Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   itchy skin since Atkins?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=83586)

Lcookster Thu, Jan-30-03 10:26

itchy skin since Atkins??

HI guys- This is my first post! I have been reading and learning a lot. This Sunday I will have completed four weeks, staying on Induction. I have been careful to read my labels, drink my water, take my vitamins. About a week ago I started 'itching' all over! It looks like very tiny, tiny bumps-especially on my legs. Almost like a barely-there rash. I have been moisturizing with a fragrance free lotion but I can't figure this out!! Has anybody else had this? I saw a post where people had it after they had binged on sugar but I haven't. Any insight? Thanks-Leslie

ysabella Thu, Jan-30-03 12:53

Me too

However, I don't have any sage advice, because I haven't figured out what caused it either. The only theories I have are that the sweat or extra showering from working out is bothering me, or the anti-static dryer sheets are a problem (since everything else I use is unscented, holistic earth-friendly type stuff), or maybe the baby oil I was using as moisturizer is plugging up my pores somehow.

I think people on this forum might also suggest a yeast issue - if it is, I hope it's screaming yeast death and won't come back. :mad:

So, I took a couple warm baths, used really gentle non-soap baby wash on my skin, stopped using lotion, stopped using the dryer sheets, and it's going away.

If you think it could be a yeast thing, you can cut out cheese and mushrooms, and take in some live-culture yogurt or some acidophilus pills, or see your doctor for some yeast-killing pills.

In my case, I'm asthmatic and tend to get ezcema sometimes - do you have any issues like that?

Good luck, and I hope yours goes away (mine mostly has). Oh, I have put in a few more carbs than Induction, maybe there's something in carbs that affects the skin? Just a thought.

Cheers,

vbrowne Thu, Jan-30-03 14:10

ysabella

Hi, I don't know where you live, but 'tis the season for dry skin. I get those little bumps every year - I use dead sea salt (exfoliant) and a loofa and it makes it much better, then of course a moisturizer. I've never associated it to LCing at all.

Vikki

TeriDoodle Thu, Jan-30-03 14:18

For whatever this is worth to you.... I've always had very dry itchy skin during the winter but this year I've been taking Omega 3 fish oil (as well as many other vitamins) and my skin has REALLY improved!!

If it persists, or gets worse, or if you have associated joint pain or tooth sensitivity...anything like that... you should call your doctor. Perhaps you're allergic to some new food...or developed one? Eggs maybe????