Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   encouragement (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165759)

ridlon Mon, Feb-09-04 17:31

encouragement

Hi, I'm new to this idea of a support group. I have been on Atkin's since April 2003. I started at 260 lbs and now weigh 212.5. It feels great to actually loose .I guess I just want to talk to some folks who have been where I am and can offer advice and encouragement. I know it takes a long time to reach goals, but sometimes it seems the journey will be endless. I don't have any friends or family who eat low carb, so there is noone who actually can help. please write back with any suggestions you may have as I could use some friends in this way of life.Thanks a lot. Ridlon

2Airedales Mon, Feb-09-04 18:09

Welcome to the board.

It takes some of us along time to reach goal, I've been at my present weight since November! But I'll hang in there it'll get moving.

Kristine Mon, Feb-09-04 18:55

Hi and welcome! :wave:

In one context, the journey is endless, because even once you reach your goal weight, you still have to maintain it. The good news - the ride isn't so bad! :thup:

sfdebchat Mon, Feb-09-04 19:07

Hi Ridlon,

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for encouragement as the people here are wonderful. Congrats on your success so far. You have lost almost 50 pounds already and that is sooo wonderful. Give yourself some hugs! You are on the right track.

deb

cheshire Tue, Feb-10-04 09:40

need help

I am an experienced yo-yo dieter/exerciser. worked my butt off last year to lose 20 lbs and had gained it back in 6 months while exercising 4 times a week. Found out I had a hypothyroid which equals almost non -existent metabolism. I have been on the verge of tears all morning since getting on the scale and seeing I have lost only 2 lbs since starting Atkins 3 weeks ago, and that is probably just water.

atkins book says hypothyroid people may have problems but he didn't say it would be a complete waste of time even trying. So sad cuz I have really stuck to this stupid diet. Wondering what I am doing wrong.

How much did you lose the first 3 weeks?

Indigo_ Tue, Feb-10-04 10:27

Ridlon~

I didn't lose much on Atkins either. And I was good, too. About the same as you, about three pounds in three weeks. For me, I think the fat was too much. But that's just me. (Never mind that I have been yo-yo dieting all my life [50-something] and have probably kicked my metabolism totally out of whack.) A lot of people do lose a lot of weight on Atkins.

Maybe your doc can prescribe some thyroid to kick up the fires a bit?

Are you eating enough? Perhaps starvation-mode has kicked in.

Good luck, stay with it, we understand your anquish.

smoothblu Tue, Feb-10-04 10:31

Welcome to the board. Good luck.