Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Migraines...has anyone noticed a difference since being on Atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173224)

Janie3k Tue, Mar-16-04 23:48

Migraines...has anyone noticed a difference since being on Atkins

Hello Everyone....

I was just wondering if anyone has notice a difference in the frequency and strength of their migraines...since being on this WOE...

I have had them for years and they were coming atleast once every 10 days....but since I have been on Atkins I have only had a few...and the ones that I have had were nothing compared to the ones from before...

I had a slight one tonight and went on the treadmill and it helped to reduce it...I am not sure if this diet has something to do with it....but it looks that way..

Anyone else seen any changes....

corona806 Wed, Mar-17-04 00:22

I never had a problem with migrains but I did have problems with my stomach.I had to take tums every night.Since I've been on atkins I don't have to take them anymore.

twinky Wed, Mar-17-04 00:38

most migraines are caused by an allergic reaction or from stress
must of been something you were eating or your stress has been relieved

Luanna_nz Wed, Mar-17-04 03:10

I have had migraines from the age of 10years and as I got older I would get them about 4-5 a week and be in bed for hours, they would make me sick
:Puke: couldn't do anything.... yet after while LCing I only get about 1 a month or maybe 1 every 3 months and they don't lay me out like they did... can still carry on with life! it's wonderful:hyper:

Demi Wed, Mar-17-04 04:19

Prior to low carbing, I was also a migraine sufferer. Now, I very rarely get one :)

teresamay Wed, Mar-17-04 05:46

This has helped me sooo much! My migraines are not nearly as bad as before - and i attribute it entirely to my way of eating, there is no "junk" in my diet, and I honestly beleive the sugar and processed food before was triggering them.

eightc Wed, Mar-17-04 06:23

Hi, I used to get migraines all the time. Even went for a MRI to rule out tumors, etc.. Was told that they were stress triggered.
Well, since lc have only had ONE. It was after exercising more than usual without any extra snacks before or after. By the time I got food into me, I couldnt see. About 5 minutes after starting to eat, I suddenly felt much better and the lights/prisms just went away.
All this time could it have been low blood sugar symptoms instead from eating high carb crap and then crashing???
I dont know which, but I am sure glad they are not a part of my regular life anymore. Love this WOL :)

BlitzedAng Wed, Mar-17-04 06:55

Janie, I suffeered from migrains every month at TOM.. It would last about 3 days. Since begining this WOL I have not had 1. It baffles my doctor that I didn't want a perscription anymore. TOM use to be a time of crying,hiding, vomiting etc.. Thank God for this woe.

JL53563 Wed, Mar-17-04 06:58

I have a good friend who use to get them pretty regularly. Since going low carb, she says they are much less frequent and not nearly as bad as before.

toning_up Wed, Mar-17-04 07:25

Caffine, chocolate and oranges are notorious migrane triggers. None of those should be in our diets if we are doing Atkins correctly. So I agree, it could very well be a substance you were eating that trigegred your migranes and now you've omitted it from your diet.

szar Wed, Mar-17-04 07:38

Howdy,

I have absolutely noticed a difference. I used to get migraines (clusters) very frequently that would last for a long time. Now, not only do I get very few migraines, but when I do they do not last nearly as long. One of the very best unexpected benefits of this WOL. :)

Mark

Paris Wed, Mar-17-04 07:41

I just mentioned this to my DH who is a migraine sufferer... he is prone to SAD as well, which seem to affect the frequency, and it's been a horrid winter. However, he has not even had some much as a headache since he's been low-carbing.

Just another ailment that LC helps! :D

angieK Wed, Mar-17-04 08:50

I too don't get them as often and they usually can be chased away with a couple of asprins now.
angie

Janie3k Wed, Mar-17-04 09:18

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone,

Thanks for commenting...it is funny how many people suffer froms migraines yet...it is unspoken...it is great to know that everyone is noticing a decrease in the frequency and especially the strength...as SZAR said...it is definately an unexpected BENEFIT of this WOL..

Take care and have a great day!!

Nancy LC Wed, Mar-17-04 09:27

Migraines run in my family unfortunately, but just in us females. FYI: Migraines are not just bad headaches, they've quite different from a normal bad bad headache and can include temporary blind spots, nausea and vomiting, numbness in the extremeties. Mine came with all the above and I suffered greatly in my 20's from them. I remember it started when I was in the 6th grade. They seem to be hormonally triggered for me, with stress sometimes triggering them. Fortunately they've gotten far more infrequent and far less disabling as I've gotten older.

So I can't say as the diet has helped me. My sister has had a few since she's been on Atkins when she was under particularly bad stress, I'll ask her if they're better.

BTW: Recent brain scans revealed that migraines do damage the brain a bit. I saw something on CNN a few months ago and thought to myself "Phew! Glad I'm not getting those any more". So if you get them a lot you might want to explore ways to prevent them with your doctor. I think they found anti-epilepsy seizure drugs helped people not get migraines.