Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Peanut Butter (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=33184)

moonmist Wed, Feb-06-02 23:56

Peanut Butter

i usually have 1-2 tablespoons of creamy Skippy peanutbutter everyday, it gets rid of my slight sweet tooth in the morning. I've been doing this for about a week now. But anyway, will this effect me a lot? although it fits into the amount of carbohydrates i can have daily but i've read that different carbs affect you in different ways... so?? :) :confused:

doreen T Thu, Feb-07-02 00:51

hi moonmist,

Only you will know for sure if the peanut butter is going to cause a problem. As long as you're accounting for the carbs in it, and not going over your daily CCL .. since you're months past Induction... then it's probably ok. If you're getting stalled out, and otherwise doing everything right, then my vote would be to cut it out. Do be aware of any cravings it may cause. Nuts, especially peanuts, can be very addictive.

A better option would be natural peanut butter, which has no sugar added. And no partially hydrogenated transfat. Read that Skippy label ;).

For a different taste, you might enjoy some other nut butter .. almond and hazelnut are delicious. Natural and sugar-free of course.

Doreen

murpel Thu, Feb-07-02 01:36

Thanks Doreen

I couldn't figure out how come I couldn't stop once I started eating pistacheos. Now I know. I have given them up as of today as I believe they were a partial cause to my stall.
I knew I was eating them as if I was addicted, I just wasn't sure if it was because I ate them that way pre lc or not.
Thank you,
when the light dawns, it's brilliant!!!
Murp

ruby Thu, Feb-07-02 10:19

Peanut butter

Hi,
Just a thought. Years ago I was on a restricted low fat diet. I always craved peanut butter. A dietician told me that that is usually a good sign that you're not getting enough protein. You might want to check your daily protein counts. There's a thread by Nat that explains it all.

Bye
Ruby :)

Jo-Ann 2 Sat, Feb-09-02 15:30

Nuts

Moonmist if you can stop at 1-2 tblsp, than you may be one of the lucky ones. I myself have had to give up nuts and substitute sweetners, they send me down the road of distruction. I hope that I may be able to incorporate them back into recipes someday, but right now they make me stall.
Jo-Ann
Congradulations on your stat's they look great.

murpel Sat, Feb-09-02 16:46

NUTZ

I do so love my pistacheos as well as peanut butter. I enjoy natural pbutter on low carb toast. Gonna try it on the Atkins pancakes now too! The pbutter is easier for me to control. Once the brain thinks the stomach has had enough, I can put it away. I have also dipped low carb crackers in pbutter to get the pbutter! also hides the nasty cardboard taste of those crackers!
Still, it's a significant sorce of protien and vitamins. (I'm trying to tell myself that nuts aren't all bad for me personally!)
Part of it is that I do crave the salt. I'm trying to push more water to help rid me of the salt craving. I know I get plenty iodized from cooking, and natural from the foods I eat. I shouldn't be craving it. Hence the water.
Water, the root of all Whoosh Fairy visits!!!!
Murp

Joanna Sat, Feb-09-02 18:57

About nut butters

Hi Moonmist,

Try hazelnut butter. It has a naturally sweet taste. Yum! Delicious! :D

Joanna

moonmist Sun, Feb-10-02 00:00

where do i get hazelnut butter? or how do you make it? :confused:

doreen T Sun, Feb-10-02 00:04

Either a healthfood or natural foods store, or a large grocery store that has a natural foods section.

You won't regret it ;)

Doreen

murpel Sun, Feb-10-02 18:50

MMMMMMMM

Hazelnut butter. Sounds delicious. Any thoughts on ways to use it???? Other than out of the jar? Of course that would be my first choice. HE HE HE HE However, it could taste good on low carb bagles, or low carb toast.
Murp

Karen Sun, Feb-10-02 19:24

You can get all sorts of tasty nut butters. Macadamia, hazelnut and almond blend, plain almond, pumpkin seed. I even have a jar of hemp seed butter! :eek:

If you eat sweet things, thin them out with a little water and fold in some whipping cream and AS to taste. You can mix cocoa in with the butter before adding water for a chocolate nut pudding mousse-y kind of thing.

Very dangerous....at least for me!

Karen

doreen T Sun, Feb-10-02 21:22

I kinda like spreading a Tbsp or 2 of natural hazelnut or almond butter in a nice crunchy stalk of celery. :yum:

Doreen

moonmist Mon, Feb-11-02 01:46

i never put peanut butter on anything (even before LCing) i just eat it straight from the jar MMMMMMM, yummyness... lol! it can get kinda dangerous though, hehe.

DWRolfe Mon, Feb-11-02 09:31

Peanut butter...

Nut butters are excellent on crisp celery with a little cream cheese, too. YUM!

Donald

SLynnTx Mon, Feb-11-02 13:33

Where do u find these nut butters?