Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   being pear shaped (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137889)

lordon Thu, Sep-18-03 04:09

being pear shaped

5th day on Atkins! I have a question. I have a pear shaped figure, will Atkins still work for me, I am going to stay with it but I am having doubts since articles I have been reading say Apple shapes benefit from the Atkins diet, but Most Pear Shapes do better on a low calorie low fat diet. I really want this to work and I am being optimistic, but wondering if anyone has an opionion or proof on this??

serrelind Thu, Sep-18-03 06:06

I'm sure you'll find people of all shapes and sizes doing Atkins successfuly. So don't worry about your shape :)

josiekat Thu, Sep-18-03 06:29

Hey Lordon,

I'm a pear (lucky me.....not! LOL) and have had success with this WOE. Like Serralind said...it works for all shapes and sizes....so you will be fine.

Wishing you much success,
Jo

Seto Kaiba Thu, Sep-18-03 06:34

I too am pear shaped. Atkins has really changed the composition of my body. I have lost a lot in the lower half of my body. (And Atkins is the only thing that has ever worked for me!)

Hang in there and enjoy eating good food!!

:wave:

AzureMoon Thu, Sep-18-03 06:54

Woohooo!

Seto Kaiba,

Congratulations on reaching your goal! :Party: :Party: :Party:

You are a great example for those of us still on the journey.

lordon Thu, Sep-18-03 07:05

Thanks everyone, I needed to hear your replies. I am so much more hopeful now. and congrats to all. :thup:

HipsGalore Thu, Sep-18-03 09:07

Oh, I know exactly how you feel....hence my screen name "HipsGalore"
I have doing this 36 days and lost 15 pounds. To me, it's a triumph since i am on medications that cause weight gain and have a physical disabilty also.

We ladies of the pear-shaped persuation may have to be a little more patient on getting those hips down, but, I KNOW, it will happen.

Kathy54 Thu, Sep-18-03 09:19

I'm not sure if you'd call me a pear shape, or shall I used to be?? But most of my weight "was" in my butt /thighs/legs.
To see how this has worked for me,go have a look at my
Before and After Pic's in my journal post #406.

I'm sure you'll do just fine with this plan, just remember its a way of eating for life, not a diet for now, cause beleive me it can come back so fast if we revisit Carb city, LOL

Cheers Kathy

Archie Thu, Sep-18-03 09:20

I'm a pear too (and a rather plump and juicy one at that!). That pear shape seems to be the section that holds on longest but even it is beginning to fade :yay:
Have faith! Atkins works no matter what shape!

filmlass23 Thu, Sep-18-03 11:45

My doctor told us that us "pears" are prone to diabetes... there was some study done recently that suggests pear-shaped women have a higher tendency to become diabetic.

I don't know know if that's true or not, but if it IS -- this is probably the right WOE for us. Cutting the carbs could be a really great preventative measure!

siara28 Thu, Sep-18-03 12:29

I don't think that the shape of your body will reflect at all how you do on atkins!!
Good luck, you can do it!!!!!!!

Heidi