Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb War Zone (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Vegans snap up diet supplements as health concerns grow (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=485971)

Demi Thu, Jul-11-24 08:46

Vegans snap up diet supplements as health concerns grow

Quote:
Vegans snap up diet supplements as health concerns grow

Customers ‘more aware’ that lifestyle can cause problems, says retailer, amid warnings that plant-based diets can cause deficiencies

Vegans are racing to buy diet supplements amid growing concerns that the lifestyle can cause health problems, a senior retailer has said.

Alex Gourley, the chairman of Holland & Barrett, said people on vegan diets were starting to be “much more aware of the supplements” they needed to take when only eating plant-based food.

Mr Gourley said customers were still coming in to buy vegan products, with Holland & Barrett having last year launched a new range of food with over 70 plant-based items, including cheese and chocolate alternatives.

However, he said: “These people are much more aware of the other things you have to do to have a more holistic view of your intake of food.”

Mr Gourley said this did not mean that his staff were giving medical advice on what people should be taking, but would make suggestions if customers wanted to know how they could improve their health.

He said: “We’re not there to do anything other than answer questions and give the right advice to people who are interested in understanding what more they could be doing if they want to take better care of themselves.”

It comes after a leading academic earlier this year warned that some plant-based diets risked causing nutritional deficiencies including anaemia, especially in the young and elderly.

Alice Stanton of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland said that previous studies had underestimated how much easier it was for people to take in proteins and micronutrients from meat than plant-based food.

Researchers suggested that unprocessed red meat delivers most of the vitamin B12 intake in human diets.

Ms Stanton said: “There are a number of very influential groups that have published reports which indicate animal-source foods and particularly red meat cause human health problems, heart attacks, strokes and cancers.”

She said they have “had a huge influence on policymakers on heading towards an almost completely plant-based diet”.

Researchers have separately cautioned that the nutritional values for plant-based alternatives vary drastically depending on the product.

A study, published in the journal Nutrition Reviews, found that some plant-based cheeses had twice the saturated fat of normal cheese.

Holland & Barrett said it has been boosted by higher demand for vitamins and supplements over the past year. Sales were up 11pc in 2023, although its losses before tax widened to hit £65.3m from £59.6m after it invested more cash into refreshing stores and improving its website.

Part of the sales uptick was driven by a rise in people wanting to take better care of their health after the pandemic, Mr Gourley said.

He said: “We’re seeing a huge increase in the interest of physical movers of all ages, and these are people who are not just interested in upping their protein if they’re going to the gym, but in their joints, bones and muscles.

“They want to protect their ability to keep on doing physical activity, whether it be sports or walking or running. That was happening before the pandemic but it has really accelerated since then.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...-concerns-grow/

Calianna Thu, Jul-11-24 09:29

Quote:
Alice Stanton of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland said that previous studies had underestimated how much easier it was for people to take in proteins and micronutrients from meat than plant-based food.

Researchers suggested that unprocessed red meat delivers most of the vitamin B12 intake in human diets.

Ms Stanton said: “There are a number of very influential groups that have published reports which indicate animal-source foods and particularly red meat cause human health problems, heart attacks, strokes and cancers.

She said they have “had a huge influence on policymakers on heading towards an almost completely plant-based diet”.

Researchers have separately cautioned that the nutritional values for plant-based alternatives vary drastically depending on the product.

A study, published in the journal Nutrition Reviews, found that some plant-based cheeses had twice the saturated fat of normal cheese.

Oh how twisted the "healthy" diet has become!

They completely dismiss the food that naturally has the bio-available protein and vitamins (such as B12) you need (as well as heme iron - they didn't even get into that in this article) simply because of the fat/sat fat/cholesterol content, so they turn to man-made products (UPFs) that don't have anywhere near the nutrient values in order to avoid those dastardly saturated fats... and those UPFs turn out to have even higher sat fat content than the real food that people have been eating for thousands of years ever had to begin with!

WereBear Fri, Jul-12-24 04:30

Ancel Keys might wind up killing more people than all the 20th century dictators combined.

Veganism is an utterly unnatural diet, which they enforce with death threats. I always think that's a sign of a terrible plan, from the get-go.

