Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   9 days of Induction - Results (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=87311)

evil elder Mon, Feb-17-03 18:38

9 days of Induction - Results

I started atkins on 2/8/03

My weight when I started was 248, my first goal is 225.
I am presently weighing 235 after 9 days.

I average 6 carbs a day, lots of sugar free lemonade, steak, hamburger, bacon, some salads...

Have hard time drinking all the water. At best I do 30% of it.

Has anyone had these good of results. I am starting to learn more about the ratio of protein to fat and carbs...

Atlanta

Ruralgurl Mon, Feb-17-03 18:47

Wow! Great results, good for you Evil Elder!
Keep up the good work, don't worry about boosting your carbs somewhat too! I think to around 20 carbs at least is recommended!
See you around :wave:

loril65 Mon, Feb-17-03 18:55

Great job Evil!!!

I am curious, what is your fat intake like?

red1cutie Mon, Feb-17-03 19:31

Congrats Evil! Great job. I start after my physical. Can you give us your food journal for the time you have been on it please?

red :wave:

evil elder Mon, Feb-17-03 21:24

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

This is my usual diet

Breakfast: 6 bacon, sugar free lemonade

Lunch: 1/4 Broiled 80/20 hamburger, one slice american cheese, sugar free country time lemonade

Dinner: 8oz New York Strip Steak, table spoon worchester sauce "French's", sugar free country time lemonade

snack: sugar free jello with Whip creme.

I eat about 2 salads a week, some yellow squash, some green beans during the week.

evil elder Mon, Feb-17-03 22:21

Forgot,

For Breakfast, I either eat bacon, or 3-4 boiled eggs "yokes only"

summer*rai Tue, Feb-18-03 09:46

CONGRATULATIONS

Yes...Your doing great....You've pushed through the crowd and your own your way...I found the hardes time for me on Atkins was the first 10 days....after that...It's been fairly easy...They say it takes somewhere around 30 days to change a habit...I think this is correct?....so keep up the good work...Use the journal and this site when you find your days difficult...Posting when I'm tempted to eat something is really helping...When you want to eat, come here and help someone else, give the courage to keep going...We're in a war together...A war to fight our inner demons and to help others conquer theirs... :)

liz175 Tue, Feb-18-03 09:51

You are doing wonderfully well with your weight loss, but remember that the goal is to get healthy, not just to lose weight. Two salads a week, plus some occasional squash and green beans, is not enough vegetables. You don't want to get weak and worn out doing this -- you should get stronger and healthier. Can you add some more salads and veggies to your meal plans?

evil elder Tue, Feb-18-03 10:10

Hello Team,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to the grocery store to get more salads. I know I need more...

I saw at the store a package of stir fry vegetables, about a pound. It had yellow squash, red peppers, cucumbers, snow peas, and brocoli. Would this be okay to eat...all of it?
It looked great.

I used to drink 4 cans of coke a day and lots of peanut butter nad breads. I no longer miss the cokes. I do miss the peanut butter.
:(

Doomy Sat, Feb-21-04 15:56

You can eat fiber carb, so peanut butter is good (always in moderation), just get the net carb before buying it. You should be able to use peanut butter ok.

BTW: What's special about lemonade ?

black57 Sat, Feb-21-04 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil elder
Hello Team,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to the grocery store to get more salads. I know I need more...

I saw at the store a package of stir fry vegetables, about a pound. It had yellow squash, red peppers, cucumbers, snow peas, and brocoli. Would this be okay to eat...all of it?
It looked great.

I used to drink 4 cans of coke a day and lots of peanut butter nad breads. I no longer miss the cokes. I do miss the peanut butter.
:(

I would like to add that, when you eat salads avoid the iceburg lettuce. It is nutritionless, Use romaine or any other lettuce. The stir fried veggies sound good but check the package. There might be starch or sugar added. Since I have been low carbing, all of my veggies ( and I buy a large variety of them )
have been from the produce aisle. Since I cut down on fruit, I increased my vegetables. On induction, I ate fresh asparagus with my scrambled eggs and cheese for breakfast. I added red, yellow and orange bell peppers in my salads and cooking for added vitamin C. I introduced cooked greens to my family ( mustard, collard, turnips, chard etc ), thereby connecting my family to my roots. These greens are a part of Southern cooking that I grew up on. I eat squash, cauliflower and brocolli. Brussel sprouts are gross but that doesn't mean that I won't add them from time to time. We also eat turnip roots and daikon radishes.

American cheese has more carbs than the regular, unprocessed cheeses like colby or Swiss. There is peanut butter that is unsweetened.

MaryToU Sat, Feb-21-04 18:00

Bacon with lemonade? Well its not my cup of tea, but if it works for you. I wont even give you the speach on how important those veggies are. Being one who does not get in much myself. Another good way to get fiber in is with nuts. Maybe a handful ever day.

LoveSong Sun, Feb-22-04 15:38

Hi and welcome:)

Altho they are allowed later on Atkins, neither peanuts nor peanut butter are for induction. Also, I can't emphasize enough the importance of drinking the minimum 8--8 ounce glasses of water per day. Especially if you want your weight loss to continue, (even tho it won't continue as fast as you started)--it WILL continue if you follow the plan correctly.

And that means eating vegetables, plenty of fat, and drinking your water! The reason for induction is to break our addictions to sugar, flour, etc. If you continue to eat/drink things that are sweet (even SF lemonade) it isn't going to help you break the addictions.

Atkins is about learning to eat in a healthy manner, and that means eating as few processed foods as possible. Fresh meat, eggs, VEGETABLES, with plenty of olive oil, butter and mayo.

Perhaps reading through the book again to refresh your memory about the induction rules would be helpful to you too!

Good luck!

~Debbie~LoveSong~ ;)

Kathy54 Sun, Feb-22-04 17:04

O.K. I'm with Liz, here, 6 carbs???? Sorry that is not Atkins! Have you read the book?? If you have been on this for that long eating only 6 carbs a day and a bit of salad, That sort of thing is what gives the low carb diets a bad rap from the public and most Dr. and rightly so, it's not healthy.
I'm not Blasting you just getting a point across,it is great that you have lost the weight, but I can't help thinking some how your body is going to pay for the lack of veggies /fruit/grains, that should be reintroduced If you are following Atkins.

How about updated your stats on the profile, it'a a bit confusing :)

Cheers Kathy

red1cutie Sun, Feb-22-04 17:19

Guys, that post is from 2003(approx 1 yr ago). I remember her. Evil has left the building long ago (well not long but October 2003) but original post from Feb 2003.

red