Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Induction Soup Anyone? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=140037)

Ohio Kim Mon, Sep-29-03 10:00

Induction Soup Anyone?

I'm in induction and as the weather begins to cool off, I was thinking soup sounds good. Does anyone have a recipe for a low carb soup that could be consumed during Induction? Thanks a bunch.

swtdrae Mon, Sep-29-03 10:36

I don't make soup but there is a recipie section in the forum. Hope it helps?

Catalina Mon, Sep-29-03 10:42

I'm in Induction too and love soup and came up with this one:

8 chicken thighs
1/4 onion chopped
1 small tomato chopped
1/4 C diced green pepper
1/2 C sliced mushrooms
1 C broccoli..I like to use mostly the stems, chopped
2 clove garlic chopped
1/2 C. sliced celery

Simmer thighs in water with a bay leaf, half an onion and salt and pepper until tender. Remove chicken, discard onion, cool broth and skim fat from top. Shred chicken into broth (no skin) add veggies except broc and season to taste (I like fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley). Add broccoli during last ten minutes of cooking.

This recipe yielded about 8 C.

I used Fitday to figure out the nutritional values:2 C serving is 153 Cals and 5 Carbs

Buen Provecho!

peiqinglon Mon, Sep-29-03 11:15

Misso soup :D

Hilary M Mon, Sep-29-03 11:17

The Atkins site has a recipe for a creamy mushroom soup that's pretty good. It's a pureed soup, so when it's done it's smooth and thin enough to almost drink out of a mug. Great if you like the taste of mushrooms!

acipenser Mon, Sep-29-03 11:27

i really like this recipe: click for recipe

JulieL Mon, Sep-29-03 11:54

Thanks for that link but I have a question.

Here's the recipe from the link:

3/4 cup cooked chicken or turkey chopped or shreadded (0)
1 cup chicken broth (.6)
1 stalk celery, chopped (.8)
1/2 small tomato, chopped (1.6)
2 tablespoons heavy cream (.8)
2 tablespoons cream cheese (.8)
sprinkle of salt and italian seasoning. (.4)
1/4 cup chopped onion (2.75)

And it says it is 8 carbs for one serving (9 if you add onion). I don't see how that's right -- I get 7.8 even with the onion. I put the amount of carbs next to each item (from the Atkins Carb Counter). Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with the carb count???? I'd hate to think that my inability to count carbs is the reason I'm losing so slowly!

Julie

Debi Warne Mon, Sep-29-03 12:16

chicken broth, broccoli, cook until broccoli is tender, then puree, in another pan heat some whipping cream with some cheese until the cheese is melted, then mix both together.

Creamy broccoli cheesy soup. You can also use cauliflower or you can add a bit of chopped onions and some chopped chicken.

Also check the orange bar at the top of the page under recipes -- I bet there are other yummies there.

vbrowne Mon, Sep-29-03 13:04

cheddar cheese & broccoli soup. http://www.carb-lite.au.com/61SOUPS...heese_soup.html

AJ_0001 Mon, Sep-29-03 14:21

I got a recipe for Egg Drop Soup from the Atkins site - it is really good, and I especially like it because I don't care much for eggs unless they're soft-boiled or over-easy and I can sop up the egg with toast! So the soup is a nice change from scrambled - and it's easy. I have modified as follows:

1 can Campbells condensed chicken broth and 1 can water
2 eggs
hot chili flakes to taste
garlic powder to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
grated parmesan cheese (approx. 1 tablespoon)
1 green onion, sliced thin
(optional) diced ham or sausage

Combine chili flakes, garlic powder, pepper and chicken broth and water; bring to a boil. While heating, whisk 2 eggs. When liquid is boiling, slowly pour eggs into the liquid - should form strings as it pours - or, you can pour over a large slotted spoon. Toss in diced meat if you want, and parmesan cheese to taste. Garnish with green onion.

acipenser Wed, Oct-01-03 07:23

i am not sure how the carb count was figured in that link. i am sory. i think every carb counter is a little different.

Serena Wed, Oct-01-03 10:27

I have had the mock eggdrop made with just egg and broth an dthat si good, BUT...I just made it and put some turkey meat in it....YUM!

This had sooo much flavor! I am doing Stillman's for a few day to get the weight loss going because I haven't had very good luck losing with Atkins. I can maintain really well on Atkins, but I want to lose a few first. Anyway, this soup is just what the Dr ordered. IT only had 2 grams of carbs, the fat from the egg and the protein from the egg and turkey (I made a whole Turkey the other day, I love to have it in the house for easy meals and snacks).

Just thought I'd share...I just finished it when I saw this post!