Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   One Day Off? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=52583)

Rhollmer Wed, Jul-24-02 11:06

One Day Off?

I am in my third week of Atkins and I have lost between 12 and 14 pounds. But I am curious if it would be advisable to take one day off per week and just eat whatever I want.

I don't ever have problems with carb or sugar cravings, so getting right back on the next day would really be nothing for me. But the reason I am thinking of doing this is because I don't want to let my body get used to this LC WOL. I feel like I might need to shake it up a little to avoid a plateau.

What do y'all think?

-Rick

agonycat Wed, Jul-24-02 11:32

Personally?

I would cross that bridge *when* it happens. I have been on this WOL since April of last year, and I stalled for 8 months "tweaking" what didn't really need to be tweaked.

Ever hear the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? :)

fiona Wed, Jul-24-02 11:44

Your choice

Cheating : Before and After There are several threads in the Confessions section by people who have gone down that road. You might like to check them out before you actually do it.

You are doing so well - why risk spoiling it?

Take care,

Shark01 Wed, Jul-24-02 13:28

Since you are so close to your goal, I don't see a problem with it. We have a couple of guys here at work who have lost 50-75 lbs and for maintanence they LC during the week and do what they want on the weekend and have been very successful maintaining the loss :thup:

Marlaine Wed, Jul-24-02 15:45

Rick.....

I just happened to come across this today while doing some reading (yet again) in DANDR:

Quote:
When you do Atkins during the week and then cheat on the weekends, for several days after your binge, you are no longer burning fat. At most, you could be in the fat-burning state for only three days each week. In addition, you may have overstimulated your insulin response, increasing the metabolic risk factors underlying your weight problem. Remember that when you burn fat, dietary fat is also being burned. However, if you combine high carbs with high fat--the typical American diet--you can be increasing your cardiovascular risk.

My thoughts? I wouldn't do it.

Marlaine

DarkLotus Wed, Jul-24-02 15:51

If you upped and/or varied your carbs once in a while and varied your menus enough, according to what I have read, your body wouldn't get used to it like you think. I remember some posts here about it, I think razzle wrote about it if I remember right...was a few weeks ago.

fth_msktr Wed, Jul-24-02 20:32

Personally I can't do a planned cheat day, I've tried it more than once, in several different ways (at least thats what I told myself)
but the result was always the same, 2-3 day binge, headaches, nausea, trouble sleeping, heartburn. If your doing good keep going. :thup:

glenzilly Wed, Jul-24-02 22:14

This sounds alot like the CKD. You might want to check it out at the CKD forum. I believe this diet requires weight training to be effective however.

Glen

Rkhinman Thu, Jul-25-02 08:37

I cheated for one day...JUST one day

now its been 350 days later with 65 extra pounds.

Im back on the LC WOL now but I would stay wayyyyyyy
clear from one dayers to kick stalls.

You may regret it

Rhollmer Thu, Jul-25-02 09:43

Thanks for all the great responses.

I have decided to put my carb binge day on hold for a few more weeks or months... :roll:

-Rick