Ms Arielle Fri, Jul-12-24 12:16

Lol, vegan IS ultra processed foods!!
🤣🤣

So easy to just cook a 🥩 steak. And nuke a frozen vegg. Put on the butter and salt.

Why does eating get so complicated!! 😂

Calianna Fri, Jul-12-24 15:07

If vegans ate vegan foods in their minimally processed state, or processed them further at home, then they would not be eating ultra processed food.

For instance dried beans soaked and then cooked all day - not ultra processed. Even if they then want to mash those beans add in some dried herbs and salt, then form them into patties, still not ultra processed food. A vegan can nuke frozen veggies and it's still vegan - and still not truly ultra processed.

Depends on what criteria you use - some of the standards by which ultraprocessed foods are defined say that the food being processed in a factory and packaged in plastic with a label makes it ultraprocessed - which means a bag of frozen veggies would be deemed guilty. But so would any other veggies that are washed to remove dirt, then factory packed in a plastic bag with a label on it. By those standards fresh spinach leaves that have been washed in a spinach packing factory and then put in a plastic bag with a label on it would be considered ultra processed, even though nothing at all has been done to alter the spinach leaves.

It's mostly when they try to create vegan duplicates of non-vegan foods that what we generally recognize as ultra processing comes into play:

For instance, here's the list of ingredients on a vegan cheese substitute (first one that showed up on google):

Quote:
filtered water, coconut oil, food starch-modified (tapioca & potato), potato starch salt (sea salt), dextrose, calcium phosphate, lentil protein, glucono delta lactone, cheddar flavor (vegan sources), black salt (salt, herbs), olive extract, paprika extract & beta carotene (color), vitamin b12.

Several ultra processed ingredients combined to make one extremely ultra processed food.

WereBear Sat, Jul-13-24 02:52

Oh, that cheddar flavor from vegan sources. (Chemist kiss!)

Another way I know DH and I are on the right track is how UPF4 stuff continues to get less and less appealing. Even mentally. When I see snack cakes in the store now I don't have rose-tinted glasses about those "good times."

DH will say, "I loved XX when I was a kid," and I pointed out that back when, it was closer to real cake than it is now: wheat, sugar, and industrial ingredients.

Some of us were modeled that cake and such was never supposed to be every day, but here we are.

That was always a point of contention with me: the fact that what vegans claim as "most perfect" diet... needs at least B-12 supplementation. Only the one that makes everything else possible... but suuuuuuuuuure it's the best way to eat.

It's not that vegans don't supplement, or eat nonprocessed... there were famous vegan chefs who had thriving food blogs. Until the doctor explained they would die if they didn't eat animal products, they had serious anemia, and the supplements aren't working.

So when they went public with it -- and there were many over a five year span, as I remember -- they would get death threats and the site would go dark.

So nothing has changed with the Impossible Burgers and all that. Except they are constantly on a search for something that will quiet their raging hunger. The Youtube channel Vegan Deterioration, from an ex-vegan, is still my single best resource in this strangely influential small group.

And just recently, I heard a person which high academic credentials in the care of cancer patients refer to carbs as "essential." Which they aren't. Scientifically speaking. I checked!

Calianna Sat, Jul-13-24 07:34

I just don't know how they can look at that and think it's actual food.

There's barely anything in it that could be considered food, just the coconut oil and the salt.

Everything else that even sounds like it might be edible was derived or extracted from something else and modified.

That list is simple compared to the list of ingredients used in making fake meats though.

I think one of the most disturbing things about this is that if eating animal foods is so inhumane, the human race would have died out before it ever got started. Without the B12 provided by animal foods, humans would never have even lived long enough to reproduce, let alone raise offspring who lived long enough to continue the line of humanity to more than 8 billion people.

And yet they seem to think vegan is somehow a more "natural" and healthier way to eat.

WereBear Sat, Jul-13-24 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
And yet they seem to think vegan is somehow a more "natural" and healthier way to eat.

They have convinced themselves, for a variety of reasons. Because they believed lies, they now have invested in a whole belief system.

But it must be constantly tested against reality. We don't know anywhere near everything.