Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   South Beach Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Canned Veggies? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186164)

PUNKY.. Sat, May-22-04 13:42

Canned Veggies?

I was looking at canned veggies and noticed carbs, are these ok to eat? Also are pickles ok?

Elsah Sat, May-22-04 13:58

Fresh or frozen veggies would be better choices if you have that option. Pickles can be okay just read labels and make sure they aren't full of sugars.

Jenn

kyrie Sat, May-22-04 17:37

Most veggies have carbs, fresh frozen or canned. That's where you're supposed to be getting your carbs, so sure, they're fine.

Of course, canned veggies aren't as good for you as fresh, but they may be more convenient, or cheaper, or whatever. The only canned veggies I get, though, are green beans and tomatoes. The rest are beans or corn, which have too many carbs.

bevbme Sat, May-22-04 17:43

"Veggie "is a pretty broad spectrum word. Are you talking about a can of green beans or corn which is natures perfect starch?

There is a list of foods suitable for Phase I of South Beach in the South Beach forum or you can try Atkins.com for a list of induction foods.
Also Fitday.com lets you see the nutritional breakdown on all the foods you choose to help you make good decisions.

Pick up a copy of South Beach and read it as well as a copy of Atkins which explains why you are limiting starches as well as sugars.

PUNKY.. Sun, May-23-04 00:54

Thanks for the responses. Yes the "VEGGIE" that I was refering to was Canned Green Beans. :)

nikkil Mon, May-24-04 03:48

I buy Green Giant green beans by the case! Canned and frozen veggies have been proven to be better for you than fresh because they usually retain their nutrients better (because they've been processed right after picking vs. travelling by truck and then sitting in the market, for example). I rinse my canned green beans, tho, because of the sodium content in canned veggies. They're great for when you're in a hurry or just too lazy/hungry to cook from raw.

A_Team_Gal Mon, May-24-04 11:45

Pickles are okay on a limited basis as long as they are not the sweet variety.

maggieb Mon, May-24-04 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkil
I buy Green Giant green beans by the case! Canned and frozen veggies have been proven to be better for you than fresh because they usually retain their nutrients better (because they've been processed right after picking vs. travelling by truck and then sitting in the market, for example). I rinse my canned green beans, tho, because of the sodium content in canned veggies. They're great for when you're in a hurry or just too lazy/hungry to cook from raw.

Hi there, I agree with you that canned or frozen veggies are great if you are in a hurry or just don't have any fresh in the house or it is mid winter and the fresh cost is sky high BUT I can't agree that they are better for you....you use the word processed IMHO anything that is processed is not as good as fresh..of course it does depend how you prepare your fresh veggies...properly cleaned and eaten raw is best or just nicely steamed.

GrlyGrl Mon, May-24-04 15:05

Canned veggies are better than no veggies!

I also have become inappropriately :p enamored of canned green beans! I buy the Del Monte "Fresh Cut" green beans in the handy, dandy pull-top 8 oz can! They make a great "no cook, no can opener" snack. I limit myself to 1 can per day because of added salt and wanting to get in some variety.

Good substitute for french fries as a side dish! (but no ketchup of course -- blech)

Hydrophili Mon, May-24-04 18:00

I buy canned vegetables for when I'm in a hurry but they do sell the NO SALT ADDED for a select canned vegetables (I've found peas, green beans, and corn). GET THOSE! They're still good tasting.

Elsah Mon, May-24-04 18:20

The only canned veggies I buy are tomatoes (no salt added) and artichoke hearts. If I can't buy fresh I always go for the frozen. They tend to have no preservatives and taste more like fresh veggies would.

meowmisu Tue, May-25-04 05:57

i thought peas were a no-no during phase one- i think a lot of producers add sugar to their canned stuff- everything in a can tastes way sweeter than normal. I grew up never eating canned or frozen and when i first tasted canned, i must have been about 20- and i noticed a huge difference in sweetness and salt. Frozen i think would be a better choice if you cant do fresh.

PUNKY.. Tue, May-25-04 07:01

I think my biggest issue with fresh is storage and cooking. I guess I will probably use alot of frozen.

nikkil Wed, May-26-04 20:18

When I said that canned was better for you I meant purely from a nutrition-retention point of view because veggies lose vitamins the longer the time between the 'vine' and the table. BUT, they also probably lose some vits in the water they're canned in, plus the sodium (which I did mention).

I grew up on canned peas, corn and green beans and don't remember ever having them fresh when I was growing up (except corn on the cob). I couldn't believe how much better veggies taste fresh! Frozen is a better alternative, IMO, than canned if you can't have fresh when it comes to taste (altho I really don't like the texture of frozen green beans or broccoli).

I always think to myself that whatever I choose to eat in a pinch, as long as it's LC, is better than going off plan because of hunger/craving/laziness/lack of time.

Nicole

Talli Thu, May-27-04 02:21

I buy lots of green veggies in cans. Asparagus, greens, green beans, peas. I also buy frozen but they can get costly when trying to feed not only yourself but a family of 6.