Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Poll: Best Shake Mixes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=149389)

katlynweb Mon, Nov-17-03 11:52

Poll: Best Shake Mixes

For those who have been LC for awhile, what low carb shake mixes (dry) have you found to be the best..taste-wise and money-wise? I have to "drink" my breakfast quite often and am so tired of paying a fortune for mixes that I can hardly stand to swallow once I try them! Home-made recipes welcome as well! Thanks!! :) Also, I have noted that most of these shakes are quite sweet. Is this a problem during Induction?

DLC Mon, Nov-17-03 18:53

Hi Katelyn, this is the first time I have ever replied to something so I hope that it works. I use the GNC PRO Rx. I am only just starting back on the LC diet. I don't even know if this is a "good" low carb drink or not so I'll be watching any other replies that you get. I work crazy shift work hours and I need to find something that is quick and easy to use.
The pro-rx has
calories 214
protien 35
carbs 20
24 servings per container
cost $45.99

Huskerchic Tue, Nov-18-03 11:34

I like the Atkins Shake mixes. They remind me of McDonald's shakes (especially the Strawberry). An added bonus (which I stumbled on by mistake), if you add ice to the mix when you mix it up it gets so thick you have to use a spoon to eat it. Although, when you do it this way, you have to shake vigorously as opposed to just stirring it w/a spoon.

cac826 Tue, Nov-18-03 11:43

I use Pro Lean Mass from Extreme Labs. I get it from Bodybuilding.com. Not associated with them in any way other than a very happy customer. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/exl/lean.html

calories 200
protein 44
fat 2
carbs 4
fiber 2
servings 30
cost $34.48 including shipping

These amounts are for two scoops of the powder. I only use one mixed with a cup of water or half milk/half water. This is by far the best powder I've found, and I've tried many different brands. The chocolate and vanilla are very tasty. I haven't tried the strawberry. For that i generally just toss 4-5 frozen berries in with the vanilla. Another benefit is it is a protein blend using whey, casien, milk, egg and soy proteins. I prefer protein blends, but that is a personal thing.

The one drawback is that it doesn't mix up as easily as an instantized whey powders. The easy way around this is to use one of those hand/stick blenders. They work very well and are super easy to clean. And if you don't have one, you can get one at Wal-Mart for about $10.

DanG Tue, Nov-18-03 12:57

I know one NOT to get. The Keto shake (Strawberry) is horrible. I hate to just throw it out given what I paid for it ($18), but it is truly un-drinkable.

I had the Atkins mix in my hands today, but couldn't bring myself to spend another $18 without some idea that it was drinkable.

DanG

DanG Tue, Nov-18-03 20:52

Does the Atkins shake mix taste like the Atkins premixed shakes? I like the premixed shakes (Vanilla being the only one I've tried), and would go for the Atkins mix if they taste the same.

Trainerdan Wed, Nov-19-03 04:11

Muscle Milk from CytoPro is good ... They have a bunch of flavors, but I have tried (and liked) the Chocolate Milk flavor and the Banana flavor.

Don't have the nutritional info in front of me, but I think it was 32g protein per serving (2 scoops) and 18g fat. Carbs were low too, I think 10g.

I'm sure you could buy it at Netrition ... follow the banner that's on the screen here somewhere ... Click on any product advertised and it should take you to Netrition. Muscle Milk is under the Drink Mixes section.

surfnmom Wed, Nov-19-03 05:47

I like Carb Solutions, comes in choc. and vanella

3 net carbs per 2 scoops
130 calories

I get it at Wal Mart
cost $8.00 a can with 13 servings

Huskerchic Wed, Nov-19-03 08:12

Dan: IMO, I think the Atkins Shake MIX is better than the ready made shakes. (I LOVED the strawberry mix, but I thought the strawberry ready made had a horrible after taste.) I would "go for it". I think you'll be surprised.

Trainerdan Thu, Nov-20-03 04:28

I'll give them another shot ... I tried cappucino before and it was nasty.

I'll try the other flavors and see. LOL. They're easy enough to find.

Petey Fri, Nov-21-03 04:57

I like the Keto "SOY" shake mix in vanilla . I put it in a blender and it whips up into a thick and tasty shake :yay:
Be careful because there's 2 versions that keto makes: regular and soy. only the soy version tastes good.
the worst I ever tasted was "Vitamin Shop" brand lowcarb shake mix :Puke:

Skyangel Fri, Nov-21-03 19:14

I make my own with Optimum Nutrition 100% whey powder.

3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
2 Tbls. heavy Cream
2 Tbls. Davinci syrup of choice (experiment with different flavor combos)
1 scoop whey powder

if you want it thicker add a pinch of Xanthum gum.
if you mix it in a blender, add ice.

I do mine in a tupperware shaker. Yummy and filling for breakfast or snack.

IwillLose Sat, Feb-14-04 04:33

eew i thought the atkins strawberry shake tasted like pepto bismol. how do you make it less powdery?

Carolie Sun, Feb-22-04 15:37

My favorites are the Atkins shakes mixed with Soy Slender and ice. Makes all the difference over being mixed with water! I hate it with water. TrainerDan, have you tried it this way? The cappucino is great this way!

With the Atkins and Soy Slener vanilla flavors, I started adding Davinci eggnog syrup w/ a splash of nutmeg and O-M-G! It's great plain as well w/ a dash of cinnamon. Will try some other Davinci flavors soon. With the Atkins and Soy Slender cappucino flavors I add a bit more coffee if I have some made for fun and wow! The capp. Soy Slender is also great w/ the choc. Atkins. Don't be afraid to mix and match.

IWillLose, try the strawberry w/ vanilla Soy Slender and ice. I love this one made this way too! Let me know.

Zymi Mon, Feb-23-04 13:46

I used to drink Atkin's chocolate shake powder mix all the time....it was awesome blended with ice and a little cream. Then, they changed the recipe to the spoon-stirrable version...now it tastes grainy and nasty. The strawberry isn't too hot either in my opinion. I'm so sad they changed the shake mix :tears: It tasted like smooth, creamy chocolate pudding before the change..sniff..sniff...hehe