Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Bread substitute in Hamburgers.... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=112525)

Eushman Mon, Jun-09-03 11:50

Bread substitute in Hamburgers....

I'm on day 3 of induction, and I wanted to put together some ground beef and turkey that I bought into patties and meatballs, but what am I supposed to use instead of bread crumbs....I know some people recommend pork rinds, but my local store didn't have them....is there anything else, or do I need a substitute at all...?

Jac74 Mon, Jun-09-03 11:57

How about you try 1T soy flour, or maybe parmesan cheese?

HeidiN Mon, Jun-09-03 11:58

not really a help, but I will say pork rinds used instead of bread crumbs is even better than using bread crumbs :yum:

DWRolfe Mon, Jun-09-03 12:00

I use pork rinds, but parmesean cheese works well too...

...that is assuming you really need to add anything at all...

Donald :wave:

vbrowne Mon, Jun-09-03 12:00

You could buy LC bread and make bread crumbs yourself.

Vikki

lbiessen Mon, Jun-09-03 12:02

I don't ever put any bread crumbs in my ground meat. Just season it and make in to patties or meatballs.

Eushman Mon, Jun-09-03 12:14

thanks

thanks for all the great ideas.......I want to avoid low-carb substitutes like flour and bread, so I think I'll try it with Parmesan, and keep looking for the pork rinds........Like I said, I just started, and although I love all the choices, one of my favourites is cheeseburgers, and fried meatballs....Greek style.....!!!!! MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm

Thanks Again!!!!

Tracy916 Mon, Jun-09-03 13:10

I never use any bread or other fillers either. But that may be a good into to pork rinds for me. I bet they do add some flavor.

Birddog Mon, Jun-09-03 14:04

I don't use any bread in my meatballs. But I would say pork rinds are your best bet if you feel a need.

Karla Mon, Jun-09-03 14:28

To one pound of ground beef I add 1 Tablespoon of heavy cream and 1 T of soy sauce; the burgers don't fall apart, plus they are very juicy. The cream part of the idea came from James Beard; the soy sauce was my addition.

Karla

tlawson Mon, Jun-09-03 14:44

I usually use ground up pork rinds. In Toronto you should be able to find pork rinds (at Loblaws (Superstore) they carry Pork Puffs - no name brand, and Safeway, 7-11, etc. usually carries Old Dutch Bacon Puffs, which are the same thing).

I just made up a big batch of meatballs and froze a bunch of them. My family loves Swedish meatballs!!!

oOoLunaoOo Mon, Jun-09-03 15:07

[color= crimson]On Induction you are supposed to be strict on yourself so I think pork rinds or parmesan are the best bet there. No low carb bread yet :thdown: [/color]

wils Mon, Jun-09-03 17:54

Eushman- try Zellers, Zehrs, IGA, Valu Mart- all have them in my area. A lot of stores now have a display at random places in the store, Zellers has them in the snack food aisle. Not really very hard to find anymore. I used crushed pork rinds for chicken and it was great!

mammoth Mon, Jun-09-03 19:19

PORK RINDS flavored with spices in the meat.

You obviously have a computer...if you have a chargecard, you can order ALL the pork rinds you want off the internet...and have them delivered right to your door!

Happy Rinding!
Jake