Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   How bad did I blow it?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=32035)

MyDelaney Mon, Jan-28-02 21:16

How bad did I blow it??

I'm so mad at myself! A coworker of mine bought me a case of red grapefruits because I told her how much I love them (prior to starting Atkins). I have a whole case of them at my house and I just ate 1/2 of one. I'M SO MAD AT MYSELF :mad:

How bad did I blow it? I'm sure this will throw me out of ketosis (my ketostick was pink a few hours ago before I ate the darn thing), but for how long?

I'm hoping it won't take more than a day to get back into ketosis...in the meantime I'll stew at myself and know that I definately learned my lesson. :thdown:

MyDelaney Mon, Jan-28-02 21:42

I forgot to mention, I'm on day 8 of induction.

sailfish Mon, Jan-28-02 22:49

I wouldn't kill yourself over 1/2 a grapefruit. it's one of the lowest carb fruits out there .... and on maintainance it is perfectly fine to 1/2 every day. however, in induction you should be very very careful - though my research says 1/2 of a red grapefruit is only 9.5 g of carbs - so you might not be as bad off as you think.

hang in there - and remember mistakes happen and 1/2 of a grapefruit is better than 1/2 of a dainish!

razzle Mon, Jan-28-02 23:11

sailfish is right about the carbs--it's not too awful for a half a grapefruit. If this does toss you out of ketosis, the minimum I've ever experienced is about three days before I'm back in ketosis. YMMV

Be patient and gentle with yourself. Instead of blaming, feeling guilty, hating ourselves, it's better for long-term management of this WOE to consider what we can learn from the slip. Was it seeing the fruit, hearing others talking about it, wanting to be polite to a kind friend that triggered the behavior? If you can figure out the mechanism--the thoughts, emotions, habits that led you to eat something you knew you shouldn't--then you can come up with strategies for the next time a similar situation arises. HTH!

MyDelaney Tue, Jan-29-02 09:56

Thank You

Thank you for your replies and support. I used one of my ketostix this morning and it was barely trace for ketosis. (it may have been negative)
I definately learned my lesson and hopefully I'll get back into ketosis SOON! :D

TerrieP Tue, Jan-29-02 09:59

Grapefruit

Could have been a whole lot worse. Keep those grapefruits for later down the road.

Eat just meat and green leafy veggies and you should be fine.

Think about it . . . "Grapefruit" . . . at least it wasn't a chocolate bar.

Way to go on your success so far. Keep up the good work.

Sh'ra Tue, Jan-29-02 10:28

As long as I make the grapefruit part of my carb allotment, it doesn't hurt me to have 1/2 of one occasionally - just wait til after induction, and have one on occasion - in the meantime, there are some wonderful shelters out there who would be happy to have the rest :)

Shalom,
Sh'ra