Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   yummy easy pizza base (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138689)

redawn Mon, Sep-22-03 11:29

yummy easy pizza base

I have been toasting egg plant slices in the oven at about 375 until they are crisp/dry and then topping them like pizza dough and baking it up. I make my 'za with anchovies. . .you can leave those off. But I am not really fond of the egg base. . .and I wanted pizza. . .got a big eggplant and sliced some thin slices. . .the un used toasted slices can make mini pizzas tomorrow or for dinner. YUM! redawn:)

irisda Mon, Sep-22-03 17:03

I have discovered the low carb tortillas. I toast them in the oven for a couple of minutes then spread about a tablespoon of tomato sauce and add my toppings. the small tortilla is about 11 carbs with net effective carbs of 3. its working well so far. it comes out like a thin crust crispy pizza. its delicious.

Wenzday Tue, Sep-23-03 07:09

egg plant eh? hmmm well I've never had it before but I'd try it..I really do NOT like the egg one either... and I definately dont want to get into tortillas just one step away from bread and I decided no way! maybe in a year I will reevaluate.

Plagiomom Tue, Sep-23-03 08:52

Just another idea with the eggplant - something my dad was doing that was VERY yummy. I love breaded/fried eggplant, and my dad found a low-carb way to still acheive this. Instead of bread crumbs, he used grated parmesian cheese and then fried them up in a pan.......I was surprised at how good they tasted! That also may make a tasty bottom for pizza. :)

adkpam Tue, Sep-23-03 09:17

I love Portabello mushroom caps as pizza bases. I like mushroom anyway. Just pull the stems off, add a little olive oil, and bake at 350 for 7 minutes. Add topping and bake another 7 min.
It's FANTASTIC.

redawn Tue, Sep-23-03 11:54

unfortuantly as most people leave off the anchovies. . .I leave off the mushrooms. .. like them only cooked in butter and garlic or pickled in vinagerette. The eggplant slices taste like nothing. . .that's what makes them perfect. Grill up some onions. . .peppers. . .sausage. . .put on sauce, cheddar cheese, mozzeralla. . .yummy! redawn:)

maryc Fri, Sep-26-03 08:42

Wow that sounds great! I have eggplants growing in my garden so I will have to try this out!
Thanks!!

redawn Sat, Sep-27-03 08:32

betcha it would work for taco toppings too. . .redawn:)

mikemcginn Sat, Sep-27-03 21:16

I melt Kraft sharp cheese in a non-stick pan. When cooled it makes a nice crust. It holds all the toppings
and gives good crunch.

Wenzday Sun, Sep-28-03 18:53

hmmm..love the new ideas!

SO what does an egg plant look like? is it the purple bulb looking things?

Wolfiesask Sun, Sep-28-03 22:12

My mom told me she used the Atkins pancake mix and made a large pancake and used it for a base. Only 3 carbs and she said it crisped up nicely with her toppings. My 2 cents........

Nicole :wave:

mikemcginn Mon, Sep-29-03 05:25

Wolfiesask
I really like your monthly goals. You are
setting a great example.
I do ok with the food. It is the exercise that
is my main downfall right now. I also drink way
to much diet soda and not enought water.

redawn Mon, Sep-29-03 05:27

yup the big purple thing. redawn:)