Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Lean Cuisine...anyone seen these???? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=176035)

Fridaylove Wed, Mar-31-04 10:18

Lean Cuisine...anyone seen these????

I just got an e-mail about Lean Cuisine, LowCarb meals, each being between 9-23net carbs per serving.
I checked out the site to see the deal, they didn't have the ingrediants listed on the net, but I don't think I will be buying these.
It seems like just another gimmick or some company jumping on the band wagon...and then people are going to think...these are good for me and get derailed...blah blah...
I am going to stick with keepin' it simple!!!

BLBM Wed, Mar-31-04 10:24

Yeah I bet they are still packed with white flour and thats where all the carbs come from. Just a gimmick

Dewi Wed, Mar-31-04 10:50

I have the grilled garlic herb chicken with veggies on hand for just in case late at night at work. It says 9 carbs on the label but they dont deduct the fiber so its really 7. I only eat them in a worse case scenario but would not live on them.

Justjen72 Wed, Mar-31-04 10:54

I have also noticed that they are very small in portion size.

armywife3 Wed, Mar-31-04 11:00

9-23 NET carbs..sounds pretty evil to me. Just imagine if it is 23 NET it must be like 50 total. Forget it. Make your own food and don't rely on those people who know ZERO about low carbing to do it right. Think about it. They are only in it for the business. Lean Cuisine doesn't believe in low carbing they believe in making money and they see a market. But they don't know true low carbing. Obviously.....23 net carbs...yeah right

shipto Wed, Mar-31-04 11:34

you also have to watch for the trans fats

bcbeauty Wed, Mar-31-04 11:40

I was going to say the same as armywife... 9-23 net carbs is huge in my eyes.

Elsah Wed, Mar-31-04 11:45

9 to 23 carbs is perfecty normal amounts at maint. level though. So I guess although not ideal for someone just starting out it would work for us that are just working to maintain. Can't say that I am a fan of frozen dinners though. YUCK. I like real food! :)

Jenn

triplemom Wed, Mar-31-04 11:46

I looked at them at the grocery store. The portion sizes look miniscule for that many carbs, so I won't be buying them!

myagenda Wed, Mar-31-04 12:55

I saw them but since I only lose weight at 25 carbs or lower I won't be getting them. Too many carbs for the little amount of food you get. I am going to stick to my salads and meat. A nice salad will fill me up more than a frozen dinner.

CarynLucy Wed, Mar-31-04 13:13

Such a scam..........

I just have to put my two-cents in...............

With this country gaining in epidemic proportions, our children with diabetes by age 5, entire grocery stores filled with life-killing junk food, schools filled with crap for breakfast & lunch. So along comes low-carb, a lifesaver in every sense of the word, but I see the same thing happening with low-carb. Low-carb products were supposed to be a supplement to eating a lot of protien and to give variety, but what you're seeing is HUGE amounts of low-carb products, all in the same junk-food versions that we've tried so hard to get AWAY from. Low-carb chips, cookies, bread, pasta. All the stuff that gave kids & adults diabetes & other diseases are now disguised as low-carb. We're getting away from the point of eating less carbs, more protien and instead just replacing the carbs with low-carb versions. This would work if done in moderation, but you know our society as a whole, it's just more more more.

The whole idea is to eat right, in moderation, with activity replacing mindless hours spent in front of the tv and doing little else.

I think whatever fast food place is getting rid of super-size meals is a great start though, but we need to put salad bars in schools, get rid of the soda machines and just have bottled water.

Ok, I'm done rambling..............thanks for letting me vent :)

C :rolleyes:

JaydensMom Wed, Mar-31-04 13:21

Couldn't have said it better myself CarynLucy!!! I totally agree! :wiggle:

sharann Wed, Mar-31-04 14:40

If I want convinience of a frozen meal I buy a brand called (Ithink) Mike's Low Carb Gormet LC Meals. Excellent quality and quantitiy of food. REAL VEGETABLES and REAL prorien included. Salmon,Chicken etc... The Lean Cuisine ones are garbage and not worth their carbs. Why add carbs to a chicken cheese sauce!!!!
The Mikes brand costs more but is worth the money and tastes like a restaurant meal(hence the 7 bucks)

DianaO Wed, Mar-31-04 14:43

I'd becareful of those! Once in awhile is ok..