Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   On induction and feeling weak during exercise (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130971)

julesmck Sat, Aug-16-03 16:06

On induction and feeling weak during exercise

Hi, I restarted Atkins Induction last week. Since then I've noticed a marked decrease in energy levels during cardio and weight sessions at the gym. I feel so weak it's not funny. The last few times I tried Atkins this has happened, even months into it so it isn't just that my body isn't used to this WOE and will eventually adjust. When I'm eating carbs I can exercise without a problem (and even enjoy it a little) but on Induction (and even the Ongoing Weight Loss phase) I feel like my legs can barely support me while standing on the elliptical machine, let alone operate it. I know some people have suggested eating a couple of Smarties before exercising but frankly there is no way I could stop at just a couple! Any other suggestions? Unfortunately I am someone who cannot stop at just a little sugar. What is it they say in Overeaters Anonymous - one cookie is too many and a thousand is never enough?

Thanks!

CUE-BALD-1 Sun, Aug-17-03 09:25

Many of us had to bite the bullet and cut back significantly on exercise during induction. Then, as the body is trained to tap from fat stores you might need to add a bit more carbs then the typical 5/week as outlined in OWL. I went straight from 20 to 40 and felt a significant improvement almost over night. I cycle about 300 km a week and average about 55-65 carb grams a day now.

Hope that helps.

tofi Sun, Aug-17-03 09:37

It does say in my editions of DANDR that a person SHOULD NOT EXERCISE during the first week (and possibly both weeks) of Induction. And for the very things that you are experiencing.

Go over to the Exercise forum and see how people there manage it. You might especially read Natrushka's Journal & Gym Log as she worked on how and WHICH carbs to add during Ongoing WL so that exercise is more possible.

DarkLotus Sun, Aug-17-03 09:47

I exercised during induction, but I have always eaten more veggies than induction says to. Stayed at 20 carbs but ate more veggies. Perhaps think about it give it a try.

Frederick Sun, Aug-17-03 15:57

Hi Julesmck,

Maintaining your excercise routine during Induction is exasparatingly difficult, to put it mildly. As another mentioned, you can opt to "bite the bullet," which is possible. I did that, but it was quite a struggle. Or, you can opt to take a couple of weeks off until after Induction is over with. Of the two, the latter would be the far more expedient course.

However, if you're like me, I felt that others can't keep up their physical routine during Induction, but I can! LOL...well, sure, you can, but, as I've said, be prepared to grit your teeth and fight through the pain, fatigue, and exhaustion.

The good news is that after some time, your body will finally acclimate to burning fat as it's main source of fuel. I remember back then reading this and just rolling my eyes thinking, "yeah, whatever, I'll believe it when it happens." Well, after 3 or 4 months, it did happen; and, now, I can run faster than I ever could before low carbing (when I say low carbing, I'm taking in about 100 - 120 carbs/day now).

My advice, don't fret over the seemingly lack of energy, but focus on the few months down the road when your energy will return as your body adjusts to burning fat as fuel. It might seem so far away, especially in light of the struggle which awaits you during tomorrow's excercise, but it will improve, and so will your performance--if your experience will be anything like mine.

In my view, just fight through it, and all will be well.

Best of luck,

Frederick