Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I'm impressed... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=89388)

jealibeanz Thu, Feb-27-03 16:46

I'm impressed...

I can't believe the difference that I feel on this WOE. I have been keeping my calories around 1500, a little low considering all of my activity. However, I feel more energetic and less hungry than I did when I was eating over 2000 calories, a great deal of which came from fruit.

I also am much calmer and happier. I feel that this plan could work for me! Last summer/fall I had been doing more of a Zone style eating. So, this is not too foreign to my body, but this still is much different even from that type of diet.

Over the last few months I have been a little lax about eating and had too much fruit and even some sugar. I only had small amounts, but it definitely made a difference. I was much more tired and hungry despite eating much more. I gained weight even with swimming 2+ hours a day and weight lifting!

I think I definitely have a sugar/carb intolerence. I just feel so much better without it. Here's the thing: I am a competitive college swimmer. Eating this was is seen as taboo. While protein consumption is now being hyped, carbs still are said to be the main staple of an athlete's diet. I don't know how to explain this to my friends and teammates. I just know this works well for me. Maybe not for others, I don't know how other people react, just how I do.

I haven't trained intensively while on Atkin's. But I did while Zone style eating and thrived tremendously. I've only been doing Atkin's for 11 days. I have worked out at the gym intensively and lifted weights, and light swimming. I just haven't done any major swim workout, so I don't know how this will affect me in the future.

I plan to be in OWL, or the 3rd phase by the time I return to competitive swimming. So maybe I will be OK, I don't know. Well thanks for reading this long long post. I just wanted to get some things out in the open because I don't have any one in person who understands!

Dingo10520 Thu, Feb-27-03 17:30

I know just what you mean about feeling great on low/no carbs. It sounds like you have a great attitude and I know this is really going to work well for you. Keep on keeping on and good luck on that swim team!

Yaseruzo~! Thu, Feb-27-03 23:00

I'm so glad you're feeling so great on this WOE. I know exactly what you mean though, because I feel fantastic! I usually don't tell people that I'm on Atkins. If they ask, I just tell them that I'm watching my sugar (or "I'm just not in the mood for pasta"). I get tired of explaining what Atkins is all about to people who really don't even want to understand it in the first place, you know? So, if I were you, I wouldn't even tell them anything! Good luck!