Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   new to atkins diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109615)

candigirl Fri, May-30-03 12:05

new to atkins diet

Im actually starting the atkins diet tomorrow (i want one more day of pleasures lol) but i was wondering if anyone had some words of encouragment or advice for how to make this work for me. Thanks in advance, i have 30 pounds to lose before august

slp2000 Fri, May-30-03 12:10

I wish I took my measurments before I started, this would have been helpful. Stay away from the Advantage bars. Good Luck!!

karen_1977 Fri, May-30-03 12:46

slp2000

Why stay away from the Advantage Bars? Just curious.

Karen

klawrence Fri, May-30-03 13:34

Quote:
Stay away from the Advantage bars.

Halleluiah!

Real food is the way to go. If it tastes too good to be true, it probably is.

slp2000 Fri, May-30-03 13:42

During induction you should be eating "real food", the bars are very good after induction. It's my understanding that bars could slow down the weight loss.

Bebet Fri, May-30-03 13:53

How to make this work

Did you read the book or visit the web site. Lots of very useful/important information on how to do this. It's really important to do the induction as it states.
Visit these boards for helpful info and support as needed. Good luck! :wave:

GramnGramp Fri, May-30-03 14:07

Ditto what slp2000 said.

Taking measurements is really important. I didn't do it and sure do regret it. Sometimes the scale just won't move, but all the while you are losing inches. It saves you a lot of grief when you can see the difference in inches with no change on the scale.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck to you. :wave:

acohn Fri, May-30-03 14:23

I suggest tossing out the "Lose 30 lbs. by August" goal if you want to stay serene on any diet. Your body's going to adjust to a new diet independent of your conscious goals. Insisting that it do otherwise could be a setup for frustration.

Other than that, the key to success is to follow the diet plan rigorously for the first 8 weeks, including plenty of water (many folks here drink 3 liters/100 oz. per day), taking potassium supplements (you can lose a lot at first, if you don't supplement), and spread your nutrition over the entire day (e.g., don't cram all your protein in in the morning, or all your carbs in in the evening). Bodies tend to like a steady supply of nutrients.

Much success to you!

domus Fri, May-30-03 16:19

COMMITMENT!

nothing will taste as good as a 30 lb loss will feel

violet30 Fri, May-30-03 17:03

Drink that water!!! It's a chore for me, but it isworth it.

Don't cheat (unlike me)! I have cheated for 1 day before, and while the scale didn't go up, it took days for it to start going down again. :mad:

And always feel freeto ask questions here! I have been here just a couple of weeks, but I love it! The people are awesome!

Beetlebug Fri, May-30-03 17:05

Candigirl, I originally wanted to lose thirty by August too, but now that I have finally found a diet I am not hungry on, I am thrilled the scale does not go up, but down :D I decided that if it takes longer that is ok. I feel good and want it to be a lifestyle not a yo-yo diet like when I have tried other diets before.
I would say make sure your fat intake is up and that you eat if you are hungry with all the legal stuff. Promise you won't be hungry after that and the best is the weight still comes off!!

Nadz Fri, May-30-03 18:53

If you don't have the book, get it :read: There's so much IMPORTANT information in there. My advice is to...yes, get that water in, and put some variety in your diet with many of the great recipes here on other forums.

All the best!! It'll be, not only for your weight loss, but for your overall health. Enjoy.

:roll: