Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Semi Low-Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   [Zone] Heart Rate (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=128577)

CantEven Wed, Aug-06-03 15:12

Heart Rate

I was just going through Mastering The Zone and read about exercising for longer periods of time at a lower heart rate (below 70%). I currently circuit train (Curves) for 30 minutes 5x a week and then walk the treadmill for an hour (between 2.5 - 3.0m/h) 5x a week. I've actually gained so much weight last year that I had to work my way to this point - however, I won't complain since it is in the right direction. I also do yoga once a week.

Ok my question is - do I slow up my pace and workout in the 60% range or 50%..or? Dr. Sears didn't specify, from what I read, how much below 70% we should workout in. I have a heart rate monitor on with all of the above except yoga and I am about 70% with my treadmill and fluctuate at Curves depending on what machine I am on - although I work at recovering in between machines - even if that means standing still.

I am obese, take no medications - however the doctor told me recently after a blood test I was headed towards insulin resistence due to the following:

triglycerides: 246
Cholesterol: 212
chol/HDLC Ratio: 4.8

I've heard that obese people should stay in the 50% range - not sure if that is true.

Any thoughts? maybe this is a question for Zone Coach?

Thanks again for all your help. Everyone has been great!:clap:

~Danielle

ZoneCoach Wed, Aug-06-03 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
I was just going through Mastering The Zone and read about exercising for longer periods of time at a lower heart rate (below 70%). I currently circuit train (Curves) for 30 minutes 5x a week and then walk the treadmill for an hour (between 2.5 - 3.0m/h) 5x a week. I've actually gained so much weight last year that I had to work my way to this point - however, I won't complain since it is in the right direction. I also do yoga once a week.

Too much training at once (over 45-60 minutes) can be counter productive to your goals. If you can split the time into 2X per day instead of one session, you'd probably be better off. Also, I believe Curves only recommends running their circuit 3X/week.
Quote:
Ok my question is - do I slow up my pace and workout in the 60% range or 50%..or?
60-65% of your max is a general rule of thumb.
Quote:
I am obese, take no medications - however the doctor told me recently after a blood test I was headed towards insulin resistence due to the following:
triglycerides: 246
Cholesterol: 212
chol/HDLC Ratio: 4.8

The Zone should help to improve those numbers. You may want to consider supplementing with high quality fish oil as well.

CantEven Wed, Aug-06-03 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneCoach
Too much training at once (over 45-60 minutes) can be counter productive to your goals. If you can split the time into 2X per day instead of one session, you'd probably be better off.

I can split it up without a problem. I'm just curious as to why it may get me better results that way?

Quote:
Also, I believe Curves only recommends running their circuit 3X/week.

I keep getting mixed answers on that. One of the workers there told me 3x a week - another said I can go all week since it isn't intense strength training. I don't think most if any are certified fitness instructors at my Curves - so I don't know how much I should accept their advice. The first two months I attended, I went three times a week but my measurements were not improving. They said my inches went up in some places and my fat % went up( I get measured again tomorrow). However, I was on your typical ADA high carb low fat diet. Also, it is important to note that I don't work the summer and during the school year only two hours a day. So I do all this to make sure I don't sit on my ~rse. I'm transitioning out of a career and trying to go to school for massage therapy - In case anyone thought I had the best paying job in the world - LOL.

Quote:
60-65% of your max is a general rule of thumb.

I'll adjust my heart rate monitor so it beeps according to those numbers - thanks!

Quote:
The Zone should help to improve those numbers. You may want to consider supplementing with high quality fish oil as well.

I believe the Zone will help me.

I'm taking fish oil now - just wondering if they are the best ones to take. However, the pharmecutical grade may be a bit for my pocket.

~Danielle
:yay:

ZoneCoach Sun, Aug-10-03 14:19

Quote:
I can split it up without a problem. I'm just curious as to why it may get me better results that way?
If you have an opportunity to read Anti-Aging or Age Free Zone (same book, one was just published later than the other) by Dr. Sears, you'll learn a lot. It has to do with HGH (Human Growth Hormone), cortisol levels, etc. Too much to post here.

