Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Are you eating Yogurt? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=121129)

jennifer28 Tue, Jul-08-03 05:30

Are you eating Yogurt?

I have read alot abt this eating yogurt and it only being 4 carbs.I have started eating it and love it!!!!!!!It has been a great summer time treat for me.I started induction again and ate a yogurt this morning,I am pretty sure i should have not ate it but you know how things are.Anyway i would like to hear what you all think abt this yogurt thing :)

di52 Tue, Jul-08-03 05:41

Hi Jennifer - I eat yoghurt a couple of times a week. I use the plain, whole milk kind and add frozen blueberries - let them thaw while in the yoghurt. Some people add a little splenda, but I like it just like that. I hear it's really good for you, fairly low carb and we get our calcium.
Diane

justcindy Tue, Jul-08-03 06:40

Oohhh yogurt......boy it has been forever since I had any! I am waiting til I am halfway to goal to add any new foods but yogurt will definitely be one of them!!!!!

yvonne326 Tue, Jul-08-03 09:37

I was eating yogurt last year during OWL....my weight loss slowed down tremendously. I tried eating yogurt again recently, knocked me right out of ketosis and gave me terrible cramping (lactose intolerance?). I ate Dannon Whole Milk plain yogurt with a splash of DiVinci Peach syrup. I know its not the syrup cause I've had it on other things. I wish I could eat yogurt :(

Iluv2cook Tue, Jul-08-03 10:17

I was careful to measure how much yogurt I was eating during OWL. But now that I am in maintenance I don't have to be so careful.

The kind I eat here (in Holland) is fat-free and artificially sweetened. With 4 gm carbs per 3 1/2 oz.

LadyBelle Tue, Jul-08-03 10:24

The Danon yogurt only lists 1 active culture, though it may have more it's not listing. To get the benifits of the lactose eating bacterias, try to find one that has at least 3 live bacterias. I found a brand called Mountain High at Albertsons which is really good. Some people just can't eat yogurt too, but try getting a more lively one before giving up totaly :)

I eat 1/2 cup yogurt every day (except for the enxt week as I'm moving and not shopping for food till after). If anything I think my weight loss has sped up isntead of stalled. I was mixing it in things when I had an organic nonfat kind because the taste was so acidic. Since switching to the Mountain High which has more fat I've found I don't need to add anything, it tastes great. Maybe if I hadn't had the nastier stuff ebfore it wouldn't taste as good *g*

I've also found that it doesn't irritate my lactose intolerence. It is about the only dairy besides a small amount of cream cheese occasionaly. I eat it at breakfast as that is my lowest carb meal, so my carbs are more spaced through out the day and I have more chance of burning them. I've also found it makes a good substatution in recipes that call for cream.

Jannie Tue, Jul-08-03 10:32

I too missed yogurt, and started eating it again recently. I mix in some fresh berries and Splenda-and it's VERY yummy! I use the Dannon all natural, full-fat kind. :cool: :cool: :cool:

acohn Tue, Jul-08-03 10:41

Lucky me -- I have no problems with dairy products of any kind. I have full-fat dairy almost daily: yogurt when it's hot, cocoa when it's cold.

Kathy54 Tue, Jul-08-03 10:56

Yes I too eat it all the time, but always a good brand,Natural and full fat plain, then add my fruit or N/S jam, sometimes both. It has never bothered but W.L.

I have also made my own from 2% milk.

Sometimes I add just 1-2 tbsp of cottage cheese to it.

Cheers Kathy