Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How Often Do You Weigh Yourself? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=6528)

NewGuy30 Tue, Jun-12-01 13:12

How Often Do You Weigh Yourself?

Just curious how often you all weigh in to check results? I want to do it everyday, but am afraid of seeing no change. What is recommended and what do you all do?

tamarian Tue, Jun-12-01 13:32

I weight occasionally, no more than once a week max. I prefer to take measurements. As I weight lift, I gain muscle and lose fat, the scale maight show no progress, but the tape and clothes disagree :)

Wa'il

agonycat Tue, Jun-12-01 14:00

I weigh once every morning and chart it on an Excel spreadsheet and I made a graph chart on.

(I like to see the downward trend)

:D

ironlung Tue, Jun-12-01 14:10

I also weigh myself everyday, and also take two measurements from my body (the largest part of my stomach, and my chest) to see how much i have lost there.

As with newguy, i also chart my progress on an excel spreadsheet. If anyone reading has excel, learn how to use it. It's great designing a spreadsheet, putting your results in every day and watching the line chart decline :)

DebDaCajun Tue, Jun-12-01 15:47

I only weigh every time I go to the dr (which is relatively often) but I am getting ready to do the measurements with a tape measure. I don't plan to do it more than once a week though.

ironlung Wed, Jun-13-01 04:14

By the way, if anyone has Excel and doesn't know how to plot their progress, just send me a private message with what you need and i'll whip up a customised spreadsheet for you, complete with an automatically-updating chart :)

numberonewendy Wed, Jun-13-01 04:43

Cool Iron....sounds interesting. I have excel, but would have no clue how to do that. I only use excel for my business.

I weight everyonce in awhile. Sometimes a few days in a row, and sometimes I just leave it and do it weekly. Just depends on that day if I'm busy and not thinking of me, or have time and begin to think of me....LOL

fern2340 Wed, Jun-13-01 06:19

AHHH!!! If I weighed myself everyday, I would go insane! Once a week max is good enough for me! I fnd the tape measure to be a much better friend!!! :)

r.mines Wed, Jun-13-01 12:03

I weigh every day - I can't bear not to know - but I don't take the scale very seriously. If I see the same weight for 3-4 days in a row, I 'claim' it. If I bounce up a pound or two, I tell myself it's water weight and don't let it bother me. It's usually gone the next day.

I measure once a month or so, and try on my too-small clothes when I remember, every two weeks maybe.

This reminds me - they now fit! Gotta buy a too-small pair of jeans!

Rachel

ironlung Wed, Jun-13-01 16:31

1 Attachment(s)
I created an example spreadsheet for this board, it's attached to this message. Just unzip it and save it somewhere on your hard drive. Then open it and start editing!

You'll see <meas.1> and <meas.2> in two columns. Simple click on the text to edit it. I use those columns for daily measurements two for parts of my body. The one next to it is where you enter your weight. Now look down the bottom and you'll see two tabs - "progress" and "chart". Click on "chart" to move to the chart view, which shows all the data you entered visually. That's great for checking trends in your progress.

Just play around with it and see how you get on with it. If you're new to excel, don't worry. Just e-mail me and i'll either help you out or make you a customised sheet. :)

tamarian Wed, Jun-13-01 16:36

Well done!

With a bit of tweaking, you can tie the measurements with a little line chart for each measurements as well. This can be very handy!

Wa'il

Deirdre Wed, Jun-13-01 20:51

I weigh myself every morning but I don't obsess about it. I find it is good motivation for me. I used to measure once a week too but now it's more like once a month.