Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   SPLENDA vs Equal - Yours views please !! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=34104)

Chloep Thu, Feb-14-02 21:53

SPLENDA vs Equal - Yours views please !!

Hi,

I've checked out some of Karen's recipes for cheesecake and would really like to try them.

However, I've not been able to get hold of Splenda. I've checked on the internet, and can order them via those website.

Thingis, how does Splenda compare with Equal ?

I don't like Equal coz they change form when you add them to cooking.
And worse of all, Aspartame leaves a very bad aftertaste !!!

Does Splenda taste like real sugar ?

Those of you who have tried splenda, please give me some views :) !!

If its a great product, I'd happily pay the shipping charges ... I dont live in AMerica so its kinda pricey to buy sugar over the net !!

Karen Thu, Feb-14-02 23:03

Check out Doreen's Article on Sweeteners in Low Carb Tips at the top of the page and this link to a good discussion on the topic:

Sweeteners

And no, I don't think Splenda tastes like sugar. It can't be used cup for cup, even though it's advertised on the box. Sweeteners are better when a combination is used, like Splenda and Sugar Twin. I've found that by using both, the amount of sweetener can be cut back by about 75%.

Karen

K-Louise Fri, Feb-15-02 06:01

Splenda

Splenda is the only artificial sweetener I have ever used that I like the taste of. It seems very sweet to me now, perhaps because I'm not eating real sugar. Its great for cooking (at least I think so). I don't find it has a bitter aftertaste at all. It is worth the shipping I would say.

Cheers
Kim

doreen T Fri, Feb-15-02 06:24

Splenda will stay stable in cooking .. unlike Equal/aspartame which loses its sweetness when heated for prolonged period, eg baking.

Doreen

Jennie64 Fri, Feb-15-02 09:37

I like the taste of Equal alot better in my coffee, but it gives me really bad headaches for some reason. The aspartame I guess. Splenda doesn't have a whole of taste to me, at least in a cup of coffee.
Jennie
:)

jedswife Mon, Nov-14-05 14:22

equal is sooo nasty!

Cappy Tue, Nov-15-05 06:38

I will only use Splenda now....to me it tastes just like sugar. There is no aftertaste with Splenda like I find with Equal, Sugar Twin, Sweet n Low, etc. I have never baked with it, so I can't help ya there but I LOVE SPLENDA! I think it would be worth the shipping.

boree Tue, Nov-15-05 08:41

I only use Splenda. I like the taste and it doesn't have that nasty Aspartane in it. :)

zorra_1 Tue, Nov-15-05 10:04

I like Splenda too, especially because of it's heat stability. There is nothing worse than that metallic aftertaste aspartame has after baking...yuck! It may be pricey, but luckily it's not as heavy as real sugar!

csoar2004 Tue, Nov-15-05 18:43

Quote:
SPLENDA vs Equal - Yours views please !!

I don't use either one
Don't plan to ever use them
I have a problem eating something that isn't grown in a garden or raised on a pasture or caught in a lake/river. I'm not adapted to chemically created sweeteners. :D