Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Breakfast sucks! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=163674)

candyapple Sat, Jan-31-04 12:39

Breakfast sucks!

For days now I've been having trouble. If I eat one more egg, I'll give up alltogether. The mock french toast is too filling and strong, I'll save it for desperate days. I'm not the type of person who can eat meat or salads in the a.m., I am a good old fashioned big breakfast girl and my problem is I haven't been so hungry for breakfast so Ive hardly eaten. Id rather skip breakfast than eat another egg or yucky soy concoction like the spongy atkins pancake I had yesterday. I seriously almost gagged.

I guess my problem is I find myself a bit stuck since I lost my appetite for breakfast. Can this harm me if I dont eat? Can I just have one slice of low carb bread from Natures Own or something? I'm guessing NO but I am going to stay on induction for at least another 20 pounds are gone so I need to know if I can sneak in a few slices of toast a week as long as I stay in my 20 carb range.
I've been cheat free for 12 days and plan on continuing... I just need support from those who have been here longer and a re wiser and more experienced. I'm sure some of you have come up with a strategy that satisfies you and keeps you cheat free. Suggest away.... I still have not eaten anything today!

Thanks guys, really!!!!!
Terry :(

Anilam Sat, Jan-31-04 12:45

Can you just try an Atkins shake if you are not hungry? I'm not sure if this is the answer, hopefully the pros can help you since I'm fairly new. Good luck!

StarOrchid Sat, Jan-31-04 12:47

You don't have to have "traditional" foods for breakfast. Have some leftovers instead! Have some celery with natural peanut butter, a deli meat roll up, basically any of the approved foods. I, myself, hate plain eggs and only use them in recipes. Also, though breakfast is important; I rarely have it and am losing weight fine.

allibaba Sat, Jan-31-04 12:48

Try making a smoothie or the new LC yogurts. I just made a batch of Atkins Banana Nut Muffins and I made then as mini muffins instead. I like them with butter on them and have them with a couple of pieces of bacon. Check out the breakfast section in the kitchen area, there are some great suggestions there.

Alli

icklemiss Sat, Jan-31-04 12:49

Candyapple - once you have done the 2 week induction, you can move on to what quite a few people with a lot of weight to lose are doing; a semi OWL plan, keeping your carbs at 20g - 25g for quite a few weeks but eating the extras that you are allowed on OWL like nuts and LC foods.

Also - the latest Atkins book I have (while not recommended by many people due to stalls) says you can have some LC breads on induction as well as the other phases of Atkins

candyapple Sat, Jan-31-04 13:05

Its nice when people respond so quick. I needed to vent so badly, I'm not getting much support at home from darling hubby. Last night he was teasing me with oreo cookies. Since I didnt have much of an appetite earlier in the day I asked him to take me out at least I'd have a burger or something right? Well we finally left the house at 9:30 pm and that for me is a big no-no. I hate eating late on Atkins, especially when I don't trust the ingredients as much. But you know what? That will teach him because I lost a pound! he, he, he.

Just worried because on atkins I eat fat, and when Im not eating I become afraid that starvation mode will kick in and absorb all the fat. I will have a shake even though I want the "Carb Options" peanut butter I bought. Peanuts stalled me last time I did Atkins. But oh how I want that peanut butter.......

I dont know if any of you understand me. I dont mind a stall as long as I dont ingest bad carbs. I want to see the scale go down and Im not in a major rush. I just cant bear for it to go up. Thanks for your responses. You are all heaven sent.

Terry

pookiejay Sat, Jan-31-04 13:07

Breakfast is a tough one I think, If I do not have enough time in the morning to make bacon and eggs, (and yes, I have days were I cannot eat another egg!) I have a "strive" LC Bar (to me they are more like granola bars) or I will eat the Atkins Morning Start cereal, using cream instead of milk. Most of the time I just eat a really small amount of it and I am good to go. I am still losing weight and it has helped me not stray at all from what I am suppose to eat.

candyapple Sat, Jan-31-04 13:13

I love anything granola or similar. Can you tell me where to find the "strive" bars?
Thanks

pookiejay Sat, Jan-31-04 13:18

You are right, it is hard when your significant other is not supportive of the decision you have made by trying to help you as much as possible. Mine has leaned the longer I have been doing LC that tempting me with foods is not being "supportive." He has actually gone as far as to not eating (foods that he knows I love) in front of me in order to make things easier. All that to say, I think in time the people around you learn to help you with the lifestyle you have chosen. Especially when they see how happy it makes you. I hope your day gets better!

SweetPea00 Sat, Jan-31-04 13:20

I'm hardly ever hungry in the mornings, but I know better not to skip meals, so I ether have a handful of nuts or an atkins shake. that's about it for breakfast. I don't eat eggs for breakfast anymore although I still love them, but later on in the day.

pookiejay Sat, Jan-31-04 13:30

Yes, You can find them at a Fred Meyer, or Trader Joe's if you have one where you live. They are crunchy like granola. My favorite kind is the chocolate raspberry. I was fist skeptical when I tried them because chocolate raspberry sounds more like a power bar flavor, but it does not taste like a "power" bar at all. I have found that many grocery stores carry things just like them, at this time I do not remember what the other "brand" names are? I am sure some of the other members would be able to help with that.

Wenzday Sat, Jan-31-04 14:01

I have been thinking about trying the Atkins cereal bars..I bet I would be eating them if I worked outside the house for sure!

I tend to eat bacon or sausage and sometimes a Mock Danish...because it doesnt taste like an egg! YUMMY

cheeze Sat, Jan-31-04 14:13

I've had Atkins country white bread toasted with cream cheese for breakfast almost every morning for 9 months and still lost weight so I guess it just depends YMMV.

Jeanne Sch Sat, Jan-31-04 14:28

Hi Candyapple:
I read most of the posts and I don't think the question you asked was answered. YES, you can harm yourself if you just skip breakfast. Your pancreas will start shooting out insulin and you may risk leaving ketosis.
BREAKFAST OPTIONS:
I alternate between eggs and ground flaxseed cereal. You can buy ground flaxseed at most health food stores. The ONLY caution I have about the flaxseed is try a few tablespoons first with something like Carb Countdown milk and don't let the cereal sit around - will get um....gooey, mooshy, that sort of thing. I always eat small amounts at a time so it doesn't get weird - tastes great too! :)

OLD FASHIONED or ORGANIC PEANUT BUTTER will have NO hydrogenated oils or sugar. Just Peanuts and Oil will be on the ingredient list.

I haven't tried any but I've seen low carb breakfast cereals by Atkins and other companies at the store recently. I won't pay the outrageous money for them (ground flaxseed should only run you about $2.00 or $3.00 a lb).
HTH :)

BlitzedAng Sat, Jan-31-04 14:33

I felt the same exact way then. Like I was going to grow feathers and start clucking.. So I also posted here and great feedback on how to mix and match items to livin up my breakfast. MAN it saved me.