Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Married with kids & Cooking 2 menus? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=111786)

sheas31 Fri, Jun-06-03 15:03

Married with kids & Cooking 2 menus?

It's bad enough I have to fugure out things I can eat ..But hubby & kids want what they call "regular" food. where did I get these people from? I guess I'm just venting ..just so tired of making 2 meals one for them & then my food...Since I've been lc I've been making them eat better less junk in the house (sigh) is any one else feeling my pain? Then sometimes They eat my low carb stufff ..or mom can I taste that and eating it all..But if I cook them what I'm eating they dont want it ..... :rolleyes:

Lisa N Fri, Jun-06-03 15:09

I really didn't change the way I cooked much when I started low carb. I still cooked the same meat, veggies and a carby side dish for everyone else. I ate the meat and veggies and they got the rest. We never were big on corn and peas at our house and were already eating mostly low or lower carb veggies such as green beans, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, and salads. Now after two years, I pretty much have everyone trained to eat pretty much the same meals I do. The kids still get higher carb treats such as chips and fruit as well as yogurt and cheese and I allow them to have 1 bag of cereal of their choice a month. The rest of the time they eat eggs, oatmeal or toast for breakfast.

lbiessen Fri, Jun-06-03 15:10

I always cook a meat dish and extras (macaroni and cheese, potatoes) and have salad. Server everyone the above and myself just the meat dish and salad.

Breakfast, eggs, bacon and toast - just don't eat the toast.

Barbeque and fix the side dishes, just don't eat them.

Its a little tempting sometimes, but no matter where we are we have to have will power. :wave:

Iowagirl Fri, Jun-06-03 15:12

Me, too. I've found we can generally share the main dish and I make an alternate side. If I've planned something I know they absolutely won't eat, I make my dinner first and eat it so I am not tempted when making the evil fare.

atiaran Fri, Jun-06-03 15:14

I feel your pain, lol. I try to stick to simple menus. So I'll do a main meat dish that everyone can have, and a side such as mac & cheese or potatoes for them, while I have a salad or broccoli or other low carb veggie. Twice a week we'll go out to eat so it's easier those nights. If they want a taste of something, I'll give it to them but no way do they get more than that unless I made a huge batch. A lot of times I find that if you don't tell them it's low carb they'll just eat it without question. Kids tend to automatically dislike something if there's a stated difference.

Every once in a while if there's a lot of complaining, I just tell them they can have what I fixed or make their own dinner. That usually shuts them up and they eat it, or they make a peanut butter/jelly sandwich.

Lessara Fri, Jun-06-03 15:17

The stuff I do...

I will be honest, I try to get my whole home to low carb but I'm the only one doing it Atkins. My children pretty much do the CAD way. They eat whatever they want at lunchtime. But breakfast and dinner is low carb. My roommate eats whatever he wants for breakfast and lunch. The only problem I have, is my son is deep into Carb addiction all he wants to eat is fruit, bread, and cereal.
So I'm working with that.

moonfairy Fri, Jun-06-03 15:18

I have this problem....except my husband usually ends up taking all my steak...I just have to remind him that he gets rice and bread with his ....feeding my daughter grapes and bananas the other day I could almost not control myself...my mouth was watering for some fruit...sorry I am just going on and on...

Lisa N Fri, Jun-06-03 15:19

Quote:
Every once in a while if there's a lot of complaining, I just tell them they can have what I fixed or make their own dinner. That usually shuts them up and they eat it, or they make a peanut butter/jelly sandwich.

I'm with you. The rule at my house is "you have two choices for dinner. Take it or leave it. If you don't like what's on the table, there's always peanut butter, bread and jelly, but don't expect me to make it for you."
I don't go out of my way to make things that I know everyone else hates, but for the most part everyone at my house likes the same things I do. The only differences are that there are a few veggies that one daughter doesn't care for and the rest of us do such as mushrooms, spinach and asparagus. On nights that I serve those, I also serve an alternate veggie.

LadyBelle Fri, Jun-06-03 15:30

I'm trying tocut down on my son's sugar and white flour intake. He gets what ever fruits he wants, but instead of always having PB samwiches I'll give him peanut butter on cheese, or string cheese ect. I also limit his treats and have splenda sweetened ones.

For meals I got sick of no one eating my cooking. SO would eat at work, ds is too picky. So now I cook for just me. Alot of the time my son will see me cooking and ask for an egg or what ever I'm having. It must be better when he's not told to eat. If we have a family dinner they get a healthy side dish thats carby, while I behave.

Or if we go out to eat I give my son the carbyside dishes. No temptation then.

Coriolis Fri, Jun-06-03 15:34

Being the cook in my family, I do feel your pain. For the first week it was hellish and disorganized... but it eventually worked out by making my dinner plan fit their dinner plan better. In other words, getting my eggs and other fatty stuff in at lunch and snacks during the day while at work.

My kids are wonderful vegetable eaters (it's all in the cooking, I tell ya!) so that's not a problem. So we eat the same veggies and meat, the only different in our plates is theirs has rice or pasta and mine has a big romaine salad.

Works fine! :)

whyspers Fri, Jun-06-03 19:31

Try cooking for three different eating styles...lol

My hubby and I both low carb. My two youngest children eat like 99% of the rest of America and my middle daughter has been vegetarian for two years! My grocery bill is astronomical, but I have to confess, I cook for me and hubby. The younger two and the oldest eat what I fix and for the rest of their food fend for themselves. My vegetarian often ends up fending for herself.

L

Mandyjane2 Fri, Jun-06-03 20:42

My husband isn't lc'ing but he and my son both eat the meat that I fix and I'll fix something like mashed potatoes or mac n cheese or something along that line to go with theirs. That way, the whole menu doesn't change, just part of it. I found this MUCH easier than fixing 2 completely different meals.

ANewMe Fri, Jun-06-03 20:42

its not too bad in my house, im still cooking what my husband and daughter eat everynight, meat, veggie and carb sidedish.
So i usually eat the meat, and the veggie.. no biggie.. Its so tempting to have just a little taste of the pasta sidedish, or potato! but I dont..

sinnat Mon, Jun-09-03 13:50

I'm not sure why you are doing that......for dinner you usually have meat.....if you fry theirs, just bake yours........if they get rice, steam you some vegi's or make a salad. You are going to wear yourself out doing it like that. Try to work it out. All of my family are very fit....Hubby is 5'5" 150 lbs.....daughter is 5'3' 121lbs and my son is 4'11" 105lbs. And here I sit at 190lbs...it's funny though....when we go shopping my daughter is starting to look at the carbs now. Just talk to your family, they will understand.

best of luck ;)
sinnat

Birddog Mon, Jun-09-03 14:25

I still cook meals like I always have. I just eat the meat and veggies or salad. They eat the rest. Sometimes because I have lots of pre-made foods I make their dinner and only need to warm mine.