Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Binged on SF chocolate (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=170378)

cpreece Tue, Mar-02-04 18:08

Binged on SF chocolate

I was in the grocery store with my daughter and she wanted to look at the Easter candy. I couldn't take my eyes off the Cadbury Creme Eggs. Those are my favorite! Anyway, I thought better of it but still had a huge craving for choclate so I bought a bag of Russell Stover's SF Peppermint Patties and Peanut Butter Cups. They were gone within an hour. Needless to say, I had to take the next day off of work because of stomach problems. :rolleyes:

The worst news is that I woke up today 4 pounds heavier. Can you gain that much weight from eating too much sugar alcohol?

MyJourney Tue, Mar-02-04 18:17

its probably water weight from bloating.

you may have been knocked out of ketosis as well.

Just go right back to it today and maybe avoid the SA for a couple of weeks. In the long run you'll be fine.

freckles Tue, Mar-02-04 18:20

I agree...the weight will come back off. Just get back on track and don't beat yourself up about it. Just consider it a lesson learned. :lol:

mclukey Tue, Mar-02-04 18:45

The same thing happens to me when I eat a lot of that stuff and it seems within a day or two the scale is back where it should be. You are probably better off having ate the sf candy rather than a couple bags of the real deal so you shouldn't feel too bad about that!!

KristyC Tue, Mar-02-04 19:59

Oh boy, I love the Russell Stover low-carb chocolates! I ate too many of them today myself. EEK!

NOGAINHERE Tue, Mar-02-04 20:05

uh, this stomach trouble. - gas- has anyone tried taking gas Ex w/ it?

serrelind Tue, Mar-02-04 20:13

Well look on the bright side. Intestinal side effects are a good indication that your body lacks the enzymes to break down that sugar alcohol, so some of the SA doesn't get absorbed into the system.

Moonwalker Tue, Mar-02-04 20:47

You should go out and get the ZCarb chocolate bars. They are really good.. and dont knock you out of ketosis!

BLBM Tue, Mar-02-04 21:00

I am Having the same issue with the russel stover SF chocolates , went a little crazy with them the last couple weeks gained 4 pounds myself and I have have carb cravings like crazy. I am not sure where to go from here I have told myself the last few days I am going to wake up tomorrow and do a proper induction for a week or to but I have gotten myself so addicted to nuts and SF treats that I havn't been successful yet, OH GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH. I am terrified I am going to gain my weight back. So yes I agree if you can quit with that stuff you will be fine. WE JUST HAVE TO BE STRONG AND DO IT

Delta Fox Wed, Mar-03-04 00:38

I hear You!!
I had the pleasure of enjoying some SF jelly beans. Not a "serving" , the WHOLE bag...They were special...like jelly belly jelly beans... I couldn't stop...let me tell you...or........... maby not!!! :rolleyes:

potatofree Wed, Mar-03-04 09:42

It'll all come out in the "end"... :lol:

beachmum Wed, Mar-03-04 09:52

BTDT on the SF chocolates. Found out that I will always have a binging mentality when it comes to certain foods. At least you stayed in the LC world, which is great. Hope your tummy feels better soon.

BLBM: I could have written your post!!! Am trying to add some exercise to my day, and hope it will help.

Good luck to all of you!!!

NYorker Wed, Mar-03-04 10:05

I had the same problem last night! I found a SF version of one of my all time faves - those Reisen chocolate covered caramels - and ate the whole (very small) bag. I was literally moaning out loud from the gas pains an hour later. Bleah.
I'd like to think I learned my lesson, but I have to say I doubt it. For this week at least I did!

Kristine Wed, Mar-03-04 10:14

Heh. I've found my sugar alcohol "tolerance" zone, and it's about 5 g. Anything higher than that is SICK (Serious Intestinal Concequences for Kristine)

FromVA Wed, Mar-03-04 10:17

The 4 lbs is probably water...but the weight gain would be the least of my concerns in your shoes! :) You were one brave woman to eat that much sugar alcohol at one time!