Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Massive head cold (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=446552)

joylorene Wed, Sep-19-12 10:08

Massive head cold

I'm sure nyquil is loaded with sugar and I need cough drops any suggestions on those or just take them and get over this and not sorry about it??

ojoj Wed, Sep-19-12 10:14

Do these so called remedies work anyway?? Do you really need to take them??

I hope it passes soon regardless

jo xxx

Nancy LC Wed, Sep-19-12 10:15

Get the gel-caps, they shouldn't have added sugar.

joylorene Wed, Sep-19-12 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Do these so called remedies work anyway?? Do you really need to take them??

I hope it passes soon regardless

jo xxx

Nyquil lets me sleep pretty much thru the night and I am able to breathe thru my nose for the most part. So that must have something in it - I just hate not being able to sleep - makes me crabby in the morning :D

Ann_LC Wed, Sep-19-12 10:51

Halls has a sugar free cough drop - just bought some the other day.

For head stuffiness (I get sinus issues all the time and need something some nights to sleep too) - try nasal sprays - afrin works great for me, but you cannot take it for more than 3 days running.

joylorene Wed, Sep-19-12 12:00

Thanks I'll give that a try

Nancy LC Wed, Sep-19-12 12:11

Antihistamines like Benadryl will make you sleepy, that's what they use in Nyquil and such.

lovemyvet Wed, Sep-19-12 13:00

the alcohol in nyquil is what makes me sleep.

Amanda1978 Thu, Sep-20-12 06:09

You can add lemon juice and sweetener of choice to a cup of hot water to get that NeoCitran comfort feel. I then take whatever meds I need for symptoms. (Tylenol, saline spray, antihistamine, etc.). I also alternate hot and cold packs on my face/head when I'm congested. It really helps relieve the pressure.

When I'm feeling absolutely horrible I don't worry about sugars in my meds and simply take what I need to rest and feel better. If I'm sick I don't eat much anyhow so I really don't think the bit of extra sugars are going to hurt.

A_New_Life Thu, Sep-20-12 06:51

Ive got the same thing right now...I dont care about the extra sugars and such when I feel poopy...can always get back totally on track when feeling better.

joylorene Thu, Sep-20-12 09:03

I know I just want to feel better - it's one of those head colds where your teeth actually hurt also - miserable

Cicero2.0 Thu, Sep-20-12 09:46

I hope you feel better soon. I feel your pain. I have awful allergies to the point that it feels like I have a perpetual terrible head cold. Try a neti-pot and some hot tea before bed. A neti pot will get all of the irritants out of your sinus cavities and the steam from the tea will soothe your throat and help your sinuses get things moving.

nocarbkat Sat, Sep-22-12 05:29

I second the neti-pot! It is scary to use at first (at least it was for me) but boy! does it clear the sinuses!

MAKE SURE YOU USE DISTILLED WATER!! I cannot stress that enough!

Works wonders!