Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Heinz low carb ketchup (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=159435)

enginepe Wed, Jan-14-04 11:24

Heinz low carb ketchup

Has anyone had any luck finding the elusive new Heinz lo carb ketchup? I've read articles about it and how it's available around the country but I cant even find it online. It's supposed to have only 1 gram of carbs per serving.

edie Thu, Jan-15-04 14:02

Nothing I've seen here in Mass. yet, either!

mommyto3 Thu, Jan-15-04 14:04

I've never heard of or seen it. Now I would be in heaven if I could get my hands on a low carb ketchup!!!

edie Thu, Jan-15-04 14:26

Right now I use Atkins brand, it is pretty good, but a bit spicey for me. I love ketchup with my scrambled eggs tho.

JohnP Fri, Jan-16-04 10:33

Last Saturday,a manager at my local WalMart said that it was on order. I am going back tomorrow. Hope it has come in.

Johnie

ian559 Fri, Jan-16-04 14:09

Around here they say at least another month or 2

Sprissy Fri, Jan-16-04 18:25

I haven't seen it here either, but now I will be looking.

centikel Sat, Jan-17-04 10:33

The closest I've come is a no sugar added ketchup I got from Whole Foods Market, a big health food chain of supermarkets. I don't remember the total carbs. It was good though, like a tasty tomato paste. Now I just use tomato puree or such on my eggs since I cannot find the sugar free ketchup any more (I should inquire at the store).

Is the low carb kethup coming out lower carb than the tomato would make it? That might be wierd. Though there are some good volume replacers out there. So those plus some tomato extract may be an okay way to get rid of some of the tomato sugars.

WendyLynn Sat, Jan-17-04 17:32

I haven't seen the Heinz in St. Louis yet. We use the Steel's ketchup and bbq sauce. Both are sweetened with Splenda. The bbq sauce has 2 grams/2tbs serving and the ketchup says 0grams/1tbs serving. Both are very good but the ketchup is a bit sweet.

dveenhuis Wed, Jan-28-04 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginepe
Has anyone had any luck finding the elusive new Heinz lo carb ketchup? I've read articles about it and how it's available around the country but I cant even find it online. It's supposed to have only 1 gram of carbs per serving.

If you can't find it try this recipe. It tastes incredibly like Heinz. When I started induction, I bought Atkins ketchup for about $4.00. I made the same quantity of the recipe below for about 75 cents and it tasted much better.

2 small cans of tomato paste (12 fl oz)
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp granular Splenda - (I just used granular because I was out of packets.)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt

Mix everything together and store it in the fridge. The only thing I would change next time is cutting back on the onion powder a bit - I found it a little too obvious. That could just be my brand, though...

Carbs per 1 Tbsp serving = approx 1.3

Kemss Thu, Jan-29-04 10:44

dveenhuis
Thanks for sharing... I love ketchup and this is perfect. Thanks again.

xxxomnixxx Thu, Jan-29-04 10:52

My wife and I saw the Heinz low-carb ketchup at the Super Wal-Mart in Wallkill, NY the other day. It wasn't with the low-carb feature display that they recently added. I forget now if it was with the regular ketchup, or the sugar-free stuff. Sorry. Neither of us are big fans of ketchup, so we didn't buy any.

centikel Thu, Jan-29-04 15:20

dveenhuis: thanks for the recipe. I am going to make a batch this weekend.