Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Question about peanut butter (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=100509)

Crimson Tue, Apr-22-03 22:47

Question about peanut butter

Okay.. I've been reading the labels, and I just can't make sense of it. I've looked at all different brands, and Skippy regular peanut butter seems to have the lowest amount of carbs (2.4 grams per tbsp) but it also has <u>sugar</u> added. The brands that claim no sugar, no salt added, the "all natural", are over 5g carbs per tbsp. Am I missing something? How can a brand with sugar added (granted its icing sugar, but it's still sugar) have less carbs than the "all natural" stuff. :rolleyes:

anyone?

faeriegirl Tue, Apr-22-03 23:08

Hey Crimson,
I bought Adams peanut butter, which is all natural. It is 4.6g. for 2 tbsp. so it is still better in the long run :) When i was looking for PB, i got confused too, because i just assumed that it was all 1 tbsp. servings - but sometimes they like to screw you up, and change the amount!! :) I think the rule with anything - it is probably better to get a slightly higher carb count from something that is natural and unprocessed than something that has a lot of fillers. Added bonus: you can get the Adams PB at any grocery store. (unfortunatly, you have to keep it in the fridge once it is opened, which can make for tough spreading :) )
Take care :)

gotbeer Tue, Apr-22-03 23:38

"Simply Jif" has 1/3 third less sugar than regular "Jif", and fits nicely into my eating habits. (I use it for breakfast and quick snacks.)

What do you eat it on? asked a friend.

A spoon, I answered.

Whole Foods' brand Almond butter, a bit crunchy, is a nice variation.

If you drink a hot tea or other warm drink with these, the gummy character is reduced a lot.

My favorite b'fast = almond butter, and banana-flavored Yerba Mate tea. Just like Elvis, only healthy. :daze:

jeanyyy Wed, Apr-23-03 00:25

I bought Kraft No Sugar No Salt Added here in town. 2.1 carbs per 1 Tbsp.

cc48510 Wed, Apr-23-03 00:45

I think I saw a Peanut Butter at Albertsons (on the aisle with the Atkins products) that was something like 2-3g.

teddi-4 Wed, Apr-23-03 05:39

Peanut Butter

I have a Vita Mix so I think I will just make my own peanut butter... just peanuts.
But, what are you having your PB on? English muffins are out.

jeanyyy Wed, Apr-23-03 08:43

Celery?

cz913 Wed, Apr-23-03 09:05

I bought an all natural brand (can't remember the name) that I found in the refrigerated section near the eggs that has 5 carbs (3 grams of that is fiber) for a serving size of 2 tablespoons.

Crimson Wed, Apr-23-03 09:37

I like it straight off the spoon. I grew up on peanut butter sandwiches (hated deli meats), so it's something I'm glad I haven't had to give up.

I haven't come across the Kraft one... I've gone to Superstore, Safeway, and Urban Fare, but I haven't had much luck finding anything that's all natural and also low carb. I still can't figure out how something with sugar has less carbs than something that is non-processed, and I did check the serving size. :confused:

redawn Wed, Apr-23-03 09:44

50/50 jelly and teddy bear all natural no sugar added peanut butter. . .nice tablespoon of each in a custard cup. . .eat with spoon. . .little jelly and little peanut butter on each bite. . .imagine chewing bread too. . .almost fools me. redawn:)

AmyTN Wed, Apr-23-03 10:17

I use Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter, located by the "normal" peanut butters & jellies in the grocery store. It contains 5g net carbs per 2tbsp serving. It's ingredients- peanuts & salt. Again like the others it must be kept in the fridge after opening, & stirred so it doesn't separate. To make spreading easier, I take it out of the fridge for about 15 min before using. Good stuff! A lot of the "normal" peanut butters also contain hydrogenated oils which is bad without even factoring in the added sugar & chemicals.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne

S_Hysmith Wed, Apr-23-03 10:36

Trader Joe's Organic has 2g per 2tbsp serving.

I eat it on flax muffins, celery, LC tortillas, ...

cc48510 Wed, Apr-23-03 11:30

I just checked on that one I thought I saw. It is:

Total Carbs -- 6g
Fiber -- 2g
Sorbitol -- 2g
Sugars -- <1g

Since it contains Sugar Alcohols...you should make your own decision on whether to count it as 2g or 4g per 2 tbsp. It is $4.99/bottle. You can get regular PB with 4g-5g net for alot less.

They also had Soy Bean Butter. The Sweetened bottles were 10g Carbs. Yikes !!! But, the unsweetened ones read:

Total Carbs -- 5g
Fiber -- 5g
Sugars -- <1g

So, in effect it has less than 1g of Carbs per 2 tbsp. But, it is almost $6/bottle...which is way too much.

faeriegirl Wed, Apr-23-03 12:01

But wouldn't the Adams peanut butter still be less carbs per tbsp than the skippy? It has 2.3g (and a half) carbs per tbsp. and on the ingredients list, it just says this: Peanuts. So at least you know what you are getting :)

erbadger Wed, Apr-23-03 12:51

1 carb PB!!

There is some soy nut butter (SF) that is 5-4 carbs. Its from I.M. Healthy (made me laugh!) I havent tried it as it was $5/ jar. I found it in the health food dept of my grocery store. Wow, 1 carb for PB!!!!!