Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Newbie Induction Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=82457)

Rosalie Mon, Jan-27-03 04:25

Newbie Induction Questions

Hi,

I am a refugee from the Zone diet where I had weight loss success (6 yrs ago!)but found it waay too complicated for me. The weight has crept back on. The first week of January I attempted to start Atkins but succumbed to debilitating headaches. I re-started January 23 and while I know that it is soon into the regime I am feeling awful; major headache, and can't stay awake. I am not at all hungry. I'm thinking that my headache may be due to insufficient caloric intake, and caffeine withdrawal, so I am having some success with eating when I am not hungry and drinking one cup of regular tea. This has eased the headache considerably but I still can't stay awake. Looking for advice.

Rosalie

TeriDoodle Mon, Jan-27-03 05:58

Hi....sorry you're having so much trouble :(

You're right in the thick of carb and caffeine withdrawal and these symptoms should dissipate in a couple of days. A couple of suggestions for you: instead of withdrawing "cold turkey" on the caffeine, try weaning yourself off over a few days or weeks. Make sure you're drinking your water, 64 oz minimum . Be faithful in taking your vitamins: a good multivitamin, a calcium-magnesium supplement and 400mg of potassium every day. (Note: do not supplement w/ potassium if you're taking meds for the treatment of high blood pressure.) Oh, and do make sure you're getting adequate calories.... no fewer than ~1350 for sure!

Hang in there...this is tough to go through....but it'll be over soon and you'll be feeling like a brand new person!

Paleoanth Mon, Jan-27-03 06:28

I totally agree with Terri. What you are going through is normal. Withdrawl from carbs and caffine is no fun. I went through a few days where I felt weak and tired. It does pass. I didn't even try to give up caffine!

Paleoanth

Rosalie Mon, Jan-27-03 07:42

Wow! What a friendly place this is! :)

Thank you, Teri and Paleoanth, for your advice. It helps to know that this is normal and temporary. I think I can work through the fatigue and minor headaches if it is a matter of a week or two. I definitely did not want to experience this kind of fatigue and headache as a way of life. I really appreciate the encouragement!

TeriDoodle Mon, Jan-27-03 08:26

Quote:
I definitely did not want to experience this kind of fatigue and headache as a way of life.
Gosh, no, Rosalie!! I feel better than I have in my entire life!!! Just hang in there.... I promise you'll see why we're so enthusiastic very soon! :D

inspire Tue, Jan-28-03 02:25

Cheer up

I am very prone to migranes and was immensely worried when I got onto Atkins. I had a bad headache on day 2 and that was IT. After that its been fabulous.

If it continues to be a problem then get off and cut carbs down slowly ( I did that for 2 months and the change over was easy) Also, water is key ..keeep drinking.

Take care...it will work out!

Rosalie Tue, Jan-28-03 09:23

Thanks, Inspire!

Your post is encouraging - so nice to hear from someone who has BTDT!

Today is much better - headache seems to be gone, and although I slept too much, so far I am not dragging today. I have started keeping track online of my food so that should help me fine tune. Just have to get thru son's birthday dinner tonight w/o having cake!