Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Shoud I stay on Induction ? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=100272)

Chloë Mae Mon, Apr-21-03 22:29

Shoud I stay on Induction ?

My first 2 weeks of Induction ended this am. I am down 15 lbs. I didn't cheat one time, but did go over carbs several times. I made some mistakes, like eating nuts, thought I could, and not counting Splenda. All in all it wasn't so bad after the first 4 days. I was really sick coming off sugar/carbs.

Had intense chocolate cravings twice, so started L-glutamine. Tonight I actually cried I wanted some chocolate so bad. I think it is time to start making some recipes for these times. No TOM, over that.

I surely would like to have some strawberries, but I am scared to add anything this soon.

How long did you stay on Induction and did you continue to lose a lot? I would be very happy with a 2-3 lb. loss a week, but have done this long enough to know that is not reality.

Thanks for all the caring and sharing you have given me. It shows in my stats.

LisaLC Tue, Apr-22-03 10:14

Hi Chloe,

I did induction for a month. I have a hard time losing weight because I can't exercise. I also go back into induction when I don't lose for two weeks. It's a personal choice while you are in weight loss.

If you feel the need to up your carbs do it by the book, I went up to fast the first time and gained.

That's what I love about this WOE, you can suit it to your needs.

Congrats on your loss so far! :D

smilyus Tue, Apr-22-03 10:38

One very general guideline is to stop induction after losing 10% of your goal i.e. if your goal is to lose a 100lbs, you would try to lose at least 10lbs before leaving this stage. Also, If you are extremely bored with the food choices in induction, you may want to consider going off of it.

It really is your decision and it depends on your goals and what works best for your lifestyle - Dr. Atkins just recommends that the induction doesn't last more than 6 months so anything under that is fine.

I'm still in induction at the moment (just started) but I will probably go off of induction once I reach the 10% mark since it will be extremely difficult not to eat a little fruit during the warm months.

:spin:

-Smilyus

DWRolfe Tue, Apr-22-03 10:47

I think much of this depends on how much weight you want to lose and how you're adapting to the new foods you're eating. I've done Induction (twice) and I still stay really close to Induction levels because I have so much to lose. I think I'm at about 30-35 carbs per day.

For me, the thing is if I eat lots more carbs (even like 100) I don't really gain weight. But the losing stops dead.

You may want to look in the Atkins forum, because I'm sure you'll find many threads on this subject and much good advice.

Donald :wave:

liz175 Tue, Apr-22-03 10:48

If you are still having cravings, you might want to stay on induction for another week or two until the cravings go away. The purpose of induction is to clean all the carbohydrates out of your system and readjust your blood sugar levels, and if you are still having cravings you may not quite be there yet.

Zora Tue, Apr-22-03 11:43

Hi Chloe Mae. A 15 lb loss? Awesome!! You go girl!! :yay: :clap:
Stick in there and don't succumb to the chocolate cravings. If you get one, do something to take your mind off it. Call a friend, go for a walk, write a letter, something, anything.

I'm in my 8th day of induction and haven't weighed myself yet, but I hope I do as well as you have.

Hang in there! You are on your way to a new you! :)

Chloë Mae Tue, Apr-22-03 12:32

Thanks for the good advice. I still don't understand the 10%. :q:

Some people say 10% of your starting weight which is 36lbs for me. Others say 10% of what you need to lose, which is 21 lbs and still others say 10% of what you want to weigh which is 15 lbs.

Help, which is it? Too confusing and I can't find it in my Atkins book.

I do know that 10% at WW was 10% of your starting weight was the first goal to shoot for.

Tiggerdy Tue, Apr-22-03 14:54

It's 10% of the total weight you wish to lose and then 5% of the remaining weight each month after that. Remember, though, that's just a generic measurement to give some type of guideline to follow.

As for staying on induction... I'm still there, 7 mos. later. I have my 'pauses' and times where I'm frustrated, but I figured w/how much I need to lose, I'd hang out in induction as long as I could. I've added in some foods that aren't allowed on 'strict' induction (first two weeks), but I'm still at the 20g carbs per day. So I guess I'm doing a more 'modified' version of induction. Whatever keeps working. If I do get into what I feel is a stall (longer than one of my 'pauses'), I go back to strict induction to kick start things.

Staying happy is the key to success!

HTH-
Nikki :daizy:

Watchmenow Tue, Apr-22-03 14:54

SUGAR FREE CHOCOLATE

:wave: If you really want some chocolate try some of the sugar free chocolate. Hershey's makes one that is made with sugar alcohol. I don't eat alot of it but it really curbs my craving. Some folks think it encourages more cravings, but not for me. Be careful not to eat too much, there can be side effects....

Stay on induction as long as you can tolerate it....increase your carbs by 5 a week and one food at a time to see if it halts your weight loss.

I have a wonderful sugar-free jello, cream cheese, heavy cream, walnut recipe. You could try adding a chocolate extract to it (omit the sugar free jello)....also adding splenda or liquid saccarin for sweetner and some finely grated bakers chocolate....play around with it....it makes quite a bit and the sugar is minimal and I ate this on induction and continued to lose..

Good luck and be encouraged.... :wave:

maddieb1 Tue, Apr-22-03 14:54

The way I understand it is it is 10% of the amt. you want to lose which in your case would be 21 lbs. (Just going by your stats down to 150 lbs.) Hope that helps. MaddieB1 :wave:

NANCI B Tue, Apr-22-03 15:45

induction

I am 7 months into this WOL and am still on induction..........mostly. I try and keep my carbs around 20 per day. do pretty well most of the time. I stop loosing much above 35. I still have 60 more lbs to go so I will keep my carbs about 20 until I get closer to my goal. I feel great!!!

Congrats on the big 12 lbs gone. Keep your carbs down and those pesky cravings will disappear....... just like fat. :)

keep up the good work.

Nanci

msredd Wed, Apr-23-03 09:18

I have been on the Atkins' Diet for 2 and 1/2 months and I have kept my carb intake between 20 - 25g daily. It seems to work for me. If I have a sugar craving, I have an Atkins Endulge Bar, or Carbolite Bar, or sugar-free Jello. I tried to do things to keep my mind off of it, but it just makes me want it even more. Once I have had ONE of these things, my craving goes away.

Congratulations on your weightloss, and I hope you find something that works for you. :cool:

Redd

celtinore Wed, Apr-23-03 15:49

Quote:
Had intense chocolate cravings twice, so started L-glutamine. Tonight I actually cried I wanted some chocolate so bad.

I've found that the Chocolate Fudge lo-carb shakes by EAS Advant-Edge are really good and satisfy my chocolate cravings. We buy ours at Wal-Mart. I like them because (a) they're good, and (b) they contain no sugar alcohols, which (I learned the hard way) puts me into a stall. :)