I don't really have an exact number, i'm not that hung up on it. I have a pair of pants that I loved when I weighed 157, and as soon as I fit into those the same way, I'm done.
I also don't want to be skinny, I like curves, and plan on avoiding dieting them away! :)

orchidday Thu, Apr-15-04 16:00

I looked at Cindy Crawford's weight and added 40 lbs. hehe.

I remember feeling fabulous at 180 about 10 years ago but not really slender per say. According to the BMI charts with my heighth 5'9" and age 47 this should be about right but I will figure out the details when I get there! I know that day will come!!

Orchid

Marie H Thu, Apr-15-04 17:33

Bastically, I SWAG'ed it. I was down to just under 130 once, and know I looked really good, but I'm not sure how realistic it is to think I might get down to that again. 150 is probably still a bit overweight. I'll re-evaluate as I get closer (like, a year or more from now) -- basically, my real goal isn't a number, but feeling good and, yes, looking good too.

fridayeyes Thu, Apr-15-04 18:35

I calculated my desired bodyfat percentage (which is different from BMI) beased on my starting amount of lean mass. As I gain muscle, I periodically recalculate. I've often said that doing it this way is the easiest 'diet' in the world; you just keep moving your goal weight UP.

Cheers,

Friday

DerBlumers Fri, Apr-16-04 01:22

I don't remember exactly what I did......isn't that awful? :D

What I do remember is that I figured it out based on weight, age, BMI, metabolism.......came up with a figure......then subtracted ten more pounds. I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have subtracted the extra.....but it doesn't seem to make any difference now, because I'm such a turtle anyway. ANYTHING would be an accomplishment in this stage of my WOE.

;)

crysania Fri, Apr-16-04 04:45

I calculated mine for the body fat % I wanted like fridayeyes did
I probably should even take it up a few lbs more but i guess its silly I want to break 200 lol...

ValerieL Fri, Apr-16-04 07:06

I've been overweight all my life, but in my first year of college I lost 80 lbs and went from 215 to 135. That was a nice weight for me, I felt normal.

It didn't last, obviously, but that's my goal now, to get to that "normal" weight again.

But, I'll re-evaluate that as I start to get closer, if I feel fine and happy at 150, or whatever other number, I'll stay there.

I'm not married to my goal at this point, it's just impossible to tell what I'll look like when I get there.

Valerie