Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Foot and Leg Cramping (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=179786)

teresamay Wed, Apr-21-04 04:54

Foot and Leg Cramping

I have recently been experiencing a LOT of cramping in my left foot and leg. I am taking a multivitamin everyday, along with oil of oregeno. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this - or what is causing it? My vitamin has lots of magnesium.

AFwife Wed, Apr-21-04 05:00

I've been having the same problem too. Especially at night in bed, that sure hurts.

Hope to get an answer on this along with ya.

:)

Marebear Wed, Apr-21-04 05:16

I am prone to horrible leg cramps and these are things that have helped me - I take a suppliment for potassium and another for calcium, make sure I drink a lot of water, and keep my legs warm at night. This combination seems to work well for me.
Good luck - leg cramps suck!

notgivnup Wed, Apr-21-04 06:06

When I dieted before--and had leg cramps, my doctor put me on potassium pills. That worked for me. So far, no leg cramps yet, thank goodness!!

Lobstergal Wed, Apr-21-04 06:44

It sounds like you need some potassium, magnesium and some calcium.

You can get something called NOSALT which contains 650 mg of potassium per 1/4 teaspoon. You can either sprinkle it on your food in place of salt
or put a 1/4 teaspoon in a glass of water and drink it down. I found drinking it down the easiest to do.

Also get a calcium supplement with magnesium in it and take that along with your multivitamin and that should help get rid of the leg and foot cramps.

stephiewil Wed, Apr-21-04 06:50

Lots of water, and potassium. I looked into this as I also had terrible cramps, was even woken up once or twice in pain almost screaming. I take two potassium suppliments along with a calcium magnesium and zinc combo I get at Walmart.I also take a multi vit that has some in it too.
I also learned that not enough water will cause cramps and have found if I get close to a gallon in I do not need as much potassium . That is sure a miserable thing to go through, I hope you get relief soon !!! Stephie :)

teresamay Wed, Apr-21-04 07:53

thanks for the advice everyone - you know, my water has slgihtly decreased the last week as I have been run off my feet - I never thought about that - I will definetly get some supplements and up the water! :)

Vel Wed, Apr-21-04 07:58

Potassium all the way!

I take a cal/mag supplement too, but if I feel a leg cramp coming on, I take an extra potassium and can almost always forestall it. Cause those cramps are BRUTAL!

charleez Wed, Apr-21-04 09:31

Yep folks, Potassium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before Atkins I would eat bananas for something like that!!!

Now I would have a supplement of potassium!!!

Sorry about your cramps :( .

Charlie Girl

orchidday Wed, Apr-21-04 09:37

OUCH!!!!!!!! Those cramps are so painful! I started taking one multi-vitamin (centrum) and 600 mg. of calcium per day. Then I take 250 mg. Magnesium and 550 mg. of Potassium Gluconate three times per week. On this, I have never had a cramp.

Orchid

Renkin1990 Wed, Apr-21-04 10:48

I was experiencing the same problem. VERY PAINFUL! Jumping out of bed some times two and three times a night, because standing up (and sometimes walking) was the only way to release the cramp. My DBF (who got tired of hearing me every night) got me a multi vitamin and potassium just yesterday.
Today is my first day taking them. I hope it works.
It is nice to know I am not the only one with these cramps. I think that is one of my favorite things about this forum. :)
Thanks Guys!

Karen___L Wed, Apr-21-04 11:14

I take a good multi and a calcium/magnesium supplement every day and sprinkle my food with the potassium salt substitute.

When I have leg cramps in the night I jump out of bed and stand on both feet and bend forward just a bit. Then I make sure to eat at least half an avocado each of the next three or four days.

The only potassium supplement I can find in the 3 counties nearest my home only supply 3% of RDA per serving (I think one good sized pill). I believe that the supplements are so small because too much potassium can interfere with your heart's natural rhythm.

miristar Wed, Apr-21-04 13:08

I have to say "me too" to leg cramps if I forget my Potassium Gluconate ! I take a balanced Calclium Magnesium too which I think helps. But the Potassium is big for prevention.

Leg cramps are awful!

MISSRED197 Wed, Apr-21-04 13:16

Yeah I had those to when I first started and where I get weighed in at they told me to take potassium and it worked. Much much better!!!

lowcarbjo Wed, Apr-21-04 14:41

I can't take poassium cuz of the BP meds I'm on and I too had these wicked cramps. I take Calcium and magenesium ...both are separate tabs... MAKE SURE you either take along with or by Calcium that contains VIT D.... the calcium will NOT metabolize / absorb properly in your body without the Vit D... you wind up peeing it all out with No benefits.