Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How bad did I just screw up? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173292)

dalejr8fan Wed, Mar-17-04 08:45

How bad did I just screw up?

I've been wanting a steak, egg and cheese bagel from McDonalds for the last few days. Today I finally got one. I took the "innards" off the bagel (and threw it away). I did however eat the steak, egg and cheese (with a bit of the sauce they put on it - which is perhaps butter and seasonings?). I'm on day 5 of induction, weight is bouncing up and down.

Did I just totally screw myself? AHHHHHHHHH! I feel so guilty for eating it now. I truly want to make myself throw it back up, but, well.. I hate to vomit! :lol:

I checked my carb book and it said that a steak, egg and cheese bagel has 57g of carbs - but I'm assuming that's WITH the bagel, which I didn't eat.

Have I just sabotaged myself? Should I start all over with induction or will I be ok?

Thanks!

Brandee ~

teresamay Wed, Mar-17-04 08:47

It doesn't sound bad at all, you threw away the bagel, and the only other problem is that the cheese was probably processed, but all in all, I think you will be ok...nothing to beat yourself up over, at least you threw away the worst part!...Just get back on the wagon...

good luck :)

Hilary M Wed, Mar-17-04 08:55

You probably only ate at most 3-5 carbs. Don't sweat it! We low-carbers get burgers and sandwiches all the time, and just dump the bun. You did fine!

dreamnfae Wed, Mar-17-04 08:59

I agree with teresamay. I would look up just the bagel and subtract the amount of carbs for that from the rest, and you should have the correct # of carbs for what you ate. You should be okay, I have had the steak egg and cheese bagel my self, its one of my faves, but as long as you removed the bagel, you should be fine. the sauce part is mostly mayo, and the grease from the steak, of course, but that is what I would do. A bagel about the size of what you had is about 50 carbs, so its not too bad at all.

hugs,
Terrie

bfritz_pa Wed, Mar-17-04 09:01

You didn't screw up at all.. Just limit your carbs more the rest of the day...

sunspine17 Wed, Mar-17-04 09:10

I haven't done it with the breakfast sandwiches but I do "fast food burger-- throw away the bun" on occasion. I wouldn't worry about it carb-wise. On another note, it's probably not the most quality meat and like mentioned, the cheese is probably processed. The sauce may have had some carbs but it can't be THAT many (I'm not familiar off hand with the sauce they put on it). But as long as it's an occasional thing and not your everyday breakfast, I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Fun5oh Wed, Mar-17-04 10:11

If you go here http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_contro...tems.index.html

You are able to customize McDonalds items and get the nutritional info. Without the bagel you had 3 carbs! I wish more places had this option available! :)

dalejr8fan Wed, Mar-17-04 11:08

Thank you all very much for your responses! I'm glad I didn't totally blow things by caving to that craving.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I also picked the onions off. According to that McD's website (thank you for posting the link!), I had 2g of carbs.

You guys are the best! Thanks again!

Brandee ~

MaggieP Wed, Mar-17-04 13:26

Just one last thing...I don't know if you meant it about the getting yourself to throw it up, but if you were serious that really isn't the best way to go. It can lead to some very dangerous behaviors, which are probably better to avoid! :eek:

Even if you do have a big "off the wagon" day (and most of us have, at one time or another), its much better just to chalk it up to being human and start over again the next day. Luckily, that wagon of yours was more on track than you thought! :p

SusanKH Thu, Mar-18-04 08:35

I frequently go to McDonalds, order a sausage and egg McMuffin, no cheese, and when it comes throw away the bun. It satiates me until lunch time, and I'm losing steadily. The most important thing is to tell yourself you're doing good. Positive pep talk from yourself is so effective, and it's something no one can take away from you!

Rosie Real Thu, Mar-18-04 08:51

Yeah, I agree, that's a good breakfast and low in carbs! :)

Some of the bagel sandwiches have 53 or 54 carbs, but they list the bagels at 50 carbs :eek: so you're all good.

Probably a great ratio of fat to protein too :)

dalejr8fan Thu, Mar-18-04 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieP
Just one last thing...I don't know if you meant it about the getting yourself to throw it up, but if you were serious that really isn't the best way to go. It can lead to some very dangerous behaviors, which are probably better to avoid! :eek:

Even if you do have a big "off the wagon" day (and most of us have, at one time or another), its much better just to chalk it up to being human and start over again the next day. Luckily, that wagon of yours was more on track than you thought! :p

I wasn't serious about throwing it up. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I would never, ever throw up my food on purpose! Absolutely not!

Brandee ~

slim4life Thu, Mar-18-04 10:32

Dale-

I find it totally interesting that you said you've only been on this 5 days yet in a previous post on another thread,you were so upset and ready to give up as if you had been on this WOL at least a month or so. Five days is nothing. You compred it tgo eating jail food. I highly think that steak and egg and cheese is jail food. You also said yesterday on the other post that you had a steak and egg bagel "inwards" yesterday as well and it was only about 2grams..... so you knew it didn't mess you up...so my question is...why is it that today you're on another post asking if you ruined your self, you knew how many grams were in that before you posted today asking. I think you know what to eat and what not to. Support isn't people telling you what you already know or acting as if you don't to get people to say encouraging things to you. Be true to yourself first and foremost.

rosey1 Thu, Mar-18-04 10:52

slim, i think you have dale mixed up with someone else. she is not the one who said a month. and also, she posted this one about the bagel b4 she posted in the other thread. i think you are being a bit harsh here!

you can tell what day and time the posts were wrote by looking in the top left corner over each person's name.
while you may have just posted here today, the thread was actually started yesterday morning at 9:45 a.m

slim4life Thu, Mar-18-04 11:07

Rosey-

Okay, I apologize for the mix up about the time and when the post was put down. I never said that she said she had been on it about a month....I merely stated she acted (on the other thread) as if she had been on it that long at least. It's impossible to gage anything after five days. I mean she was really irritated and negative on the other thread. She even jumped on another poster about a comment she made which was not at all to offend. My question is....even if she posted this before....she knows it is something she's doing....and her comparing the food to "jail food" was a bit extreme. I was only pointing out that it seems as if she wants to be pacified more so than supported.