Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Nitrates (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=106417)

jamian Mon, May-19-03 08:07

Nitrates

Just wondering how many folks out there abstain or limit nitrates and nitrites like from baccon or sausage as the good Dr. suggests. I can't find nitrate free baccon and if I could I don't know if I would want to buy it because it is probably expensive and spoils quickly (aren't nitrates preservatives?). I couldn't live w/o baccon or sausage or the plain eggs would kill me! How dangerous are they really?

jamian Mon, May-19-03 08:41

Bump

HogarthNH Mon, May-19-03 09:02

jamian,

Nitrate free bacon and stuff is available at Natural Foods stores.

If you have Trader Joe's around there, give them a shot.

It might not last as long -- but since it's safer to eat, and quite tasty, I'd imagine that you'll finish it off long before it would spoil.

Nitrate-Free salami is really good too.

coolazchic Mon, May-19-03 09:23

I have tried nitrate free bacon before (from Trader Joe's) but I find that nitrate free has more sodium so it causes me to retain water and go up in the scale dept. So with that being said, I prefer the stuff with the nitrates in it. It does not affect my weight loss. HTH

gotbeer Mon, May-19-03 11:05

Bacon/Ham/Sausage/Hot Links -

Love them all, eat them almost daily, and down 35 lbs in 3 months.

Would have been more loss had I restricted the booze more.

jplush76 Mon, May-19-03 12:55

restrict the booze? never utter those words here again. haha

campbanana Mon, May-19-03 15:04

So, is the "booze" good or bad for you? I'm not a drinker but if it helps...

I've been eating bacon, sausage and ham daily also. Yummy! I would have never touched the stuff previously due to the fat content. I just love Atkins!

jplush76 Mon, May-19-03 15:07

unfortunately booze doesn't help the diet :)

gotbeer Mon, May-19-03 16:42

Alcohol delays the fat loss, since it is metabolized first, but it does not sabotage the diet like too many carbs will.

Interestingly, alcohol will cause some dehydration, so that it might appear that you've had a Whoosh, but the pounds will return soon as you restore your body's fluids.

Many alcoholic drinks contain sugars, so if you drink on Atkins, stick with clear liquors (gin, vodka, tequila, rum), dry red wines, or the wretched Michelob Ultra, which has less than 3 carbs per bottle. :Puke:

jplush76 Mon, May-19-03 16:44

EVIL michelob ultra, it stinks.. I'd rather have miller lite with 3 carbs or amstel light with 4 carbs per 12 oz.

I usually go with red wine or miller lite but I found the sweetest thing for diet margaritas...

take 2 shots of tequilla and one 12oz can of minute maid diet lemonade... some ice and shake em all up and you have two cups of awesome marggies.

Louisa Mon, May-19-03 16:55

Quote:
Originally posted by jplush76
EVIL michelob ultra, it stinks.. I'd rather have miller lite with 3 carbs or amstel light with 4 carbs per 12 oz.

I usually go with red wine or miller lite but I found the sweetest thing for diet margaritas...

take 2 shots of tequilla and one 12oz can of minute maid diet lemonade... some ice and shake em all up and you have two cups of awesome marggies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ooo, ooo......add margarita salt to the edge of the glass (if you can handle sodium)....yum!

I am glad you posted this info about alcohol cuz' as a newbie, I have questions........so alcohol only affects the fat burning process until it (alcohol) is burned off? It doesn't usually cause water gain or a "stall", or knocking you out of ketosis?

I'd like to hear any of your experiences as I love to have a drink now and then but am afraid to.

jplush76 Mon, May-19-03 16:58

the cool thing about being on the diet is that you get buzzed ALOT faster so you won't need as much alcohol compared to what you're used to.

Even on induction I'd have beers on the weekends and I lost just fine. I would stall for maybe a day or two then right back to losing. You can't drink everyday but on the weekend works for me.

HogarthNH Mon, May-19-03 17:28

Quote:
Originally posted by jplush76
EVIL michelob ultra, it stinks..

Hey! I rather like it.

You need to be accustomed to light lagers, but I think it tastes almost exactly like Sapporo.

coolazchic Mon, May-19-03 23:15

I like the Michelob Ultra. If I just stick to drinking occasionally on the weekends it usually does not affect my weight loss but if I go nuts and drink shots or other things besides the Ultra I either gain a pound or two or stall for a few days. :(