Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Mini goals... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=156876)

Star85 Sun, Jan-04-04 10:58

Mini goals...

Howdy everyone

I've noticed that a lot of people have "mini goals" that they are striving to meet. I think its a great idea to breakdown the weightloss journey into little increments, and I want to make one of my own. I was thinking of making it my mini goal to be 200 lbs by Valentines day...it sounds pretty ambitious even to myself, but I was just wondering what others thought. Is it too much too soon? Am I being realistic and reasonable? Any advice would be appreciated!

~*shannon*~

Kelly_L Sun, Jan-04-04 11:05

I only loose on average 1.5 pounds per week so that would be a stretch for me, but everyone is different. And it all depends on how you deal with it if you don’t make your goal. Some people set the standards too high and when they don’t reach it the give up. Others like to reach for the stars. What's that saying " Ah, but a mans reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for?"

Anyway, you know yourself best so you need to decide.
Kelly

Star85 Sun, Jan-04-04 14:13

Thanks for the response Kelly!

Well, I think I would be disappointed to not reach my mini goal, but any loss is better than none, so how bad could it be? :)

I don't know...I haven't been doing Atkins long enough to determine whether I'm a fast, slow, or average fat loser.

I've been on induction since Jan 2nd, and have gone down 5.5 lbs. I'm not really sure what standard induction loss is, but that seems pretty good to me!

I just want to set reasonable goals for myself. 200 by Valentines day doesn't seem SOOOO far fetched, but I'm not really sure. Would 210 or 215 be more realistic???

~*shannon*~

Kelly_L Sun, Jan-04-04 17:43

Hi Shannon
I think the most I've ever see someone consistently loose is one lady in the forum who said she drops about 2.5 pounds every week. Others might do more but I haven't read anyone doing it. When I first went on induction I seem to recall dropping 7 pounds the first week (Water weight they call it, felt great what ever it was!!) then I settled into the pattern of 1.5 a week until I stalled in September and again in December. If I were you I would try for 215. If you surpass that then double bonus!!
I don’t want to sound like I’m lecturing or being a party pooper but I have seen so many people introduce themselves and after a few weeks they are gone. Have to figure that they get discouraged and quit because they set themselves up for failure by thinking that the pounds are just going to vanish overnight.

Anyway whatever you decide, you have made the right choice in joining the forum. Everyone here is supportive and generous with praise and encouragement.

Kelly

CozyCorner Sun, Jan-04-04 18:12

Hello-

I set a mini goal for myself of 16.5 lbs for Valentine's and I worried that I might be a bit ambitious on that because that would be a little over 2.5 a week.

On the other hand, I want to aim high and challenge myself to stick to my plan. To accomplish my goal I am going to have to be faithful in not cheating and in getting my exercise and the point of the goal is to spur me on to do this.

So once I thought it all over I decided I would leave it at 16.5 lbs and if I don't make it, knowing that I gave it my all, then I will be happy with any loss I achieve if I know that I did my best.

Good luck with your mini goal, whatever you decide on,and hang in there.

memaw O5 Sun, Jan-04-04 19:46

My question is how do you get your goals to come up every time you post?

Wenzday Sun, Jan-04-04 20:08

memaw... click on profile at the top of the page and click on signature than make yourself a signature! :D

I am trying for 15 and dont know how likely it is... trying hard though! I love 5 pounds some weeks and none for some weeks...ya never know!

Bjuba Sun, Jan-04-04 20:48

Hi Shannon
I am with Kelly -- keep your goals manageable - the first loss during induction seems to be higher -- then it slows -- I have lost an average of 2 lbs per week - but there were weeks with no loss ect ...

Star85 Mon, Jan-05-04 09:39

Thanks for your advice everyone! I think I'm going to aim for 215 by Valentines day, if its more than that, then I will just prolong my happy dance!

~*shannon*~

tgill32177 Mon, Jan-05-04 12:07

Mini goals are funny things. I have learned so much from them. I have made a few that I set out for myself and then failed miserably at others.
For instance, I made a minigoal to make it to 150 by Sept 30th....well look at my stats...I haven't made it there yet. These last few pounds are TONS harder to get off. I haven't let it stop me though.
Don't let NOT making a goal stop you from sticking with it. I am 16 oz away from losing 80 lbs...I never would have made it this far if I let NOT making my minigoal in Sept stop me from this WOL.
Keep on keeping on...it's SOOOOOOO worth it!
Best wishes for you,
Tanya

CozyCorner Mon, Jan-05-04 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgill32177
For instance, I made a minigoal to make it to 150 by Sept 30th....well look at my stats...I haven't made it there yet. These last few pounds are TONS harder to get off. I haven't let it stop me though.
Don't let NOT making a goal stop you from sticking with it. I am 16 oz away from losing 80 lbs...I never would have made it this far if I let NOT making my minigoal in Sept stop me from this WOL.
Keep on keeping on...it's SOOOOOOO worth it!
Best wishes for you,
Tanya

Great Job on your weight loss Tanya and Great job on your attitude too. Its people like you who have kept on plugging along that are inspirational to those of us just starting out on our journey! :thup: