Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What supplements really help? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=155520)

judyr Fri, Dec-26-03 19:41

What supplements really help?

I currently take a vitamin pack for diabetics with a vitamin, chrominum picolinate, selenium, vitamin C and alpha Lipoic Acid. I also have recently started taking Co Q10 and Flax seed oil capules. I am considering adding L-carnitine and calcium. My fitday shows a consistant shortage of calcium. What are others taking. Has it helped with stalls? Supplements are so expensive that I want to add the most useful ones first.

rice_boi Fri, Dec-26-03 21:31

this isn't really a supplement, but may i suggest sugar-free soy milk? it's soooooo good with some whey protein mixed in :)

Happygem Sat, Dec-27-03 14:12

vitamins

As a dibaetic you should be taking your Magnesium, which also helps you digest Calcium better. Try CalMag, its Calcium and Magnesium in one. Have you read Protein Power? Eades talks a lot about the benefits of CalMag. I know all these vitamins add up price wise, but after a few weeks of taking them you will really see a marked improvement in you overall health. Good Luck!

LadyBelle Sat, Dec-27-03 18:37

For weight loss what I think helps is green tea extract. It's much cheaper to buy the plain old extract from walmart then all the expencive diet pills that contain it (main ingredient in Atkins Accel).

Pottasium is really helpful for any kinds of muscle cramps.

I take creatine and CQ-10 like recomended, but I don't know if they really help. CLA seems to be good, but it's one of the more expencive ones.

When pricing suppliments be sure to look at serving size. Some require you to take 4-5 pills at a time. AFter a bit that really adds up and makes the large bottle look like a much worse deal then origionaly thought :)

judyr Sat, Dec-27-03 23:41

Thanks to all. I have added the calmag, but I can't find the green tea extract. The guy at walmart had no idea what I was taling about. He sent to the baking section. It wasn't there. Where do I look?

Birddog Sun, Dec-28-03 10:41

Vitamins galore

I take a boat load of vitamins. They are Calcium, Magnisium, Potassium, flax seed oil w/ omega 3, PABA, CO Q 10, L-Carnitine, L-Glutamine, Vitamin B and Atkins Basic 3. The first three are for severe leg cramps. Does it work? I still get leg cramps but they do seem less frequent. As for the rest. I guess they are helping. I just remember from Dr. A's book on how important supplements are. I hope this helped.

gerriz Sun, Dec-28-03 10:59

I take Atkins Basic 3, B-Complex, Vitamin C, Calcium, Potassium, Flax Seed Oil. Leg cramps, which seem to be the norm with this wol have really lessened since adding Potassium. I take 3-4 a day.

black57 Sun, Dec-28-03 12:40

Be aware!!!Vitamin D helps the body to absorb calcium. If you have a calcium deficiency after taking calcium supps, first, take vitamin D and go from there. Do you drink caffeine? Caffeine tends to deplete the body of important nutrients. If you want to hang on to the caffeine, just make sure that it is an hour before or after you take the supps.

Other Thoughts; Vitamin C helps the body to absorb iron so if your iron is too high, you might want to reduce the vitamin C.

LadyBelle Sun, Dec-28-03 12:54

The green tea extract is in the pharmacy with other vitamins. Look around where there is grapefruit extract, St. Johns wort and the other herbals. If the guy directed you to baking, he definetly should not be working in pharmacy :P It wasn't a pharmacist was it?