Quote:
I keep getting mixed answers on that. One of the workers there told me 3x a week - another said I can go all week since it isn't intense strength training. I don't think most if any are certified fitness instructors at my Curves - so I don't know how much I should accept their advice.
I can see why you'd be getting mixxed info on that. I could be on the fence with that one too, but without really seeing what YOUR workout is like, I can't say for sure. I would still be inclined to go the 3X/week route though. It is strength training nonetheless.
Quote:
I'm taking fish oil now - just wondering if they are the best ones to take. However, the pharmecutical grade may be a bit for my pocket.
Yes is can be pricey. There are many good brands out there, and if you're not taking HIGH doses, then what you find in a good health food store should be acceptable. I've done a lot of reasearch on the subject and posted a lot over in the supplements forum.

CantEven Mon, Aug-11-03 06:53

Quote:
If you have an opportunity to read Anti-Aging or Age Free Zone (same book, one was just published later than the other) by Dr. Sears, you'll learn a lot. It has to do with HGH (Human Growth Hormone), cortisol levels, etc. Too much to post here.

I haven't read this book. I will take it out of the library. Thank you for the recommendation.

Quote:
I can see why you'd be getting mixxed info on that. I could be on the fence with that one too, but without really seeing what YOUR workout is like, I can't say for sure. I would still be inclined to go the 3X/week route though. It is strength training nonetheless.

I agree! I am cutting down to 3x a week and working the machines to get my heart rate up to a more anaerobic state. I posted a long entry about Curves in the Exercise Forum on this board about heart rate and how I feel Curves - or at least my Curves - was giving me conflicting information about how to work their circuit. I will also try and split my routine which may now become hard starting in September since I am working more hours and a split shift. I am now using Curves as strength training and my treadmill 5x p/wk for 1 hour (3.0m/hr) for aerobic activity. * For anyone interested: I'm using Leslie Sansone's "Walk Off The Pounds" DVD and Denise Austin's "Hit The Spot" book - both I really enjoy - on days I can't make either the Gym or Curves... or as a supplement on some days.

Quote:
Yes is can be pricey. There are many good brands out there, and if you're not taking HIGH doses, then what you find in a good health food store should be acceptable. I've done a lot of reasearch on the subject and posted a lot over in the supplements forum.

Thanks for the research and effort you made. It is much easier for me due to your time. I purchased the Coromega which was one of your suggestions on the Vitamin/Supp. Forum.

ZoneCoach - I am not sure if you use protein powders but I have both Whey and Soy. If you have a recipe for a Zone Friendly Protein Shake you wouldn't mind sharing that would be great. Even if you can point me in a direction where I could find some. I found one that Dr. Sears recommends A scoop (depending on grams of protein) of protein powder, 2 cups of fruit, 2tsp olive oil. I try and eat whole foods as much as possible but some days time flys.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

~Danielle

ZoneCoach Wed, Aug-20-03 23:24

Protein Powder / Shakes

Quote:
ZoneCoach - I am not sure if you use protein powders but I have both Whey and Soy. If you have a recipe for a Zone Friendly Protein Shake you wouldn't mind sharing that would be great. Even if you can point me in a direction where I could find some. I found one that Dr. Sears recommends A scoop (depending on grams of protein) of protein powder, 2 cups of fruit, 2tsp olive oil. I try and eat whole foods as much as possible but some days time flys.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

~Danielle

Oh yes, I use protein powders. I am not a fan of soy (too chalky). I like the taste and "mixability" of Designer Whey, Optimum 100% Whey and Sci*Fit Whey (choc/peanut butter yumm :yum: ). I will also use EAS Lite which is an MRP and needs a little Zone tweaking.

A favorite shake is frozen strawberries, natural peanut butter, protein powder (vanilla), cooked steel cut oatmeal blended with water and ice. You'll need to work out your own Zone numbers :read: based on your powder and desired block count.