Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Question about caffine in Excedrine (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=40078)

fuze Wed, Apr-10-02 01:23

Question about caffine in Excedrine

This is the end of my second day and so far I'm doing pretty good. The only problem I've encountered so far is this: I sometimes get bad headaches and nothing in the world seems to help except for Excedrine which has caffine. So you see my dilema. I tried Tylonol first thing in the morning (1500 mgs) and it didn't help my headache. So I figured that I'd rather be pain-free than caffine-free and I took the Excedrine and the headache disappeared. I wonder if I could be addicted to the stuff? I do not drink alot of soda or coffee so I doubt it.

What do you think?

fuze

DWRolfe Wed, Apr-10-02 08:13

I hear ya!

I have the same reaction to Tylenol and Excedrin...

...while Tylenol workes OK for muscular aches and pains, it just does nothing for my headaches (btw, your headaches related to just starting this program will subside...give it a week or two) but Excedrin kicks a headache out of me super-fast.

Thing is, because I have been caffein-free for several years now, the Excedirn makes me jumpy as heck--a feeling I do not like.

I wouldn't worry that you're addicted to the caffein in Excedrin unless you're taking more than the directions suggest or if you're taking them whether you have a headache or not. And if taking it gets you through the headachey period that all of us expereinced when starting, take it. If it really worries you, you might try taking one instead of two.

Good luck on your Lcarb journey!

Donald :wave:

razzle Wed, Apr-10-02 09:27

caffeine is amazingly useful for headaches. I take prescription migraine drugs that also have caffeine in them, it's such a useful additive!

Especially now, at the beginning of LCing, when the headaches are the worst, I say, take the darned stuff if it makes you feel better. :)

from "How things Work"

"To a nerve cell, caffeine looks like adenosine. Caffeine therefore binds to the adenosine receptor. However, it doesn't slow down the cell's activity like adenosine would. So the cell cannot "see" adenosine anymore because caffeine is taking up all the receptors adenosine binds to. So instead of slowing down because of the adenosine level, the cells speed up. You can see that caffeine also causes the brain's blood vessels to constrict, because it blocks adenosine's ability to open them up. This effect is why some headache medicines like Anacin contain caffeine - if you have a vascular headache, the caffeine will close down the blood vessels and relieve it."

Natrushka Wed, Apr-10-02 09:58

Re: Question about caffine in Excedrine

Quote:
Originally posted by fuze
This is the end of my second day and so far I'm doing pretty good. The only problem I've encountered so far is this: I sometimes get bad headaches and nothing in the world seems to help except for Excedrine which has caffine.

Fuze, sounds like detox to me. If you've attempted to quit caffien and carbs then it's going to be even worse. The good news is it only lasts a few days. One day very soon you're going to wake up without that headache :)

Nat

fuze Wed, Apr-10-02 12:14

Thanks so much for the responses. I am so paranoid about cheating you know? Well, just to clarify, I've had these headaches long before I started LCing.

Here it is the 3rd morning of my Induction and no headache. I feel great.

Thanks again and God bless Excedrine! LOL

fuze