Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Ice Cream and Ice Cream Maker (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=87907)

Beanie Thu, Feb-20-03 13:13

Ice Cream and Ice Cream Maker

Hi everyone,

I would really like to buy an ice cream maker. I have a Rival with a big blue bucket (don't know the model #) but I want a nicer one....Cuisinart, Kitchenaid,..? Mine is just so bulky. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars though so maybe my options are limited.
Does anyone have any recommendations of ones they really like?

Also, last time I made low carb ice cream it was a few years ago and I made only the recipes in Atkins recipe book. Any recommendations on favorite flavors and recipes?

Thanks,
Beanie

wcollier Thu, Feb-20-03 13:27

Hi Beanie:

I did a search for you on everything "ice cream" related. There's lots of info to wade through.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/search.p...rder=descending

I use a Krups ice cream maker and I've been happy with the results. I think lots of people use the Cuisinart as well. I don't know if you've made LC ice cream yet. If you haven't, the results won't be the same as regular ice cream which relies on sugar and/or alcohol to stay soft. Of course, that's providing that it lasts long enough to have to freeze. ;)

Wanda

katticus Sun, Feb-23-03 19:03

Ice-cream maker

Hi Beanie,

I got my ice-cream maker from e-bay for a bargain. It took ages for one to be listed for sale, but once it did it was worth the wait. It might be a good place to start.

Regards,

Katt

Karen Mon, Feb-24-03 02:15

I've used different electric ice cream makers and the one I still like best is the simple, hand cranked Donvier. It's easy to use, cleans up easily and works well. You don't have to sit there cranking. A few turns every few minutes is all it takes. If you have kids or guests over, they really have fun doing it!

Getting a constantly turned texture isn't necessary for low-carb ice cream because no matter what, it's rock solid after freezing over night. Sugar is what keeps ice-cream supple while frozen. A bit of alcohol will help in LC ice cream though.

Karen

ckx4 Fri, Mar-14-03 16:17

Hi Karen
About Ice Cream makers, I have a Donvier too, it's great, no salt, no ice, no electricity. Thanks for the tip about adding alcohol. I made some LC ice cream last week for the first time and you're right, it does turn hard as a rock overnight! I think I'll try it again tonight with a splash of Grand Marnier!

ckx4

BarbCA Tue, Mar-18-03 07:45

I have a Krups and it worked very well on regular Ice Cream. I haven't tried it with low carb yet but thinking about it.

HoneyBare Wed, Mar-26-03 14:07

just tried it

I got the el cheapo rivel for 15 bucks and so very glad now that i made my ice cream that i didnt get a most expensive one. It takes like 10 mins to make in the maker, and its tasty. I am back on induction so I have simple french nella, but im thinking I want to use it for a different purpose than a desert now that ive tasted it. I think it'll be great to freeze and use a tablespoon in my morning coffee.

MaryToU Wed, Mar-26-03 15:34

"Amazon.com: Kitchen & Housewares: Cuisinart ICE-20 1-1/2-Quart Automatic Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt & Sorbet Maker, White"

49.95 with no shipping and handling. Very easy to use!

DDMariana Thu, Mar-27-03 17:28

You mean just dump in some booze??? :D

And that will make it keep it's texture??

Way cool... :yay:

HoneyBare Fri, Mar-28-03 23:58

also...

Was doin my thrift store shopping and yard sailin this past weekend and saw like 3-4 makers cheap cheap
So might not hurt to look in that direction. Sorry, but I AM Ms ElCheapo and cannot ever see paying 20+ for a piece of equipment that's not used daily and even a lot of times, not weekly.
I'd invest those kinda bucks in a blender, since I do probably make a shake a day.
Anyways...some ideas :)