Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Is Ryvita OK ? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=56915)

aussiemike Tue, Aug-20-02 06:32

Is Ryvita OK ?

Hi All,

I am not totally new to this but i need to know something.

Is Ryvita a safe low-carb food ?

I recently got tired of salad and today had 4 ryvitas with cheese and ham - WAS FANTASTIC but i cant tell if they are high carb or not.

They seem to be lower than bread but am not sure
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE WELCOME!!!

Cheers!

LucyCL Tue, Aug-20-02 06:47

ryvita

Hello.
If you go to www.dietclub.com.au you can do a search on brands of foods. I looked up Ryvita and they ranged from 7 - 8 g per biscuit - so yes - if you are eating 4, they are pretty high in carbs!
Sorry:(

Lucy

CindySue48 Tue, Aug-20-02 06:50

ryvita

Their website has no nutritional values....but they describe it as "great source of carbohydrates for diabetics"! Doesn't sound good to me!

aussiemike Tue, Aug-20-02 06:56

Ryvita Part 2

Hi There,

Cheers for the Advice!

Looks like ill have to keep it to a minimum - it works out to 5.7 carbs per slice. DOH!! No wonder they tasted so good!

By the way Lucy, Im from Sydney, have been in London for 4 months but am originally from Coogee, Where r u ?

Bye
Mike

LucyCL Tue, Aug-20-02 07:04

Ryvita

Mike - I'm in Sydney - and was originally from the UK - 35 miles south of London! We moved here 3 years ago - and have just been given Permanent Residence! no going back to the UK for us!
Lucy

aussiemike Tue, Aug-20-02 07:08

Hi again

Hey there,

What suburb you live in ?

Funny, most Uk's never come home again !

LucyCL Tue, Aug-20-02 07:11

hello

West Pennant Hills. The sooner you get 25 posts under your belt the sooner we can Private Message:) Where do you live?

DPD Tue, Aug-20-02 07:13

Hi there, I tried http://www.calorieking.com/foods/fo...vita&food=72030 and it lists Ryvita at 4g per slice (doesn't list the fibre though). It makes you wonder if these sites are correct :confused:

aussiemike Tue, Aug-20-02 07:30

Cool

Lucy

I think im getting close then.

I know west pennant hills!

I used to go to Hornsby TAFE for a year in 1989.

One of my best friends lived out in Dural ithink it was!!!

So ur on atkins eh ?

Howz it going ?

aussiemike Tue, Aug-20-02 07:32

DPD

Hi DPD

4g is pretty low but the back of the pack says 5.7g per slice.

IM not sure if thats high or not...

If i remember Bread is around 25-50 per slice.

It may be a safe alternative afterall.

i really dont want to blow my diet, Ive come so far so will skip it if i need to!!!

DPD Tue, Aug-20-02 10:13

I think it may also depend on which kind you have. The one I looked up simply said Ryvita dark/light. I would really like to know the answer though. I'm really in need of something like this. I have a package of Wasa sitting beside me in my desk drawer right now that I would love to smear with cream cheese or SF peanut butter.

I was looking (lurking as some say) through a few journals to see what everyone was eating on a daily basis and I did see that someone eats Wasa Crispbreads occasionally. Not sure if they were a cheat or not. Didn't seem like it. If you have the time check out some journals.

I'll keep checking back to see if there are any more responses.
Cheers for now Donna

LucyCL Tue, Aug-20-02 22:01

Ozzie forum

hi Mike
Have you noticed there is a forum for Ozzies?
You asked If I am doing Atkins. I am - I didn't have stacks to lose -just the weight I put on since we moved to Oz - but my husband did. We started in Feb - I have lost 7 kgs, and he has lost 14!!!
It really is the easiest diet (whoops WOE) to follow!

Lucy

delilah Tue, Aug-20-02 23:30

I do eat Wasa Light Rye occasionally. The carb count listed is 6g, with 1g fiber, bringing it down to 5. I find it's a nice change sometimes, with some salmon flavoured cream cheese or tuna salad.

Oddly enough, none of the other Wasa breads I've found are anywhere near that low in carbs. I wouldn't eat them on induction, but they're fine for OWL, I think.

aussiemike Wed, Aug-21-02 02:29

WOW- WHAT A RESPONSE

Hi YALL,

This is great , what a response.

It does actually seem pretty safely low in carbs. Ill check it compared to bread and im sure it will be lower.

Im not too strict with this. (Very dedicated) but not too strict.

Beside iver lost over 2 stone already so ill just monitor my weight and if it goes up - theres the answer!

Hey Lucy, Im gonna look for that Aussie Forum.

Deliah - Thanks for the info!

RCFletcher Sat, Aug-24-02 05:03

Dear aussiemike,

When I need something to spread something on (usually marmite or a little diabetic marmalade,) I cook a quick Scotch pancake. Half a scoup of soya protein powder mixed with an egg, enough cream or water to blend it and a small pinch of baking soda. Fry in butter. It's not crispy but it's only about half a gramme of carbs and much more filling than crispbread.

Try it :)

Regards,
Robert