Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help -- Leg Cramps! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=46128)

pegm Thu, May-30-02 20:34

Help -- Leg Cramps!

Yesterday I started 'pool jogging' (running in my above ground pool) again because the weather warmed up here. Afterward I had cramps in my legs for a few minutes.

Today was worse. I had to stop after 25 minutes because of the leg cramps -- and my legs kept on cramping for hours afterward.

I'm not sure why this is happening. I did pool jogging last summer without any problems.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what to do about it? I believe that lack of certain nutrients can cause leg cramps, but I take supplements: multi vitamin; glutamine, potassium (Nu-Salt), magnesium, calcium, E, and C. I was not dehydrated -- drank plenty of water before and during exercise.

Any ideas what's happening? Anything I should try? Thanks for your help!

SlimShAdY Fri, May-31-02 18:43

2 ideas why..

Did you stretch before and afterwards? You said you did it "last summer" without any problems..lol thats a year ago! Your bodys gotta get used to it again too so I'd say either you didn't stretch enough, or maybe you did too much too fast?

Also, How much potassium are you taking a day? You might not be getting enough of that.

pegm Sat, Jun-01-02 19:06

I have been using the treadmill during the winter, but you are right, the pool is different.

I was taking 1/2 tsp of Nu-salt per day, but increased it to a whole tsp after having the leg cramps. I really wonder if it might not be vitamin related because I'm getting cramps today and I did not run today.

Is a whole teaspoon of the Nu-salt too much?

I really appreciate your ideas.

Thanks,

PineSlayer Sat, Jun-01-02 19:30

It still is likely vitamin related. If you aren't getting enough potassium (the Eades recommend four 99 mg tablets each day), magnesium, and calcium in the right balance, your muscles cannot recover.

HTH

Natrushka Sat, Jun-01-02 19:37

Cramping tends to be more cal/mag related than potassium. Potassium helps with muscle fatigue. A whole teaspoon of NuSalt is too much. 1/8th of a teaspoon will give you 500+mg of potassium, more than enough. When ever supplementing with potassium make sure you are well hydrated.

Calcium RDA is between 1000-1500 depending on age/sex. Magnesium is 400-600 also age/sex dependant. Getting both together in one pill is usually easier. Ratio is usually 2:1 (333mg cal/167 mg mag). Be sure you minerals are chelated (or citrate). You do not want calcium carbonate from oyster shells - it's very hard to digest.

HTH
Nat

pegm Sat, Jun-01-02 20:05

I got out my bottle of calcium/magnesium -- I take 3 tablets per day. The bottle states each tablet has 333 mg of calcium and 133 mg of magnesium from calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide. Does this sound alright, or should I buy something else? Is there a particular brand you recommend?

Nat, thanks for the info about the Nu-salt -- I will reduce my intake to th 1/8 tsp per day.

Thanks again.

PineSlayer Sat, Jun-01-02 20:12

Calcium-Magnesium

Peg,

The brand I take is KAL Extra Strength Calcium-Magnesium. Here are the Supplement Facts:
Serving Size 2 tablets
Calcium (as Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Amino Acid Chelate) 1000 mg, % DV: 100
Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate) 500 mg, %DV: 125
Betaine HCI 100 mg, %DV: not established.

I also take 396 mg of potassium gluconate, per Drs. Eades' recommendation in Protein Power LifePlan.

The bottoms of my feet used to cramp when I went to bed, now they don't.

HTH,