Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Burnt steak anyone? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=91679)

mum2four Mon, Mar-10-03 21:47

Burnt steak anyone?

Tonight I thought I would grill some nice juicy steaks for me and the kids. It was nice, low 60's and thought "I can do this". It was my first time, I even put the grill together by myself. Got the charcoal going good. Put the steaks on, kept checking, cooking away. Went to help my son with homework for just a few minutes! Went back outside and the darn things are aflame!!!!!!
Crispy critters for dinner tonight. Only one side though, and the kids said it still tasted good to them. Poor souls they were just being kind to their silly old mom.
I did eat mine though because I was hungry. Better luck next time maybe.

Vicki :daze:

m0bster Mon, Mar-10-03 21:53

Mum...I kinda like a burnt steak every now and then. As for your Signature, Im not so sure I like THAT! :) You have to know that as a SC Born and bred person, my loyalties lie with the Orange and White. Clemson is THE University of South Carolina. Just thought I would share that with you! :D:D:D:D

GO TIGERS!!!

mum2four Mon, Mar-10-03 22:04

Clemson...?

You can't be serious!!!!! :devil:

Gamecocks are best, and they are chickens, so I get hungry enough I may eat one!!!!

Vicki

m0bster Mon, Mar-10-03 22:05

Uhhhh....right. :D:D:D:D:D

mum2four Mon, Mar-10-03 22:09

I forgot

Go Gamecocls!!! :p

Still like ya even though you have strange ideas about college teams. :spin:

I enjoy your posts, Keep up the good work I'm sorta stalled right now, but it hasn't been two full weeks yet.

vicki :D

1busymomma Mon, Mar-10-03 22:57

hehe. You mean you did not like that nice all natural crust it left on the steaks????

Teuthis Tue, Mar-11-03 06:47

Still Good?

As long as they were not overly done inside, I'm sure they would taste pretty good. But, now you know. You can't leave anything over a direct heat or flame without watching it. The flames were good, if you had been there to turn them and limit its effects.

A long time aqo, I switched to a gas grill. I use water-soaked hickory chips to provide the smokey flavor. I have more control over the flame and the direct heat. Many meats benefit greatly from using indirect heat, and its easier to control on the gas grill.

Better luck next time:)

BarbCA Tue, Mar-11-03 07:21

:D:D:D
I know better than to do that, too, but last time my sister visited, I went back in for something and came back to find my chicken on the rotisserie blazing. It was still good after we removed the charred skin. :D

vbrowne Tue, Mar-11-03 08:45

If I burn something, I just dip it in mayonnaise - my DH thinks I'm very warped when I do this.

Vikki

UAGirl Tue, Mar-11-03 10:21

Mmmmm burnt steak.

As long as it had no red in it, I'm game!! YUM!! :D

Iowagirl Tue, Mar-11-03 13:51

You guys have some nerve talking about grilling when it's 15 degrees where I am. Just thought I'd say that.

:D

vbrowne Tue, Mar-11-03 13:54

Hey, it's a balmy -2 here today - I have a George Forman to grill with in the winter.

Vikki

Iowagirl Tue, Mar-11-03 14:09

I have a Foreman, too - love it. But it lacks that smoked, waving the bugs away taste of an outdoor grill.

KoKo Tue, Mar-11-03 14:27

Once in a while I'm very brave and still BBQ even in the depths of winter or should I say the depths of spring the way its going here, our BBQ is on a screened in porch and I can it watch it through the patio door window. It took me a long time to switch from charcoal to gas, I was convinced we would lose flavour, but am actually quite happy with the gas. Of course charcoal is more fun, because its so unpredictable. :daze:

penk Tue, Mar-11-03 17:56

I BBQ year round, but I admit it's not as easy when the weather is sub zero (celsius). (I always think I'm making the neighbour's mouths water from the "summertime" smell of bbq - hmm.. maybe I'm just being annoying!)

My favourite meat now that I'm doing Atkins is a T-bone steak, funny considering I never used to care much for red meat.

When I had my first steak with grilled mushrooms shortly after starting this woe, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.... <i>ambrosia... </i>

Penny
(gas grill user)