Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   breaking veins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=75288)

freydis Fri, Dec-13-02 13:10

breaking veins

My mother had this problem all her life, so maybe it is hereditary.

Prior to LC, my veins would occasionally break/pop under stress, but it seems to be happening often now - more than once a day - and in unusual places as well as my hands (most common).

I've been on Atkins since mid-March (9 months) and have stayed at the Induction level the entire time. I get vitamins and vegies every day, plenty of water. Does anybody have any clue about why this is happening, or what might be causing it?

tofi Fri, Dec-13-02 13:32

You've been at Induction level for a very long time now. Maybe your body would like it if you added more carbs?

I know that if I don't get enough Vitamin C, I bruise easily. You may be taking some Vit. C already, but try for 1000 mg (= 1 gram) each day and see if that helps.

:wave:

freydis Fri, Dec-13-02 20:53

I take that much or more every day. I don't think it's C, though it might be due to some other lack. I appreciate your guess, though. That's all I'm doing at this point.

Daily, I take a lot of pills:

1000 mg C or more,
Mature Multi (no iron content),
600 mg Calcium or twice that, depending on my back,
200 I.U. vitamin E,
400 mcg chromium,
fish oil concentrate 180EPA/120DHA,
50 mg Co Q-10,
1200 mg garlic,

Norvasc,
an aspirin,
Lisinopril,
Metoprolol,
and Glucophage.

I can list the ingredients on the Multi if it would help. Oh, the Calcium is a multiple ingredient supplement, also.

penelope Fri, Dec-13-02 21:47

Hi freydis,

I have read years ago that vitamin K is needed for repairing thin blood vessels .

I think you find it in the white part of an orange :D or on the shelf in a Health food store .

Check it out .

:sunny: Pene

freydis Sat, Dec-14-02 08:28

Thank you! I'll try it!

liz175 Sat, Dec-14-02 10:31

Could it be the aspirin? Aspirin can cause internal bleeding and a lot of people can't tolerate it long-term. You might want to check with your doctor about it.

tofi Sat, Dec-14-02 16:53

If the aspirin is a full size 325 mg one, then that is contributing to the bruising. I would take another gram of Vitamin C and perhaps take the aspirin every 2nd day - if your doctor agrees.

If the aspirin is the "Children's size" of 80 mg, then the extra Vit. C ought to help quickly. Vitamin E and garlic are also blood thinners.

freydis Sun, Dec-15-02 13:34

Quote:
Originally posted by tofi
If the aspirin is a full size 325 mg one, then that is contributing to the bruising. I would take another gram of Vitamin C and perhaps take the aspirin every 2nd day - if your doctor agrees.

If the aspirin is the "Children's size" of 80 mg, then the extra Vit. C ought to help quickly. Vitamin E and garlic are also blood thinners.

My thanks to everyone who is helping me.

I have been taking full-size aspirin because it is easier to have on hand, but I will go to the smaller size and see if that helps. I've also recently moved from a much larger size of vitamin E to the 200 size - that may be a contributing factor that will take some time to overcome. In the meantime, I'll also check out vitamin K supplements and take another C tab. I really appreciate these ideas! I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Thank you!

AnnetteW Tue, Dec-17-02 07:11

I woke up a week ago with a buise/broken vein on my bicep. And just yesterday morning I had on also on my inner thigh, and it also appears to be right where a vein is.

I will try the vitamin C too, because this is kind of freaky. I don't usually even bruise much, and twice in one week after being on Atkins just over 3 weeks is too coincidental for me.

penelope Tue, Dec-17-02 09:14

Here is a little something on Vitamin K and bruising

I am sure you coudl do better than I in a search

Hope this help

Pene

Recommended daily allowance: 80 mcg (micrograms).

Symptoms of deficiency: Abnormal blood clotting and bruising.

Benefits: Helps the blood to clot. Promotes normal growth and development.

Good food sources: Cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, kale, green tea, cheddar and camembert cheese, Brussels sprouts.

Cautions: Consult your doctor if you have: liver disease, cystic fibrosis, intestinal problems, upcoming surgery.

Substance interactions: These medications decrease vitamin’s effect: antibiotics, cholestyramine, colestipol, coumarin, mineral oil, quinidine, salicylates, sucralfate, sulfa drugs. Decreases anti-coagulant effect. Vitamin K with primaquine increases potential for toxic side effects.

Signs of toxicity: Large doses may impair liver function. May cause brain damage in infants.

* Best absorbed if taken with a fatty food (salad dressing on spinach, for example). Most people have adequate amounts of vitamin K (the body can produce it) and do not have to supplement. The exception being those who have cystic fibrosis.

* Antibiotics may destroy the normal, beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract - the same bacteria which produces vitamin K. Anyone taking antibiotics may want to increase intake of leafy vegetables

freydis Tue, Dec-17-02 12:02

I just finished a series of antibiotics, too. And, I think I take a sulfa drug. So, I started munching on the whites of orange rinds this week and have had fewer problems since. Where I was breaking something 3 times a day, I'm down to one at most.

Josiemk Tue, Dec-17-02 15:55

I briuse real easily too

I also have problem w/ broken capillaries too. I started taking Horse Chestnut for my leg veins they were really hurting. They no longer hurt, I also noticed that I don't briuse as much as I use too. But I also eat lots of brocolli.

Josie